Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I'm waiting for Talon to show up at my FLGS, I'm reading the posted version of the rules. All of the conventions about when to mark a certain part of the ship (shield, battery, afterburner, etc.) and when to erase marks are clear in the rules, but I'd like to understand why certain things are marked or erased when. In other words, I'd like this to be intuitive for me.

For example, when an afterburner is ready to use, it is in an unmarked state. When a weapon is ready to use, its charge bar is in a marked state. When a battery is ready to use, it is in a marked state. When a shield is ready to use, it is in an unmarked state.

I'm not seeing the reasoning for the conventions. I expect "unmarked" to mean ready and "marked" to mean used up. How should I be thinking about things instead?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the weapons and shields are because it's easier to mark incrementally than it is to erase incrementally. I don't know why the battery isn't the other way though (but it's easy enough to just do it that way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k. patrick barley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference between weapons and shields is due to incremental marking versus incremental erasure. Shields can't be repaired so you don't erase them, weapons lose the entirety of the charge when fired.

For afterburners and battery we wanted both to start in marked so that you got the joy of marking them.

That's about the reasoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Definitely ease of marking - when you erase, you erase the whole thing - you erase the entire weapon charge bar.

Marking off shields as they hit or weapons as they charge is because they get marked off one at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shadowmeldk wrote:
The difference between weapons and shields is due to incremental marking versus incremental erasure. Shields can't be repaired so you don't erase them, weapons lose the entirety of the charge when fired.

For afterburners and battery we wanted both to start in marked so that you got the joy of marking them.

That's about the reasoning.

I think Patrick means "start unmarked"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k. patrick barley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, silly auto correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I thought it odd as well when I was reading the rules, but it's completely transparent during gameplay. I've never once had my brain ask which was which on any of the boxes during gameplay.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I thought it odd as well when I was reading the rules, but it's completely transparent during gameplay. I've never once had my brain ask which was which on any of the boxes during gameplay.

S.

So happy to hear that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

I dunno. soblue

I am used to available = unmarked

discharged/damaged = marked. Guess it's my old brain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_espo wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

I dunno. soblue

I am used to available = unmarked

I had to restart a game when I realised I had forgot to wipe off the charging lines after firing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to attempt to play with normal conventions, see how it goes.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mike_espo wrote:

My brain is 51 (and I'm kind of scattered to boot) and I had no problem with grokking the markings on a single glance. What I did have a problem with is keep track of my turn markers, i.e., putting them on the board when I turned, but that's on me, not the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.