6 Posts

The Voyages of Marco Polo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Favor of the Khan? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
I have a rule question about the Favor of the Khan action space, which I haven't found an answer to in the FAQ or here on the forum:

Am I allowed to play a lower die than the previous in the Favor of the Khan action space, and pay the number of pips in coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emusand wrote:
I have a rule question about the Favor of the Khan action space, which I haven't found an answer to in the FAQ or here on the forum:

Am I allowed to play a lower die than the previous in the Favor of the Khan action space, and pay the number of pips in coins?

The rules for using the Favor of the Khan are very clear. You must place a die of an equal or greater value than the die to the left of your die. There is no mechanism in the game allowing you to do what you ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks! Then it works as I had hoped.

I don't think the rules for this are very clear though. This is what the rule book says:

Quote:
... almost all action spaces may be occupied by several players (Exception: Large City Cards actions, see page 11). If a player wishes to use an occupied action space, the following rules apply:
* The player wishing to use an occupied action space must pay for its use. The cost is a number of Coins corresponding to his lowest-numbered die placed at that action space.
(Text that says the dice should be stacked on top of each other.)
Exception: “The Favor of Khan” action area (see page 7) only has 4 total dice spaces available. When taking this action, the dice are never stacked on one another.

I think this text can be interpreted as that you may place a lower die on the Favor of the Khan action space and pay the cost, and that the only difference to the other action spaces is that you don't stack the dice but put your die on one of the free remaining spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
emusand wrote:
Thanks! Then it works as I had hoped.

I don't think the rules for this are very clear though. This is what the rule book says:

Quote:
... almost all action spaces may be occupied by several players (Exception: Large City Cards actions, see page 11). If a player wishes to use an occupied action space, the following rules apply:
* The player wishing to use an occupied action space must pay for its use. The cost is a number of Coins corresponding to his lowest-numbered die placed at that action space.
(Text that says the dice should be stacked on top of each other.)
Exception: “The Favor of Khan” action area (see page 7) only has 4 total dice spaces available. When taking this action, the dice are never stacked on one another.

I think this text can be interpreted as that you may place a lower die on the Favor of the Khan action space and pay the cost, and that the only difference to the other action spaces is that you don't stack the dice but put your die on one of the free remaining spaces.

Only if you ignore the rules on page 7:

Quote:
The first player to seek the Khan’s favor places her die onto the left-most die-space and claims her reward. The next player who wishes to use this action must place his die on the next die-space over. The next die to be used must have a value equal to or greater than the previously-placed die, or the action may not be used. These same rules are in effect for the remaining players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The (greater-than or equal-to) symbol is even printed on the board between the die spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.