Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys !

I read in the rulebook that Missionary is not recommended for solo games (just like the Soldier in base game).

I guess the recommendation is based on the fact that he might be unbalanced for the scenarios (i.e. too weak), is this correct ?

Still, I wonder if anyone tried to play solo with this dude on the base scenarios and/or on the expansion scenarios, and if so how did it go ?

Thanks for your thoughts guys

Cheers !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was because for a Missionary you ought to be at least in 2. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
I thought it was because for a Missionary you ought to be at least in 2. whistle

Thematically it makes sense. But I was rather wondering if it is in addition for an unbalancing reason, and if anyone tried it solo ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mbmbmbmb
I'm sure I played the missionary solo a couple of times during playtesting.
Honestly I don't remember much anymore, if I won or lost and in which scenarios.

The missionary is an awesome character because of the special abilities, especially "One Body" (which was my idea, if I may mention that ).
So (s)he really shines in co-op games with more characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maho wrote:
I'm sure I played the missionary solo a couple of times during playtesting.
Honestly I don't remember much anymore, if I won or lost and in which scenarios.

The missionary is an awesome character because of the special abilities, especially "One Body" (which was my idea, if I may mention that ).
So (s)he really shines in co-op games with more characters.

Thanks for your thoughts maho.
He indeeds has 2 skills that are best to use multi, so this may be why he is not recommended solo. Otherwise, he doesnt seem this unbalanced to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
Painkeeper wrote:

Thematically it makes sense. But I was rather wondering if it is in addition for an unbalancing reason, and if anyone tried it solo ?

I never found myself in the position to try Missionary solo. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
Painkeeper wrote:

LOL someone didn't catch the joke..."thematically it makes sense?" ROFL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Murphy
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Missionary's "One Body" ability, can she discard 1(?) determination token to allow a non-player character (eg. Friday) to give his tokens to another player's character - and would the player with the first person token be the one who would choose whom Friday chose to donate to?

Are Crewmen considered to be Characters as far as this ability is concerned? The ability says "... allow any one Character to give ...", not "... allow any one player's Character to give ..."

Since the Artist has no use for determination tokens, can she save them up and then give them to another Character (of the First Player's choice?) by having the Missionary activate "One Body" "on" the Artist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mbmbmbmb
gregthegamer2 wrote:
For the Missionary's "One Body" ability, can she discard 1(?) determination token to allow a non-player character (eg. Friday) to give his tokens to another player's character - and would the player with the first person token be the one who would choose whom Friday chose to donate to?

Are Crewmen considered to be Characters as far as this ability is concerned? The ability says "... allow any one Character to give ...", not "... allow any one player's Character to give ..."

Since the Artist has no use for determination tokens, can she save them up and then give them to another Character (of the First Player's choice?) by having the Missionary activate "One Body" "on" the Artist?

It's only for the Characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Murphy
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that this is nit-picky, the rules state "A character is a person represented by a character sheet and 2 action pawns. When the game mentions a character, it always refers to such a person.", but also state "Friday counts as an additional character", and "Crewman cards are not considered players, but are special Characters ..."

I think the "One Body" action should specify "...any one players' Character ... give ... to any other players' Character ...". Less ambiguity, no?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.