Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Devir
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need some clarification on the Search action...

Rules suggests that it is one action to take a search.

In that action, the player can play as many eligible cards as he/she wants to advance the search. In addition, any available bonuses for character type (military/medical), structure presence or location-specific cards are applied.

Clear enough.

But:

If I have more than one action available and multiple city cards that advance the search, wouldn't it be a better benefit to perform multiple searches so that the bonuses would count with each search action taken?

For example in October:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I start my turn in City Zero, which has a Military Base, and search for the paranoid soldier. I can use one search action and play three eligible city cards thus advancing the search 4 spots.

However it would make much more sense to spend three actions to search three times (once for each card) which would result in the search advancing 6 times (twice per action)!

Is that a legal play? The rules don't state that you can only search once per turn do they?

I suppose if you had only one action left to play, being able to advance the search multiple times in one action might be worth it, even if not the optimal strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I believe that, if you have actions to spare, searching one discard at a time (plus bonuses each time) is valid - the balance here is that actions spent searching are not being spent on other useful things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Agreed.

Though it does mean you can save an action if your search would otherwise put you within a single spot of success: just drop in an extra card right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't think there's a functional difference between the two options, is there?

You get a bonus from discarding a card and you get a bonus for having the military base.

So your first option is:

Action, discard 3 cards - advance 4 spaces
Action, discard 0 cards - advance 1 space
Action, discard 0 cards - advance 1 space

6 spaces advanced

Second option:

Action, discard 1 card - advance 2 spaces

6 spaces advanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the assumption is that you can't take a search action at all unless you discard at least 1 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Devir
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
I believe the assumption is that you can't take a search action at all unless you discard at least 1 card.

That is the rule. So, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well, crap. There's the rule I've been playing wrong, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas S
Germany
Frankfurt/Main
flag msg tools
Timbero...
badge
...de corazon!
mb
I know it's two years later, but I just happen to have another question relating to the very same subject:

Do I only get the character bonus (i.e. you advance an additional space on the search track) if there is another character of the required type in the city while I am doing the search action, or is it enough if my own character (the one that is actually doing the search) has the required symbol?

Specifically, we used the operations expert to find the soldier in September. Because he's a military character, I advanced the token two spaces every time he did a search. Was that right, or should there have been a second military character in the city for the bonus?

I came across this because I play the German-language version, and on the search track, it says "Für jeden Militärcharakter in der Stadt rückt der Suchtrupp pro Suchaktion 1 zusätzliches Feld vor", which literally translates to "For any military character in the city, the search party advances 1 additional space per search action." I just watched September of the Dice Tower play-through, and when Tom Vasel reads the search track to the others (2:49 min), he says "each other military character in the city", which sounds different from the way I understood the rule. It makes it sounds as if in order to get the bonus, there would have to be at least two military characters present at the moment of the search action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine says "For each (symbol) character in the city". The word "other" is not used, and I interpreted it to include the character performing the search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas S
Germany
Frankfurt/Main
flag msg tools
Timbero...
badge
...de corazon!
mb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.