BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Champions of Midgard: depth? replay value? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been hesitant to purchase a worker placement game due to the often rather dry theme and long playtimes.

But I've been really interested in Champions of Midgard.

It looks great, with a good mix of mechanics.

But for those of you who have played it several times, would you say that there is depth of strategy to the game? Enough variety to have you coming back for play after play?

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. As the designer said at BGGcon, you're not going to win if you don't attack monsters. Which can be a plus or minus depending on how you feel about things.

For me, it's a little more interesting than Stone Age but not as deep. The theme is a little bit better, albeit feeling pasted on to me, and does play in a fairly short amount of time. So maybe it is for you.

Have you looked at Ninjato? It's a hybrid game that involves WP which I think is much more interesting, engaging, and more developed theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
Not really. As the designer said at BGGcon, you're not going to win if you don't attack monsters. Which can be a plus or minus depending on how you feel about things.

For me, it's a little more interesting than Stone Age but not as deep. The theme is a little bit better, albeit feeling pasted on to me, and does play in a fairly short amount of time. So maybe it is for you.

Have you looked at Ninjato? It's a hybrid game that involves WP which I think is much more interesting, engaging, and more developed theme.

Ninjato isn't worker placement as there is no blocking. It is action selection.

In regards to CoM, you will need to have a diverse plan even if that plan isn't exactly all that deep. You need to attack the monsters, but you will fail if that's all you do. You will benefit far more from attacking all three types of creatures. I have some issues with the game in terms of possible balance, but it is a rather solid game. It doesn't have a ton a replay, but there's nothing an expansion couldn't fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got CoM after wanting both my wife and I had wanted it for a while. It is a very fun and solid game. Our finish was exciting and came down to the wire. I thought for sure I had won the first game due to my dumping blame tokens and her collecting a bunch of them in the last few rounds (they are exponentially negative points based on how many you have at the end) but as we counted backwards there was a climactic moment where we were both holding our breath - and she ended up with TWO MORE POINTS THAN ME!

I easily see enough replay value to get our monies worth. The luck of the dice, the strategy of placing your worker or getting beat out of the spot you want..yeah, it is a solid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion!
I hadn't heard of Ninjato, but it looks pretty neat!

There are so many cool looking games out there. Tough to know what to go for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Morka
Finland
Salo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Manhattan project? Its quite fun.

Then there is also another Viking themed worker placement game, Raiders of the north sea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a decent game. I'm not sure what your player count is, but I don't like it with 2p. It's not tight enough and you can really do anything you want. It's much better at 4p.

It does have replayability due to the cards that come out each game. And the way the games play out. As for depth of strategy? We're talking about a gateway game so no.

As for your other comments about dry theme and long play times? I disagree with you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
Mat628 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion!
I hadn't heard of Ninjato, but it looks pretty neat!

There are so many cool looking games out there. Tough to know what to go for.

It really is better than CoM even if it isn't the newest and has the most buzz.

matthean wrote:
Ninjato isn't worker placement as there is no blocking. It is action selection.

In regards to CoM, you will need to have a diverse plan even if that plan isn't exactly all that deep. You need to attack the monsters, but you will fail if that's all you do. You will benefit far more from attacking all three types of creatures.

Monsters = creatures in my book. Saying that it has variety because you can attack these guys over here versus those guys over there doesn't make a distinction, just a judgment on what your dice are best suited to do that turn. You're just gathering dice and then rolling dice and taking damage to lose dice.

The distinction between WP and AS seems blurry to me here. You are blocked from rewards as things disappear off of the board. And when you choose to raid a particular dojo nobody else can for that turn (IIRC). It's pretty much identical to being able to attack these monsters over here versus those guys over there in CoM. And going over to this space to take this card, which is now gone, is similar to saying that you can go over to this space versus that space which has a different reward. Or something like Yunnan which is billed as auction WP where multiple people can place in the same choice, just for increasing costs for the later placements. Every review of Ninjato describes it as WP; are they all wrong? And I guess at the end of the day, is this a meaningful distinction for the OP's concerns? Either way we can both agree you have a Euro-esque selection mechanic put together with a theme and touch of randomness to create a hybrid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
Every review of Ninjato describes it as WP; are they all wrong?

Yes. The difference isn't that a resources is merely gone, it is the fact that another player can't go to that spot at all until the beginning of the next round. If you pick one of 5 actions, and then the player after you picks from the remaining ones, that's not worker placement. That's them selecting an action. Worker placement is you picking something and preventing someone from getting any of the other options.

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Glossary#toc234

Quote:
Players, in turn order, place tokens (aka workers) to select various actions presented on a board, cards, tiles, etc. Once an action is selected, it usually cannot be selected again on that round.

CoM has the later as multiple people can have their workers go hunting. Ninjato never includes blocking.

Also note, Ninjato's mechanics section likely updates having or not having WP listed twice a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Yes. The difference isn't that a resources is merely gone, it is the fact that another player can't go to that spot at all until the beginning of the next round. If you pick one of 5 actions, and then the player after you picks from the remaining ones, that's not worker placement. That's them selecting an action. Worker placement is you picking something and preventing someone from getting any of the other options.

IIRC if you raid a dojo other players are blocked from raiding that same one that turn.

In CoM you don't block people from fighting things. One person can select to go across the ocean and fight monsters. And then a second person can go across the ocean and fight a different monster. And then a third person can go across the ocean and fight a different monster if they have a boat. Or they can choose to go and fight 1 of the 4 monsters that don't require you to cross the ocean. So can we say that the only WP aspect of CoM is the handful of options that give resources and really it's primarily an action selection game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about The Manhattan Project? It has a very unique theme, great mechanics, and plays fairly quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.