Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow gamers,

Instead of each player playing two colors (4 player simulation), as has been suggested in this forum, would it be possible to reduce the number of regions available (scale down from 9 regions to, say, 5 or 6) to preserve interaction and tension with a 2-player count?

Or would this break/unbalance the game, because the regions have different scoring tracks (with different values)?

I would welcome any thoughts from experienced El Grande players on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Possible 2-player variant?
imho any area control game really sucks as a 2-player game by definition

however if you are wanting to try it out it's your time I would suggest only score for 1st place, and obviously ignore ties in regions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played several 2 palyer games of el grande and is quite good, although obviously is quite diferent from normal El grande. Not need for variants, and reducing the size of the map is a bad suggestion, you will have less zone to fight for, and with two players is usual to get the maximun number of caballeros.

Edit: While El grande is quite chaotic qith 4-5 players, with 2 player the game is about predict and anticipate what your opponent will do and bid and act accordingly. You have at worst best second card so there are lot of control. As I said is quite good with 2 players, although I prefer it with 5 obviously

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play Aton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.