Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like EE as it includes the modules from Tuscany that I actually played with and enjoy.

I do, however, like the concept of Structures and the Winter Sell Wine spot, but don't like that they require the extended board which I don't particularly care for. The Sell Wine spot gives some options for last turn points in the event that you don't have any orders that match your wine.

My thoughts on adding them in to EE:
- Wake up positions 2 and 3 would become ORs that allow for a vine/order OR structure card
- Gain $1 spot becomes a Gain $1 or Structure card
- Sell 1 Wine Token would be added as both a summer/winter spot, and not limited to 1 worker.

Now I just have to get someone to sell me their Structures module from Tuscany
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Jones
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
EE is is terrific. It was a tough decision, but I sprang for Tuscany today (Amazon) to add to my copy of Essential Edition. Did this based on Jamie's comments that a Tuscany "lite" to merge with EE is not in the works. This is my first experience where an expansion cost more than the base game. Hoping it turns out to make a quite good a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
I really like EE as it includes the modules from Tuscany that I actually played with and enjoy.

I do, however, like the concept of Structures and the Winter Sell Wine spot, but don't like that they require the extended board which I don't particularly care for. The Sell Wine spot gives some options for last turn points in the event that you don't have any orders that match your wine.

- Wake up positions 2 and 3 would become ORs that allow for a vine/order OR structure card
- Sell 1 Wine Token would be added as both a summer/winter spot, and not limited to 1 worker.

What about the extended board do you not care for? I'm curious as everyone else seems to rave about it.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Russell
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of suggestions/complaints about the wake-up chart, especially concerning the Gain 1 lira spot. After playing a number of Viticulture games, I can see how a redesigned wake-up chart could be fun.

For my part, I love the Tuscany extended board, and even when I play without the extended board, I've found ways around the less-than-optimal choices that the wake-up chart affords.

For those who prefer the standard board, I wonder if anyone is interested in creating their own wake-up chart. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult. It could sit right on top of the old one. It could be a real win-win for folks who want to modify the game but who don't prefer Tuscany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
What about the extended board do you not care for? I'm curious as everyone else seems to rave about it.

My nitpicks are really minor, and primarily based on the fact that I don't own Tuscany and don't want to spring the $ to buy a copy. I've also never actually played with the extended board so it's possibly my opinion could change if I did.

That said:
I don't care for the area control mini-game. It seems needlessly tacked on and out of character for the rest of the game.

The 20 point end game trigger of the EE ends the game at just the right amount of time so things don't overstay their welcome.

The standard board hit the sweet spot for me in terms of complexity and weight. This is a solid medium game for me, and splitting the seasons into 4, adding more turn order bonuses, and the different turn order rules, seems like it would move this from a medium into a heavy game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah okay. I misunderstood and thought it was from playing.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an EE owner and just got Tuscany for my birthday a couple of days ago. First play that night and I wasn't 'blown away'. My favourite things are the trade space and the sell wine space. I haven't played buildings yet.

But in response to "whats not to like" well the area control thing in the corner feels unnecessary and the whole 4 stages thing is a bit fiddly. My main dislike is turn order is just a unnecessary-ly complex (in my opinion), with people receiving a lot of things at different times. Also on 2 player there are bonus spaces which I wasn't a fan of either.

I guess EE is just really smooth and easy to play and just feels seem-less. Where as Tuscany felt like a bunch of interconnecting mini games that you're trying to come first in enough to get an overall win.

But this is after one play with just the extra Board lets see after many plays and the whole thing Structures etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mick_whyte wrote:
I'm an EE owner and just got Tuscany for my birthday a couple of days ago. First play that night and I wasn't 'blown away'. My favourite things are the trade space and the sell wine space. I haven't played buildings yet.

But in response to "whats not to like" well the area control thing in the corner feels unnecessary and the whole 4 stages thing is a bit fiddly. My main dislike is turn order is just a unnecessary-ly complex (in my opinion), with people receiving a lot of things at different times. Also on 2 player there are bonus spaces which I wasn't a fan of either.

I guess EE is just really smooth and easy to play and just feels seem-less. Where as Tuscany felt like a bunch of interconnecting mini games that you're trying to come first in enough to get an overall win.

But this is after one play with just the extra Board lets see after many plays and the whole thing Structures etc...

Thanks for your feedback as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. Thanks for the mini review for other V:EE owners considering Tuscany. Definitely let us know if your opinion changes after a couple more plays. I am definitely interested in Tuscany, but don't want to pollute the excellent gameplay of V:EE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulisses
Brazil
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonetonitonyrussell wrote:
I've seen a lot of suggestions/complaints about the wake-up chart, especially concerning the Gain 1 lira spot. After playing a number of Viticulture games, I can see how a redesigned wake-up chart could be fun.

For my part, I love the Tuscany extended board, and even when I play without the extended board, I've found ways around the less-than-optimal choices that the wake-up chart affords.

For those who prefer the standard board, I wonder if anyone is interested in creating their own wake-up chart. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult. It could sit right on top of the old one. It could be a real win-win for folks who want to modify the game but who don't prefer Tuscany.

Nice idea. I know it is a bit "offtopic" but what do you think it a better wake up order in Viticulture EE? I feel it is a bit unbalanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
That said:
I don't care for the area control mini-game. It seems needlessly tacked on and out of character for the rest of the game.

The 20 point end game trigger of the EE ends the game at just the right amount of time so things don't overstay their welcome.

I always play with the extended board but I do agree that the area control mini-game is unnecessary. I wish it had been an optional expansion like some of the others in Tuscany. I tend to think of it as a kind of "wildcard" spot that you can take to make up for missing out on something else that you wanted.

The change in the end-game trigger doesn't really change the game length though. The extended board gives you more ways to get VP so the play time balances out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:

You can house rule to sell vine too at the summer season sell grape spot,
victory reward being same as tuscany board or maybe 1vp less for sparkling wine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.