1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: 12-year ongoing prank - need help brainstorming for a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J M
msg tools
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and new to the world of board games in general. I need to fool my best friend and I could really use some help.

Since we were 15, we've had an ongoing prank. We send each other this nasty, condensed old dreadlock of hers in increasingly high-stakes and sinister, secretive ways. It started out being baked in a cake and climaxed when I presented it to her at her wedding ceremony, with many hilarious moments in between. I have the dreadlock again and I want to design a relatively complex game in which she will get the dreadlock as a prize at the end.

She loves cooking, food systems, and sustainable farming. My basic idea is to create a board game called Craddokle (an anagram for "dreadlock") from the fictitious Craddokle Family Farms somewhere in the Northeast. The game would involve seasons - perhaps starting in the winter, then getting through the growing year and culminating in the fall harvest. The winner would be the one with the most bountiful harvest. In order to guarantee she will be the one getting the dreadlock, each player would have a final trump card, kept face down throughout the game and revealed at the end. Hers would say something about opening the secret bag, which would contain the dreadlock.

I'm at a loss for how to progress from this idea to actually creating the game. How do players make it around the board, or through the seasons, or whatever? I'm open to new themes or random ideas for game pieces, etc. I've been browsing a couple of the design tutorials and they're great, but I think I just need some ideas from experienced gamers as to how I can get from idea to execution.

Thank you so much for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan McHugh
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
gulp

Good luck (?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
What if instead you got her to play a game of Pandemic Legacy with you and then plant the dread in one of the secret boxes you have to open up. Probably a little easier than making a game from scratch AND you get an okay game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
As far as getting the physical game produced in a more or less professional looking manner, use a site like thegamecrafter.com. Of course, the art assets that you provide to the site will probably have the biggest impact on whether the game looks like a commercial product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
What if instead you got her to play a game of Pandemic Legacy with you and then plant the dread in one of the secret boxes you have to open up. Probably a little easier than making a game from scratch AND you get an okay game.

I think Mike has a good idea here. While i've not yet started Pandemic legacy, i do think think that you could faux a package for either this or risk legacy where dreadlock is in the package and she's the one meant to open it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
msg tools
Thanks for that idea. Maybe I could play Pandemic Legacy for some ideas, but I do want to make the game by myself, or at least have it be over 50% original. It won't be "big" enough to just plant the dread in another game, if you know what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Sodani
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea of repurposing an existing game and maybe creating a new box for it, removing any branded items, etc is a good one.

For farming, maybe Fields of Arle or Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small and create a new building/card/etc that when you build a certain building, you open the "package". Use a site like thegamecrafter.com to create your custom box and instructions. It would still be a ton of work, but not as daunting as creating your own game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:

I'd go with the quote above if you want short term and inexpensive. Creating and publishing your game as a complete one-off (I don't see a market for the nasty hair) will take you a significant investment of money and time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:

Not drop any spoilers, but TIME Stories would also work if the dreadlock were slipped under the box insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible other game name/themes:

"Deck La D'Or" - the game of finding treasure.

"Addle Cork" - the puzzling game of wine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meta observation: I would expect that if she received a weird self-made boardgame with a game title which is an obvious contrived anagram of "dreadlock", she would quickly know what the trick was, rather than being surprised at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
Creating and publishing your game as a complete one-off (I don't see a market for the nasty hair) will take you a significant investment of money and time.

Time, sure. Money, not really. Using a site like thegamecrafter.com, it shouldn't cost more than $50 on the high side. It's not like he's trying to get into the business of publishing boardgames and getting thousands of copies of this game printed by a real manufacturer, just so he can have one to use in this prank. TheGameCrafter is print-on-demand, they'll print you single copy, to your specifications, at a reasonable price, ie- <$50 or thereabouts.

Edit: Here's a link to their pricing page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ok, so byronczimmer's post got me looking for an online anagram creator, which produced these:

Caked Lord
Calked Rod
Lacked Rod
Arcked Old
Racked Old
Decal Dork
Laced Dork
Calk Odder
Lack Odder
Rack Doled
Dad Locker
Add Locker
Laded Rock
Laded Cork
Addle Rock
Addle Cork
Dared Lock
Dread Lock
Adder Lock
Dado Clerk
Larked Cod
Larked Doc
Drake Cold
Drake Clod
Raked Cold
Raked Clod
Alder Dock
Lad Corked
Lad Rocked
Lard Coked
Rad Locked
Lark Coded
Ark Coddle
A Deck Lord
A Clerk Odd
Cad Dork El
Cad Rod Elk
Card Do Elk
Calk Odd Re
Calk Ed Rod
Calk Red Do
Lack Odd Re
Lack Ed Rod
Lack Red Do
Rack Odd El
Rack Ed Old
Rack Led Do
Lac Ed Dork
Car Odd Elk
Arc Odd Elk
Ad Cord Elk
Ad Clerk Do
Ad Lock Red
Ad Rock Led
Ad Cork Led
Dad Lock Re
Dad Rock El
Dad Cork El
Add Lock Re
Add Rock El
Add Cork El
Dark Cod El
Dark Doc El
Lad Deck Or
Lad Dock Re
Lad Rock Ed
Lad Cork Ed
Rad Deck Lo
Rad Dock El
Rad Cod Elk
Rad Doc Elk
Rad Lock Ed
Lark Cod Ed
Lark Doc Ed
Ark Cold Ed
Ark Clod Ed
Ark Cod Led
Ark Doc Led
La Deck Rod
La Dock Red

Some of them made me laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for blatantly ripping off a game (it's not as if you are going to sell it so I don't think it's immoral) and making your own artwork - retheming it or just modifying the theme slightly. I'd suggest picking something reasonably simple - Catan could work if she isn't a gamer (if if you didn't care that she realsied that it was a rip off of Catan). Even doing that would be loads of effort - designing a game from scratch or even modifying the mechanics of an existing game and having it turn out well is going to be hard. (I'll admit I've not tried but if it was easy then there wouldn't be lots of bad games!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
Ok, so byronczimmer's post got me looking for an online anagram creator, which produced these:

We probably used the same one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
GeorgeMo wrote:
Creating and publishing your game as a complete one-off (I don't see a market for the nasty hair) will take you a significant investment of money and time.

Time, sure. Money, not really. Using a site like thegamecrafter.com, it shouldn't cost more than $50 on the high side. It's not like he's trying to get into the business of publishing boardgames and getting thousands of copies of this game printed by a real manufacturer, just so he can have one to use in this prank. TheGameCrafter is print-on-demand, they'll print you single copy, to your specifications, at a reasonable price, ie- <$50 or thereabouts.

I was still thinking of the last quote we got from DeLano Service for $500 for one prototype of our very simple card game, but they're all U.S. and expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:
GeorgeMo wrote:

I was still thinking of the last quote we got from DeLano Service for $500 for one prototype of our very simple card game, but they're all U.S. and expensive.

Sounds like you should have used The Game Crafter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:

We still might, we haven't gotten past PnP, yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:

We still might, we haven't gotten past PnP, yet.

Cool. From what I understand a lot of people have been happy using their services for exactly what you're describing- making one or a few prototypes for demonstration purposes.

Edit: They certainly seem affordable, when you're considering a $500 alternative. Were those people going to gold-plate your cards or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:

And there was me all impressed with how clever you were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brettellmd wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:

And there was me all impressed with how clever you were.

I at least curated the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is funny. Our family prank-gifts a sealed pack of travel toilet paper that a relative gave one if us as a serious gift maybe 30 years ago. The best years are when someone forgets they have it, misses a year then BAM it shows up again.

+1 on gamecrafter. Make it a card game and it's fast/cheap to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game sounds a lot like Viticulture. Maybe you could use that as a guide to your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ringo Stalin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I'm all about this. I want in!

Perhaps you can create a central repository (a pouch, for example) that players can throw tokens into throughout the course of the game. At the end of the game, one player is able to add the points accrued in the pouch to their total score. At the bottom of the pouch will be the dreadlock.

You'd have to rig it so she's the one to get those extra points, while keeping the game fairly even until you get to the end.

That's just an example, but my idea is to start at the end and work backwards. I'll happily try and help where I can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just threw up in my mouth a f**king dreadlock gulpgulpgulpgulpgulpgulpgulpgulpgulpgulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.