Here I Stand» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Playing French! Intervention on Scotland or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Niil
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
This theme has been discussed a lot these past years and I think I read everything written about it. But because some of the opinions are a bit outdated, mainly because I think people have been playing the game since then, is there any new tendencies or strategies that is worth to share?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hardly an expert. But when playing as France, I like to intervene in Scotland. Even if I have no intention of lifting a finger to defend it. One simple reason: City State Rebels card.

If England takes Edinburgh (and esp. if they control the other two spaces as well), Scotland gets forgotten by mostly everyone. But your alliance stays intact. And cards are usually too precious for another player to waste one on deactiviating the alliance of a minor power that's already occupied. So you wait for that card. Unless England keeps a major garrison in Edinburgh, you've got good odds of gaining a key on one card play. And if you get the card early and hold it, the event happens at a time of your choosing, which can be important if you are making a VP push for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If England doesn't leave 3 units in Edinburgh, there's something wrong. England should never have to worry about CSR.

Whether you intervene or not depends on how England is doing with the Heir Chart. England doesn't have that many targets for sieges, so there's no point in giving England a free DoW by intervening in Scotland if you know he has to use his Home Card to DoW France. But if Edward is born, it makes no difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, if it's free, my philosophy is take it. That being said, feel free to negotiate with England about it and reach something mutually beneficial. Usually better for you in the long term to negotiate unless keeping Edinburgh for a turn would give you a card draw, and even then it's debatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Niil
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks guys.

From all I read I think I'll try the Scotland Gambit and winter the 3 reg + the sq. And try to get 2 mercs from Henry in T2. Maybe a card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.