Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence with this game as I have been snatching up many co-op games. I already have a bunch of deck builders and was wondering what others with this game and other deck builders thought. Here are my list of deck building games.

A Few Acres of Snow
Mage Knight Board Game
Star Realms
Rune Age
Rune Age: Oath and Anvil
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition)
Puzzle Strike Shadows
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game
Valley of the Kings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
I'm on the fence with this game as I have been snatching up many co-op games. I already have a bunch of deck builders and was wondering what others with this game and other deck builders thought. Here are my list of deck building games.

A Few Acres of Snow
Mage Knight Board Game
Star Realms
Rune Age
Rune Age: Oath and Anvil
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition)
Puzzle Strike Shadows
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game
Valley of the Kings

In my collection, The Big Book of Madness serves as the go to deck builder for gateway gamers not necessarily because it's easy to understand or you can adjust the difficulty, but because of the theme. It's got that Harry Potter theme anybody can enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CharlieX3 wrote:
In my collection, The Big Book of Madness serves as the go to deck builder for gateway gamers not necessarily because it's easy to understand or you can adjust the difficulty, but because of the theme. It's got that Harry Potter theme anybody can enjoy.

Would you recommend The Big Book of Madness to a table full of nothing but gateway gamers? Or do you need an experienced hand to guide and teach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be so hasty...TBBoM has a lot of deck building "convention" that makes more sense to those comfortable with the genre and its nuances. I think in this game it's important to be able to manage what exactly goes in your deck, when it's best to buy a spell, and what the tiny differences mean when curses are applied. I had quite the flop introducing it, and will be more careful next time.

That said, the theme is indeed quite strong and is a blast with those who can do the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ngajoe wrote:
I wouldn't be so hasty...TBBoM has a lot of deck building "convention" that makes more sense to those comfortable with the genre and its nuances. I think in this game it's important to be able to manage what exactly goes in your deck, when it's best to buy a spell, and what the tiny differences mean when curses are applied. I had quite the flop introducing it, and will be more careful next time.

That said, the theme is indeed quite strong and is a blast with those who can do the above.

Okay then, what game should we play so we can graduate to The Big Book of Madness. It looks so cool!

To original OP, sorry to hijack your thread. Hope you find your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question but unfortunately a tall order without knowing you or your group.

I'd suggest any game that is thematically accessible, light on rules, and features a prominent feedback loop and pool building, not necessarily a deck builder by definition.

What comes to mind as potential options (but use your own judgment):
Concordia
Trains: Rising Sun
Favor of the Pharaoh
Star Realms
Paperback
Ginkgopolis
By no means an exhaustive or authoritative list.

Hope this makes sense. Who knows, maybe TBBoM is right for your group?

Above all, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
CharlieX3 wrote:

Would you recommend The Big Book of Madness to a table full of nothing but gateway gamers? Or do you need an experienced hand to guide and teach?

Definitely have to at least read through the book and teach gateway gamers. I've never actually played the game when I taught my wife but we rolled along fine. And it's very challenging to find a game that works for her. This and Splendor are just about the only games she likes now.

I've learned that when it comes to teaching newbies, even if a game is easy, it's hard to keep them focused if the theme isn't interesting to them. This game was that lesson for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
I'm on the fence with this game as I have been snatching up many co-op games. I already have a bunch of deck builders and was wondering what others with this game and other deck builders thought.

Haven't played everything in your list, but IMO it most closely resembles Legendary Encounters: Aliens in how it plays, although thematically very different of course.

(My own list includes Aliens/Predator, Dominion, Cthulhu Realms, Rococo, Eminent Domain)

So I guess it depends if you love Love LOVE the mechanics of aliens and want MOAR with maybe a less blood-spattared theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a deck builder, but it's not what I remember when thinking of the game.

To me, it's first a group problem solving puzzle. The deck building feels secondary to that.

It is fun as all get out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with all of your deck builders but I've played Star Realms, Ascension, Dominion, and Arctic Scavengers. BBoM is really nothing like any of them. It's like saying you've played A Game of Thrones as a DudesOnAMap game so isn't it redundant to try Dune or Dominant Species. There's a kernel of a similar mechanic but the differences far outweigh the similarities. And is probably one that I prefer, at least for now and a few plays in, over the rest of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We own a lot of deckbuilders, and big book definitely had a prominent place in our collection. It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.