Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there a place online that exists which has collected/collated a variety of decks to play for each quest? I know I can try a couple of blogs such as Beorn's Path to see what each suggest, but I just wondered if there was a one-stop-shop that offers a variety/collection of different types of deck to play per quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe on http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kinda.. I was thinking more of something that collected decks related to specific quests really..

So, head to 'Return to Mirkwood' for example, and there you'd find submitted decks that may be suited/playable for that specific quest.. ?

The cardgamedb seems to have a plethora of decks, but no knowing whether they are suited to a particular quest or not (from what I can see).

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a thing that gets asked about from time to time and I agree, it would be wonderfully useful. I keep assuming that some enterprising person will get around to it eventually. Sometimes I even want that enterprising person to be me, but when I think about what it would take to actually make such a thing I shrink away.

Would it just be using cards leading up to that scenario or the modern card pool? Modern up to when? Both I suppose, though the former would likely be the most useful. And are the decks good for solo or multiplayer? How many players? The challenge is that deck building in this game is more than just trying to beat a scenario. It's trying to beat a scenario in a particular circumstance. So I think just to keep it reasonable you would have to set a parameter, like always approaching each scenario with two decks for example.

Hmmm, now that I'm typing this out I'm really starting to get some ideas so please forgive a bit of rambling. My first thought was that you would want to analyze each quest and then build a deck specific to it. And that would obviously work nicely. But eventually in the card pool we go from slightly tweaking our Tactics/Leadership and Spirit/Lore decks to trying to choose between a Sylvan or Noldor deck. Or a Rohan or Gondor deck. Or a Caldara or Rossiel deck. Dunedain, dwarves, hobbits, rangers and so on. You get what I'm saying. Nowadays there isn't just one deck that could be used for a specific quest, but a myriad of interesting options.

So what if we had a place that both analyzed the quest at hand and built a specific deck to beat it from the available card pool at the time AND had a bank of submitted decks that were linked or tagged in such a way that indicates they are good at certain quests. Again I look at the scale of it and while I would love to put something like that together I wouldn't know where to begin. But it sounds awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to continue the fantasizing...

We actually already have a place that something like this would be perfect. The Lotr LCG Quest Companion. (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1069366/lord-rings-lcg-ques...) You can already go there to look at each individual quest and get all the details, scenario specific rules, and errata. It's an amazing resource. So what if there were also a tab to see decks built to beat the quest you're looking up?

I am in no way suggesting our fine friend Banania should be responsible for adding this to the site. Clearly they've done enough! But man it would be the perfect place for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hmmm, now that I'm typing this out I'm really starting to get some ideas so please forgive a bit of rambling. My first thought was that you would want to analyze each quest and then build a deck specific to it. And that would obviously work nicely. But eventually in the card pool we go from slightly tweaking our Tactics/Leadership and Spirit/Lore decks to trying to choose between a Sylvan or Noldor deck. Or a Rohan or Gondor deck. Or a Caldara or Rossiel deck. Dunedain, dwarves, hobbits, rangers and so on. You get what I'm saying. Nowadays there isn't just one deck that could be used for a specific quest, but a myriad of interesting options.

So what if we had a place that both analyzed the quest at hand and built a specific deck to beat it from the available card pool at the time AND had a bank of submitted decks that were linked or tagged in such a way that indicates they are good at certain quests. Again I look at the scale of it and while I would love to put something like that together I wouldn't know where to begin. But it sounds awesome.

This.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, it would be a great resource to the community..

Obviously the options are almost limitless, which may be what is putting yourself or others off, but if you limited each quest to a suggestion of (say) 5 decks maximum, (many of which are already 'out there' on the net, it would be a case of searching and collating), and then which could be grouped per each quest.. that could in theory at least be possible.

These 'top 5' decks for each quest could then include a mixture/variety of 'Progressive', 'Popular Themed', 'Single-hand', 'Experimental?', etc ... Limiting it to a certain number of decks per quest would take some time, but would be do-able ...

A lot of searching through the blogs I guess for each expansion/quest ?

I would love to take this on, but as a new player ho has only just moved past The Hunt for Gollum I'm kinda looking at the seasoned played here ..

I'll check out the Quest Companion for sure to see what they offer in the meantime ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the Quest Companion would be a perfect place for this.

Another option would be adding the ability "tag" quests to decks that you build in a deckbuilding application (Card Game DB, if Hall of Beorn gets the deckbuilder up and running sometime, Rivendell Councilroom, etc.). That could get fiddly though as I can't really imagine users going thru and tagging every single quest to decks that work for a lot of quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Merrill
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this could be done fairly simply if you have already built the deck builder. The way I would do it is build a deckbuilder and allow for a way to designate a sideboard. This is something I feel is always lacking in the Cardgamedb deckbuilder.

Once you have all that, you add a tab with a list of all the quests up to that point. Then just check the scenarios for which their deck is designed. Add in some ease-of-use features like designating an entire cycle at once and you are good to go.

Users can post decks and others can search by keyword or quest to find the deck they want to build. You could even add a "progression" tag and a "latest adventure pack used" designation so that people who want to play progression-style can and people can quickly get an idea if they will have all the cards to make a certain deck.

Something like the way Netrunerdb.com has their deckbuilder set up, but for Lord of the Rings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Another attribute to consider for a deck is how many players it is designed to work with, e.g as part of a three player set of decks, and perhaps the relationship to other decks in that "set". One of the problems at the moment is there is no structured way to search for a list of (say) 3 player decks designed to work cohesively together other than forum threads.

Allowing the community to log wins/losses (or review comments) against decks would enable the most popular to naturally surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I started building a utility (all in javascript) that does pretty much exactly what you're asking... Choose a quest, specify number of players, available card pool and (optionally) spheres. Based on an algorithm that ranks the cards against criteria specific to the quest, the program then spits out a deck.

I got pretty far without putting too much time into it, but haven't gotten around to finishing. Now that people are talking about it I'll try to find some time to get it up and running...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
xanalor wrote:
I started building a utility (all in javascript) that does pretty much exactly what you're asking... Choose a quest, specify number of players, available card pool and (optionally) spheres. Based on an algorithm that ranks the cards against criteria specific to the quest, the program then spits out a deck.

I got pretty far without putting too much time into it, but haven't gotten around to finishing. Now that people are talking about it I'll try to find some time to get it up and running...

This would be immense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.