Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier Lloyd
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I had a thought last night. Boardgaming isn't super popular as a hobby in Jamaica, but we do get quite a bit of tourists, especially in the winter months.

When travelling overseas for vacation or otherwise, do you look around to see if there are any local places to play? If so, where is the first place you look?

No game stores or board game cafes exist out here so I thought I'd like to facilitate vacationing gamers if possible. What would be the best way to let people know?

Xavier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. I've often thought it would be great if there was somewhere to access some games when on Holidays.

Close access to accommodation and a nice place with views etc to enjoy whilst in between turns etc would be what I'd want most.

In saying that we tend to play quite a bit of pool/darts etc at pubs when we travel, so games would generally fit in at those locations (If not too busy).

If you set one up, it would just be a matter of dropping off pamphlets in all the surrounding hotels/accommodation with their collections of things to do... We always check these out when travelling, to make sure we don't miss out on any fun things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I don't know how things are in Kingston, but a few years ago I went to Negril for vacation and there's a bunch of small private resorts. Out there I would think it would be good to contact their owners and set up a time to visit the property and have a few games to play in the after lunch/before dinner hours. That might be a good way to find some gamers.

Personally I wouldn't look for a place to play while on vacation, but that's probably because we play mostly two player games and I'd have my wife with me and a few games with us. Hell, we brought Ticket To Ride with us to Negril! The whole box!

P.S. I would love to come to Kingston and go to Sabina Park for a day of test cricket, but, not sure it's terribly safe and my wife won't take a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Lloyd
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
I don't know how things are in Kingston, but a few years ago I went to Negril for vacation and there's a bunch of small private resorts. Out there I would think it would be good to contact their owners and set up a time to visit the property and have a few games to play in the after lunch/before dinner hours. That might be a good way to find some gamers.

Personally I wouldn't look for a place to play while on vacation, but that's probably because we play mostly two player games and I'd have my wife with me and a few games with us. Hell, we brought Ticket To Ride with us to Negril! The whole box!

P.S. I would love to come to Kingston and go to Sabina Park for a day of test cricket, but, not sure it's terribly safe and my wife won't take a chance.

Things in that part of Kingston have actually come a long way in terms of safety. Feel free to drop me a message if you ever change your mind! To digress a bit more, CPL 20-20 cricket is coming up. It's not quite test cricket but is always very exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Lloyd
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. To clarify, I suppose I am a bit far from the traditional tourist spots. I live 4 hours drive from Negril and about 2-3 hours from most of the other popular areas. Those guys wouldn't be my target for obvious reasons.

I don't suppose that a great many people vacation in the capital but I have noted a marked increase in foreigners since the turn of the year. Leaving pamphlets in surrounding hotels is definitely an option. I didn't think of that before. My mind was going along the lines of creating a meetup on meetup.com, or maybe having a simple website that would show up in a Google search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.