Popular Tags: slater_mentions_RSP [+] [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't bother me one bit, to me it's words in a game that help describe components or concepts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capitalization in RSP, in 3...2...1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God or Gods is a proper name, tile isn't part of the name
as for not capitalizing it its more of a cultural thing that started with the phrase "God with a capital G" so its been kinda transformed over the years though from what I gather thats all fairly recent

edit...as for that link I was told similar but still would write "the Greek Gods" as thats a group name rather than descriptive (I'd agree with the other example)
ermmm to be honest I never got all that high of a grade in english and will most likely never capitalize god when not specifically thinking about it as its just habit to not capitalize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gameon39481 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

It's grammar though. I think probably much of the issue is translation is coming from German where all nouns are capitalized. It's probably one of the more difficult aspects for translators.
Maybe, but I cannot say what I want with out RSPiing the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't bother me. It's small potatoes compared to the rest of the disaster which these things are. But you are correct on the usage and I'd say deviations from it were wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

No reason to unless someone is specifically trying to turn it into RSP and an ugly argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OWL usually is what I go by.
what I don't get is why is it "the Greek gods" and not Greek Gods? Doesn't that fall under proper nouns as a organization?
its Supreme Court not Supreme court
(another edit, I hope everyone reading this understands I'm arguing this because everything points to me being wrong and I'm just trying to understand...numbers are my skill set, not letters)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Temple
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Google-Fu is failing me. What is RSP?

Retail Service Provider?
Rover Special Products?
Replaceable Stripper Plate?
Recreational Sex Partner?

None of these seem to fit the topic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
red_templar wrote:
My Google-Fu is failing me. What is RSP?

Retail Service Provider?
Rover Special Products?
Replaceable Stripper Plate?
Recreational Sex Partner?

Joke?

Religion, Sex, Politics.

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/14/boardgamegeek/religion-se...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
gameon39481 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

It's grammar though. I think probably much of the issue is translation is coming from German where all nouns are capitalized. It's probably one of the more difficult aspects for translators.

But surely it's not honestly JUST grammar, right? Why are you singling this one word out compared to so many others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gameon39481 wrote:
Does this trend bother anyone else? Especially it makes it very difficult to introduce these games to people with strong religious backgrounds, I think.

It would bother me slightly as it's bad grammar but I've not actually come across it. I doubt it would make introducing a game more difficult with many people - I'd doubt there are that many people who are in the category who would refuse to play a game that has "God tiles & minor God tokens" but would play the same game if it had "god tiles & minor god tokens". I'd guess most would play regardless or not play regardless. It's fairly clear that God vs god is bad grammar rather than a statement on the existence of the gods in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
by the Gods, I have bite seen it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
But surely it's not honestly JUST grammar, right? Why are you singling this one word out compared to so many others?

Because he thinks using God rather than god might put off people with strong religious beliefs - I'd guess these strong beliefs were not in the Greek Pantheon. I don't think he is correct - I suspect people who don't want to play a game with God tiles would also not want to play a game with god tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red_templar wrote:
...Recreational Sex Partner?

well I did bring up the greek gods they had plenty of that RSP which also happened to lead to bad fits of rage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
gameon39481 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Actually it is. It's only capitalized in English if it's a proper name. If you mean gods as in a type of entity then it's lower case; if you mean God as in an entity's name then capitalize it.

Examples:
"Is God a god?"
"Do you believe in God?"
"Do you believe in gods?"
"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, say YES!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Nope, doesn't bother me at all, and I am a Christian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vid Dles
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
OWL usually is what I go by.
what I don't get is why is it "the Greek gods" and not Greek Gods? Doesn't that fall under proper nouns as a organization?
its Supreme Court not Supreme court
(another edit, I hope everyone reading this understands I'm arguing this because everything points to me being wrong and I'm just trying to understand...numbers are my skill set, not letters)

"Greek gods" isn't an organization. It's a group of gods from Greece.

Groups are not necessarily organizations. Some are, some aren't.

A good indicator is whether it makes sense to ask when the group was founded. It's perfectly sensible to ask, "When was the Supreme Court founded?" But, it doesn't make sense to ask, "When were the Australian kangaroos founded?"

Bear in mind that it's not an issue of whether a time can be specified (some informal organizations do not have a discernible start date); rather, it's an issue of whether the question itself makes sense.

For what it's worth, if there was a football team called "The Greek Gods," then "Gods" would be capitalized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
gameon39481 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Actually it is. It's only capitalized in English if it's a proper name. If you mean gods as in a type of entity then it's lower case; if you mean God as in an entity's name then capitalize it.

Examples:
"Is God a god?"
"Do you believe in God?"

This nails it for me. I find the use in Bora Bora to be wrong. They are not referring to the god of the Bible (the Christian bible)known as YHWH or Lord or God. Often using an article will clue you in.

Am I offended? Absolutely not, I do find it funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Coren wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
gameon39481 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Examples:
"Is God a god?"
"Do you believe in God?"

Almost, it can also be capitalized when used as a title, the rank sort of title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I see nothing offensive other than displaying a lack of understanding English capitalization rules.

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
gameon39481 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Hey, someone just started a thread about color-blindness that implied that gamers weren't normal adults. Surely that is more offensive.

In any case, if I entered every BGG thread that made me think, "Why in the world would anybody care about this" to ask them I'd be here all day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought. If a game had "god" as lowercase used in such a way where it should be capitalized it might make me wonder if it was just a grammatical error or had some agenda. There is a game that has a "God" token that is definitely referring to the god of the Bible. If this was lowercase I might find it strange.

It would not prevent me from playing the game. (not by itself.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gameon39481 wrote:
I think probably much of the issue is translation is coming from German where all nouns are capitalized. It's probably one of the more difficult aspects for translators.

As Josiah already mentioned it's just a translation issue. The german language capitalizes every noun, so there's no difference between a specific god or an arbitraty one. The translator maybe remembered that 'God' is capitalized in the english language, not knowing about the distinction between upper and lower case version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McDonald
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FOR FUTURE GAME RULES WRITERS, I RECOMMEND SIMPLY USING ALL CAPS. THAT WAY, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW IF YOU ARE CAPITALIZING GOD... IN THE CASE THAT YOU OFFEND SOMEONE BECAUSE YOU USED AN UPPER/LOWER CASE 'G'.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It doesn't bother me either way; but, I do know a couple people it would bother if it wasn't capitalized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.