Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » General

Subject: 5000 in-app games, some stats, and a break needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all, this post follow the one I posted in December in this thread: Interesting stat on my personal in-app matches.

I kept trace of the last 2000 games I played online before reaching 5000 and wanted to share some stats about them.

After compiling win% by level of opponents, I was able to regroup levels in 4 large classes:

Op.Lvl Wins Played Win%
-----------------------------
1-4 49 53 92.45%
5 265 358 74.02%
6-25 774 1313 58,95% (ranging from 57% to 60% if cut by 5 levels)
26-55 144 276 52,17% (ranging from 48% to 65% if cut by 5 levels)
-----------------------------
Total 1232 2000 61,60%


Win% against levels 6-25 are quite persistent, while levels above show a real drop in win ratio and more disparities (which is expected as fewer games were played). My worst results (and only win% < 50%) are against levels 26-30 and 41-45, respectively at 48.5% and 48.8%. Very high levels (46+) don't show any particular decrease: 11/17 wins vs levels 46-50, 3/6 wins vs level 51+.

My best streak so far: 15 wins in a row. The worst: 6 losses in a row.

Including in these numbers are all game played in various BGG events: the SR League and associated Cup and Tourney of Champions, Pan-Galactic League and King of the Cosmos challenges.

Event Op.Lvl Wins Played Win%
----------------------------------------
SR League 6-20 13 27 48,15%
SR C&ToC 4-53 5 9 55.56% (eliminated in Cup round 1 and ToC round 3)
PG League 5-50 52 102 50,98%
KotC 5-25 33 53 62,26%


This is above expectation for King of the Cosmos and as expected (considering the great players who participate) in Pan Galactic League, SR Cup and Tourney of Champions. The big disappointment comes from SR League where I'm 10 points under my general stat against levels 6-20. I often complain there for my lack of luck but apart from invoking cheat instead, I've no other explanation for my under-performance. It also always amaze me to see players achieving 10-1 and even 11-0 wins in a one or several seasons. This is statistically quite weird considering the overall win% of most players.

This disappointment and late PGL horrible results (I lost 15 of my last 20 matches) have made me lost interest in Star Realms. Most of the games against good players resume in who will have the most lucky draws and/or trade row choices at the right time. I'm not very favored at this time. So I take advantage of a small vacation to make a break from SR. Maybe, as time passes or with the future expansions, I'll regain interest and come back to SR.

In the meantime, good play to all!
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are worse things to say about a game than "I lost interest after the first 5000 games"



The most interesting stat is that you are at level 45, which should be Top 10 or 20 in the world with a win rate of 61%

I'm at 58% and level 16. So give me another 10.000 games and I can get there, too ...
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 4 very happy newbies out there...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:
There are worse things to say about a game than "I lost interest after the first 5000 games"



The most interesting stat is that you are at level 45, which should be Top 10 or 20 in the world with a win rate of 61%

I'm at 58% and level 16. So give me another 10.000 games and I can get there, too ...

Sure .

I reached level 40 just before my 4000th game. At level 45, I'm currently 9th on lifetime leaderboard. The 6 top players are level 50+, the 7th and 8th are level 48.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this! I find this really interesting.

How long was the time you gathered data? And how did you gather the data? I assume manually somehow, which is very impressive.

Quote:
There are worse things to say about a game than "I lost interest after the first 5000 games"


That's hilarious :-)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Ambrosiani
Sweden
Nyköping
Södermanland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As for going 11-0 or 10-1, it's obviously possible. I finished 10-1 in the last season in Gold. Whereas I did play well and won because I played better in 5 games, I also had 5 wins due to a fortunate flip and buy of Ark/Brain World (or in the memorable (for me) game against MattM, both Ark and Brain World). Winning 5 coin flips out of 6 (the game I lost opponent got a great starting hand and there was very little to do) is certainly doable (and about 3 % if my math is correct), but you also need to play well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
railbaron wrote:
Thanks for sharing this! I find this really interesting.

How long was the time you gathered data? And how did you gather the data? I assume manually somehow, which is very impressive.

I gathered data since I reached my 3001st game in August 2015. I keep trace in an Excel sheet of each opponent's name and level, plus game result, scores, end turn and any special event.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. N.
msg tools
mb
FrUnit7 wrote:
railbaron wrote:
Thanks for sharing this! I find this really interesting.

How long was the time you gathered data? And how did you gather the data? I assume manually somehow, which is very impressive.

I gathered data since I reached my 3001st game in August 2015. I keep trace in an Excel sheet of each opponent's name and level, plus game result, scores, end turn and any special event.


Did you play all of your games one-at-a-time to keep track of streaks and game traits easier?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuen9 wrote:
FrUnit7 wrote:
railbaron wrote:
Thanks for sharing this! I find this really interesting.

How long was the time you gathered data? And how did you gather the data? I assume manually somehow, which is very impressive.

I gathered data since I reached my 3001st game in August 2015. I keep trace in an Excel sheet of each opponent's name and level, plus game result, scores, end turn and any special event.


Did you play all of your games one-at-a-time to keep track of streaks and game traits easier?

No I played simultaneously up to 30 games (15-20 on average) and recorded data as soon as each game finished. So the streaks are in order of ended games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very impressive!
I tried this on my phone and evidently deleted my note after about a month
My suspicion still is I play better against high than low level players.
How did I do against you? I'd say not too great if I had to guess (which goes against my overall intuition)?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stophle wrote:
This is very impressive!
I tried this on my phone and evidently deleted my note after about a month
My suspicion still is I play better against high than low level players.
How did I do against you? I'd say not too great if I had to guess (which goes against my overall intuition)?

Effectively, we played 20 games of which I lost only 6. You rose from level 20 to 27 between our first and last matches.

stats with you level vs me:
20th: 0-1
21st: 1-3
22nd: 1-0
23rd: 4-4
24th: 0-2
25th: 0-2
27th: 0-2
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.