Subject: Adventure Card Penalties rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin W
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This might be obvious but I haven't been able to find an answer in the rules or in the archives here or on FFG's forums.

Are adventure Penalties (and Rewards for that matter) grouped by type? That is, is the penalty on Horrible Visions (two brains and two hearts) classed as a 2 San and a 2 Sta loss? Or is it two 1 San losses and two 1 Sta losses? This affects for example Anna Kaslow, who receives a San token for each individual San loss (of whatever amount) experienced by the Investigator. It would also make Mythos cards like A Warning ... ... Of a Curse ("All Sanity and Stamina costs and losses are increased by 1") worse.

Are adventure losses all simultaneous or do they happen in the order as written on the card? So for Lights Out (1 heart - 1 Doom - 1 heart) this would also result in two separate Sta losses for Mythos cards which increase losses.

I have been playing rewards as simultaneous and grouped, but the timing rules are weird sometimes in Elder Sign (like how Monster rewards work as of the FAQ) and I started to wonder if this was right.

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have always interpreted it as a 'group' loss, and I'm pretty confident that was the intention. You'd want to avoid doing anything for a day when 'A Warning... of a Curse' comes into play if you had to take 1 extra for each symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Bill here. I think it was easier using 2 single San tokens to represent a -2 San than creating new symbols for each amount of loss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But why for cards like Lights Out are the points separated by a doom token?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't make me answer to that, Tibs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a typical player would assume the stamina and sanity losses would be singular if they were together on the card. Their separation was probably why OP was confused and had to ask. I definitely understand that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with you here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin W
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the replies. I will continue to play it as I have been, as I also think that this was the way it was intended to work. At the conclusion of an adventure I like to run through the rewards and penalties one at a time in order to make sure nothing gets forgotten; taking the san / sta losses as individual occurrences then causes problems in the examples I mentioned.

Yes, the Lights Out separation of the Sta loss symbols is one of those oddities that makes you believe that there must be a reason for it to be like that, but I am guessing it's really just an artwork inconsistency.

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My un-educated guess is that it was originally Stamina-Doom, but then playtesting determined the penalty should be a bit harder and it was easier to plunk another stamina in there than to move one icon over? It's contrived and unlikely but I can't think of anything else that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.