B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the third hour of a Run that hadn’t really gone our way for a while. Insertion had been via air, so the only way out was on foot, through “disputed turf” between a few of the local gangs. Tonight was no different than any other night, so everyone was shooting at everyone indiscriminately and there we were, caught in the middle. Make it to the rail station and we’d be on our way home. Make the wrong move and we’d wake up in a Doc Wagon facility poorer for the experience.

To make matters worse, my larynx had seized up and if I talked, I was going to be coughing up a lung, or worse. Silence was the best answer. We needed everything we had.

“Options! I need options!” Bitsy said over my comm link – at least I could hear her request. “I’ve got my Pair Programming expert system ready to go, but if it doesn’t have something to latch onto, we’re screwed!”

I was in desperate need of rest, and I’d be taking stock of all my own options again in a moment. Finding my own inner strength, I first checked that I was Linked In and then quickly cycled my options with a quick Divination. Now, anything I did, Bitsy would be able to do as well.

In a flurry of activity, I unloaded everything I had into clearing my voice issue and then pumping every bit of damage I could muster into the Gang Leader in front of me. Bitsy wanted options? She was going to have options. Among my flurry were an email to a Black Market Contact with some fast Negotiation.

After a quick call to our Johnson to yell at him (and thankfully, not have anything else Cross our path), Bitsy went to work. She Hacked her Pair Programming expert to allow her to recur my Double Double which then duplicated the only action it could… The Pair Programming. This time the expert system redialed my Black Market Contacts, allowing a quick drop ship of Bitsy’s Drone Army which boosted her final Quick Shot just enough to allow me to mop up everything just after she went down in a blaze of Glory. I had enough to finish off the obstacles in our way which let us board the train with me supporting her into the closest seat. Any Run you walk away from is a good Run.

What actually happened:
It was the third scene and I was in a situation where I only had one card left to draw from my deck. This would mean I’d have no discard after my turn, so I had to force myself to cycle my discard into my draw pile to allow my wife to have something useful to pull out with her Pair Programming card.

Unable to speak, because I needed every single one of my cards, I first recurred the Jacked In from the discard, tossing an unimportant basic card. I then forced a deck cycle with Divination so anything I played would be available in my Discard Pile after I was done. Negotiation, a basic Skill card and Black Market Contacts let me buy the Double-Double from the Black Market with the 5 Nuyen I had left over after not buying anything headed into Scene three. As I put the silencing Obstacle (first) into the discard and distributed the payoff from it I said “I hope that’s good enough for you” and my wife smiled. The other obstacle in front of me also got destroyed, which was a nice payoff and let me buy two inexpensive cards (to include a Shatter) from the Black Market for mop-up purposes next turn.

Then she played Pair Programming and discarded a basic Hack, selected my Double-Double which only had one legal target (her own Pair Programming) and this time selected my Black Market Contacts, allowing her to purchase the Drone Army, which she played with a Basic Quick Shot which took all of her obstacles to a point I could finish them on my turn.

She was staggered, I was down to 1 hit point, but we walked away from it.

Who says this game doesn’t have a storyline?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... selected my Double-Double which only had one legal target (her own Pair Programming)

I thought Double-Double played a card from the Black Market? Wait... I remember what it does now.

Enjoyed the read!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
Quote:
... selected my Double-Double which only had one legal target (her own Pair Programming)

I thought Double-Double played a card from the Black Market?

Enjoyed the read!

Double Double is Red/Blue/Grey and "Play a card that's already been played."

You're probably thinking of "Hack the World" which lets you play a Black Market Card of value 6 or less directly from the Black Market (and then discard it to the Black Market Discard).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
DoctaWho wrote:
Quote:

I thought Double-Double played a card from the Black Market?

Enjoyed the read!

Double Double is Red/Blue/Grey and "Play a card that's already been played."

You're probably thinking of "Hack the World" which lets you play a Black Market Card of value 6 or less directly from the Black Market (and then discard it to the Black Market Discard).

That's indeed the card I was thinking of. I play the Decker, so I guess I think only "Decker thoughts" laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a combo we found by accident, but had my wife not indicated she needed *something* in my discard, I don't think we would've walked out of that Scene with anything but memories. The fact I couldn't talk to her to tell her what I was doing just made things more interesting.

Karma is as much a measure of *player* skill as it is minor upgrades to the characters being played.

Playing a Social Adept lately, Double Double is almost a must buy if it comes up (and usually I'm grabbing it for well below list cost due to Negotiation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Tennison
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! I love the story you built. Please write more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amethyst246 wrote:
Great session report! I love the story you built. Please write more!

I regret not documenting a Run a week ago where in Scene Three we kept getting shot at by a Dragon Sniper and did the last six levels of damage in one shot.

If I remember to take notes I'll probably write more in the future. Campaigning with my wife in this game is proving to be very rewarding and it's fun to try to find order in a random shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.