Popular Tags: [View All]
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant seeks to give Dracula more options to go on the offensive to score points. (I would suggest pairing it with my variant which delays the Fury of Dracula ability when Dracula has recently been at sea.)

This builds on the Noctural Visit event card:

Nocturnal Visit:
Play at the end of the Dracula phase.
Each combat resolved during the next dawn or day is resolved as if it was night.

Remove Nocturnal Visit from the event deck and place it next to Dracula's player card. It is now considered an ability, with an activation cost:
1) Dracula takes 1 damage
2) Dracula removes one power card in his deck from the game.
3) remove one Dracula combat card from the game.

The goal is to give Dracula more opportunity to go on the offensive, but at a (increasing) cost. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

2) Dracula removes one power card in his deck from the game of the hunters choice.

Letting the hunters choose which card to remove would stop Dracula from spamming this move.

If you left 3) in there you would also need to let the hunters choose, because Dracula would just thin his deck.

The main issue would be Dracula using this on turn one, the hunters would have only had 2 phases to equip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
The main issue would be Dracula using this on turn one, the hunters would have only had 2 phases to equip.

Several good suggestions. On the last point (above), the ability might require at least one Despair Token to be on the board before it can be activated (along the lines of FoD ability).

Alternatively, the requirement could be that at least 4 locations be on the trail to activate the Nocturnal Visit ability. This would give hunters a buffer at the start, and would also remove the ability temporarily after a vampire matures (and the trail clears).

Another sort of activation cost might for the hunters to reveal a location, an encounter, or "ping" a city of their choice. Those are all things they can already do with Hunter event cards: no new mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
This variant seeks to give Dracula more options to go on the offensive to score points. (I would suggest pairing it with my variant which delays the Fury of Dracula ability when Dracula has recently been at sea.)

This builds on the Noctural Visit event card:

Nocturnal Visit:
Play at the end of the Dracula phase.
Each combat resolved during the next dawn or day is resolved as if it was night.

Remove Nocturnal Visit from the event deck and place it next to Dracula's player card. It is now considered an ability, with an activation cost:
2) Dracula removes one power card in his deck from the game.
3) remove one Dracula combat card from the game.

The goal is to give Dracula more opportunity to go on the offensive, but at a (increasing) cost. Thoughts?

Great idea Randil! It will encourage combat by dracula himself.
Questions:
1. Dracula is pretty strong against sole hunters but very weak against multiple. So he needs help there.
How about making this ability only usable against multiple hunters?

2. The activation costs - are they:
A. He chooses 1 of them?
OR B. he must pay all 3? This would seem too costly to me, and discourage him from using the ability (which then defeats the purpose of this variant!)

I would prefer that he has the option of the cost, giving him more strategic options based on his situation. If you felt that would be too cheap, then we can just increase the costs ( 2 damage OR lose 1 power card for the game of hunter's choice OR lose 1 combat card for the game of hunter's choice )

3. What about allowing Dracula to engage multiple hunters in combat?
Ie he chooses 1 combat card for each hunter in the fight
- he would possibly need to draw more combat cards (I forget if + when he replenishes his hand, but that number can be tweaked easily)
- at least now he's a bit stronger in multiple combat, but hunters still have good chance to damage him significantly.

- Would certainly make the game more exciting!

I also really like some of your other suggestions to:

A. Prevent Admiral Dracula in week 3 cruising for a cheap FOD per victory(1.Damage tokens for each sea location on track + 2. make FOD ability optional with cost of 1 damage),

B. TIMER FOR HUNTER PHASE (6 minutes for day AND night actions - paused for combat) + MINOR REWARD for sticking to that time:
1) A peak at the bottom of the Event deck (to see card type).
2) A one-for-one item/ticket trade (blind, no discussion allowed)
3) A "partial scan" of one city adjacent to a hunter. Dracula must tell the hunters whether there is any suspicious activity there (i.e., it is either on his trial or a lair). However, Dracula does not reveal WHERE on the trial it is, nor whether he is there personally.
4) Next combat, Dracula must reveal 2 cards (randomly) from his combat hand. (Cumulative perk)
5) Dracula puts a power card of the Hunter's choice on the 5th slot of the trail. (He can't use it until it falls off the trail.)

Along with those sorts of "carrots" which help the hunter, I suggest one radical "stick". Track cumulative hunter time used. At the 60 minute mark, finish the current turn (up to the next dawn). Then, if you are still in Week 1, advance the time marker to Monday-Dawn of Week 2. (That is, if it took over 60 minutes to get through Friday of Week 1, skip Saturday and Sunday, and begin Week 2.) Add despair token and rumor token (if used). Start the clock over for Week 2.

I think many of the game's problems (for me at least) may be finally solved - resulting in a quicker game (2-3hours), and a more fun + exciting game with more combat.

Look forward to everyone's feedback!

And to those who are happy with game as it is, great for u! That's why I'm posting in variants, for those of us who want to improve (and shorten) OUR bad experience! I like FOD, but 4-5 hours is FAR too long for what it offers.

Regards, Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.