Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt Descheemaeker
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-i-r-w-jazkal-for-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
Not impressed.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shaharuddin
United States
California
flag msg tools
the named ship ability is nice but I doubt anyone is really going to use the ship since it can easily be one shotted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
What happened? Am I in the past? I thought WK finally figured out how to design expansions since the previous ones were promising.

The ship is OK but most the other cards are totally overcosted.

Even at 3 Points (thanks to Vrax) Reman Bodyguards are not particularly good.

The cloaking device costs as much as all the other cloaking devices so I guess thats OK, I still think it should cost less.

Nijil basically costs 4 Points if you add a Tech. Might be good enough. The action is close to useless.

Disruptor Banks is pretty interesting since it has a very nice defensive effect.

Destabilize Relations is also interesting because it is entirely passive but it should be like 3 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nijil will pretty much be an auto-include on any Valdore-class ship so that Advanced Cloaking can be used with any captain other than Valdore6.

Destabilized Relations is nice, but the range restriction makes it too pricey. That restriction is very thematic as far as Romulans go, though.

Prototype Cloaking Device could be interesting on a Prototype-01.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Destabilized Relations is actually pretty awesome- it's neither a disable nor a discard so it's always "on" . It can be great with most Romulan ships. It pairs even more nicely with the D'Kyr, Somraw Commander, Nistrim-Culluh and others that like to hover at range 3.

Although I have a feeling that if the question were asked, WORF might rule that this card was intended to be a discard or disable.

I like Disrupter Banks for it's unique flexibility- it could be a great little card for Triphasic Emitters.

But yes, the rest of the cards are a little more expensive than they could be.

I do think there are possibilities with the Jazkal for Enterprise (show) era fleet battles. It's a nice partner for the Kumari and Shran for instance.

While it's not a particularly strong pack, I can't say I was expecting another Praetus-class BOP to be especially powerful. But it's not a completely weak pack either- it's at least got more meat than the Praetus' pack did. It's interesting that both packs though have a number of generic cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainShran wrote:
Disruptor Banks is pretty interesting since it has a very nice defensive effect.

The defensive effect isn't bad, but you notice it turns the card into a 4-point DISCARD, right?

I'm not quite sure that's worth it... I mean, Ferengi-Nog does the EXACT same thing for 3 points, and Mirror-Bashir almost does better for 2 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
XanderF wrote:
CaptainShran wrote:

The defensive effect isn't bad, but you notice it turns the card into a 4-point DISCARD, right?

I'm not quite sure that's worth it... I mean, Ferengi-Nog does the EXACT same thing for 3 points, and Mirror-Bashir almost does better for 2 points.

I'm not saying that it's a good card but it's interesting because it has an alternative use other than attacking, which is nice for a weapon upgrade. Basically it is a 2-point weapon and a 2-point Ferengi Nog. Not too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
CaptainShran wrote:

Except that neither Nog nor Bashir are also a weapon. You don't take Disruptor Banks exclusively for the one time discard. You take it for the weapon on the Jazkal with the back-up option of discarding it for its defensive use. I think its dual-use can justify its 4 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:
XanderF wrote:
CaptainShran wrote:

Except that neither Nog nor Bashir are also a weapon. You don't take Disruptor Banks exclusively for the one time discard. You take it for the weapon on the Jazkal with the back-up option of discarding it for its defensive use. I think its dual-use can justify its 4 points.

Well...except you can't get the second use out of it after using it as a weapon for several turns, anyway.

If there was a clause that the defensive alternate ability could still be used even while time tokens were on the card...NOW we'd be talking. As it is...I dunno, not quite enough effect for something I'd pay four points for. I mean, for one point LESS, I could be rolling *4* attack dice and re-rolling my blanks instead of rolling 3 attack dice with no modifications.

It's kinda weak sauce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I mean, for one point LESS, I could be rolling *4* attack dice and re-rolling my blanks instead of rolling 3 attack dice with no modifications.

But you'd have to spend a lock to fire it, though, so Disruptor Banks is actually better for quality. It also goes to range 3.
It's certainly not great, but its only real problem is that it isn't Disruptor Beams (or even Additional Weapons Array).

Destabilized Relations is great, though. Quite possibly the Romulans' best talent, and just the thing for those pesky Fed defensenoughts. And Prototype Cloak on the Drone ship? Heck yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
Destabilized Relations is great, though. Quite possibly the Romulans' best talent, and just the thing for those pesky Fed defensenoughts. And Prototype Cloak on the Drone ship? Heck yeah.

Yeah, there are definitely some solid cards in the pack. I'm primarily a Romulan player, and ALMOST considering getting two of these for that Prototype Cloak - for era-pure play, it's a solid option. And, heck, combine it with an Advanced Cloaking Device on the Drone ship...I mean, yeah. Solid defense, there. Assuming dice don't hate you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Wurm
Germany
flag msg tools
I must say this is the first time that the comments here were more positive about a pack than my own impressions
Bodyguards seem really bad, I thought we had left that Action+Discard+5pts rubbish in the past. Nijil should be cheaper or less restricted, so without a disable on the tech upgrade. We need more cards and especially talents like destabilized relations, however the restrictions on the card make it a bit too expensive for my taste. What I like about the pack is that there are no restrictions of cards to be used on the BoP only.
Altogether better than the Talvath, but for me the weakest ship of the last two waves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ting
Australia
flag msg tools
MormegilND wrote:
Nijil will pretty much be an auto-include on any Valdore-class ship so that Advanced Cloaking can be used with any captain other than Valdore6.

Nijil is trash. If all you want is a tech slot, Eric Motz does that for 3pts on a Romulan ship, which is still 1 point cheaper taking into account Nijil's discount. Nijil's action is always worse than taking Evade.

In faction pure, T'Rul provides a Romulan tech slot for 4pts, and has another ability that at least has the chance to be useful. So Nijil really has no reason to exist.

kobold47 wrote:

It also requires another enemy ship at range 1-2 of the target. Depending how they built they built their Fed dreadnought, that might not be a thing. Especially if they're running as a shuttlenaught.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I will say is that they seem to have finally come around to my way of thinking -- no target lock and no disable for the secondary weapon. But it's every 3 rounds. Should be every other round IMHO.

Not going to set the galaxy on fire I'm afraid as a ship. Someone might find a use for it but it's not a world shaker as far as I can tell. Same class as the Praetus so an additional ship for Enterprise Era but I don't think that is a big deal. If I were a Romulan player I'd rather use a Vulcan ship and say it's a refitted older ship from the exodus to Romulus to keep myself theme happy.

If they ran these by a few key people (say people who were in the top 3 of worlds and/or had won regionals and maybe some people on podcasts for input), not only would the ships be better, the podcasts would be talking about them. They are sharp as billiard balls, those WK dudes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wedge772 wrote:
kobold47 wrote:

It also requires another enemy ship at range 1-2 of the target. Depending how they built they built their Fed dreadnought, that might not be a thing. Especially if they're running as a shuttlenaught.

Yeah, good point, though it'll vary a lot with the exact number of points and format.

carbon_dragon wrote:
If they ran these by a few key people (say people who were in the top 3 of worlds and/or had won regionals and maybe some people on podcasts for input), not only would the ships be better

Ugh, no. I think the "experts" talk too much already. The top worlds and regionals players are really good at moving ships around the board, but some of them have also been responsible for the most myopic and uninspired analyses I've ever seen.

And frankly, I'm fine with the fact that some of the upgrades are obviously just there for the scenario and aren't "tournament competitive." I'm even glad that some cards are outright weak. Here's an example: remember Nullifier Core? i.e.: the second worst Romulan card when it came out, saved only by the fact that Artificial Quantum Singularity was even worse? I was just at a tournament where a guy ran that on the Belak, and it prevented about four points of damage before it was finally discarded. I love it when that kind of thing happens, but if every release had to be vetted by the usual powergaming douchebros, all we'd have to look forward to is an endless parade of superficial Spike cards. No thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have a new contender for most worthless STAW retail release so far. Not a single card with this pack is worth taking. The mission - from what I can read - deals with avoiding a cloaked minefield. I spend enough time with cloaked mines in my normal OP plays lol. I think I'm good there!

The ONLY upgrade that might give me a whiff is the ET Destabilized Relations - mainly just because I want to applaud the fact that it's not a freaking discard lol. Add text where at range 2 they roll -1 defense die and then I'd start spending a little more time considering it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Can anyone tell from the picture if the model sculpt is different (i.e. paint or otherwise)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a new paint job with a metallic green finish, probably similar to the other metallic paint schemes we have seen recently. Either that or the pic is super shiny for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gallagher
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wedge772 wrote:

In faction pure, T'Rul provides a Romulan tech slot for 4pts, and has another ability that at least has the chance to be useful. So Nijil really has no reason to exist.

Not all of us have access to DS9 for T'rul. $15 is a lot more manageable than $70-100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiballagher wrote:
wedge772 wrote:

Not all of us have access to DS9 for T'rul. $15 is a lot more manageable than $70-100.

You can get DS9 for a decent price online. It's worth it for T'Rul, T'kar, Quark and Odo.

As for the Jazkal, the ship, talent, tech, and weapon are ok and very fitting for Ent era games.

The Reman Bodyguards is terrible. 5 points for an action and a discard is bad when the EM Pulse from the Koraga and Kraxon does the same thing for 4 points and is only an action and a disable plus it is range 1-2.

With the Bodyguards being terrible the captain is terrible as well because even being 3 points the Bodyguards aren't worth it. If there was no range restriction they could be useful at 3 points but otherwise, eh I'd pass.

Nijil isn't terrible but Valdor and T'Rul are better options. The only time I see him being really useful is if you want to fly a faction pure fleet of 2-3 Valdor class ships and want to load up on tech, then take all 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:

Ugh, no. I think the "experts" talk too much already. The top worlds and regionals players are really good at moving ships around the board, but some of them have also been responsible for the most myopic and uninspired analyses I've ever seen.

And frankly, I'm fine with the fact that some of the upgrades are obviously just there for the scenario and aren't "tournament competitive." I'm even glad that some cards are outright weak. Here's an example: remember Nullifier Core? i.e.: the second worst Romulan card when it came out, saved only by the fact that Artificial Quantum Singularity was even worse? I was just at a tournament where a guy ran that on the Belak, and it prevented about four points of damage before it was finally discarded. I love it when that kind of thing happens, but if every release had to be vetted by the usual powergaming douchebros, all we'd have to look forward to is an endless parade of superficial Spike cards. No thanks.

Thank you, I couldn't have said this any better myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I'm not really sure what to do with this expansion. It is certainly going to be fun for ENT/TOS era games.

The elite talent is interesting. If Romulans had a ship with a 180 front arc, I would definately get mileage off of it. Taris could get use out of it.

The weapon is amusing as it is a better defensive card than offensive.

And I agree about not wanting ships vetted by powergamers before release so that cards are all OP/tourney worthy. Being a good driver doesn't make you an automotive engineer. I wouldn't mind ships vetted by powergamers to check for broken combos though. We don't need another tactical station released. I'm less worried about that now with the last few releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan L
Canada
flag msg tools
Just a random thought with the new prototype cloaking device card if that was put on the romulan Drone ship with backup sequencer would that allow the first cloaked ship to have shields up? Or did I miss something?

Withow the named ability of the Drone ship even the damage on the battle stations is less of a concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.