Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
460 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Captain America 75th Anniversary» Forums » General

Subject: What You're Getting - Spoiler Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff P
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2016, the world celebrates the 75th Anniversary of the first Avenger, Captain America. Cap first appeared in Captain America Comics #1, dated March 1941, fighting against the Axis forces in World War II. He is one of the most popular super heroes of all time, having appeared in comics, movies, television and more over the years. However, his generation-spanning appeal doesn’t necessarily come from his feats or his physical prowess. Even though the Super-Soldier Serum imbued him with strength and abilities beyond those of a normal human, Captain America does not lose his humanity. Quite the contrary, actually. As a “man out of time,” his early 20th century upbringing has always shaped his personality and his ideals, which often have made for a refreshing change and a viewpoint that can often get forgotten here in the 21st century. Also, Captain America has been the living embodiment of not just patriotism, but also for standing up for those who can’t defend themselves and for doing what’s right (even when what’s right isn’t what’s easy). It’s those qualities that have endeared him to countless fans for three-quarters of a century, and will undoubtedly continue to do so for many years to come.

Here at Upper Deck, we are celebrating Captain America’s 75th anniversary by releasing a small box expansion for the Legendary® Deck Building Game dedicated to Cap and his legacy. You’ll find 100 cards showcasing Captain America, allies who have taken up his mantle throughout the years, plus many of his famous enemies. You’ll also see some new keywords that are thematic to Captain America and the principles for which he stands. As we lead up to release, we’ll be showing you previews of some of the cards in the set. Not only does the Captain America 75th Anniversary expansion contain Heroes and Villains, but you’ll also receive two all-new Masterminds and four of the most innovative and challenging new Schemes you’ve seen in Legendary to date.

This week, we’ll begin by showing you the first new keyword, Savior. So here’s the birthday boy himself, Captain America 1941:

You’ll find many cards in this expansion such as Liberate the Prisoners that have Savior. After all, Captain America exists to save people who are in danger, save our country, save the world, save the universe, etc. In Legendary, cards that have the Savior keyword ask you to take a look at a player’s victory pile. If you have three or more Bystanders in your victory pile, then you are a “Savior.” Many cards, such as Liberate the Prisoners, will give a player a benefit if he or she is a Savior. In this case, if you are a Savior, you get to draw a card. It’s as simple as that.

There is one rule that should be mentioned regarding Savior. You will notice there’s one other effect on Liberate the Prisoners above. If you’ve already played an Avengers card before you play Liberate the Prisoners, you get to rescue a Bystander. What if you have two Bystanders in your victory pile, then you play a different Avengers card, and then you play Liberate the Prisoners after that? Does that third Bystander count towards being a Savior or not? The answer is that it does. The general rule is if a Hero card rescues a Bystander, that counts towards any Savior ability on that Hero.

What are some of the more powerful Savior effects you’ll find on these new cards? Here’s an example of one, featuring another character to have taken up the shield as Captain America: Falcon.

As you can see, Savior is a pretty powerful ability here. Depending on how many different classes you have, Star-Spangled Hero can generate an immense amount of both Attack and Recruit points for you.

We’re just getting started looking at some of the new cards and abilities in the Captain America 75th Anniversary expansion, so stay tuned! Of course, you might be asking when this set will actually be available. The Captain America 75th Anniversary expansion for the Legendary® Deck Building Game will be available at the end of February! Yes, that’s right. You’ll have these cards in your hands soon! But there’s still a little ways to go before then, so we’ll be back before you know it with another early look at this great expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelin will be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That rare, tho.

I'm liking that mechanic, but the Keyword is a bit superfluous in this case. Keywords that don't get reused a lot are more functional if a simple rules text just gets printed each time.

Minor quibble, of course. Not looking to complain. I'm really happy for Preview Thursday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh, and that pseudo-old art style for old Cap looks great! Stylistically different, and similar enough not to be jarring like a deck or three in Secret Wars. Super awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
flag msg tools
So are we doing previews every Thursday like Secret Wars vol. 2? If so that leaves only one more Thursday in February. Great preview by the way Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squijitt wrote:
So are we doing previews every Thursday like Secret Wars vol. 2? If so that leaves only one more Thursday in February. Great preview by the way Jeff!

Great! Thanks so much, Jeff. So happy to have the release date too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Jeff. Thank you!

Loving the Savior keyword. Very appropriate for Cap.

Also loving that you went with Captain America (Falcon). Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the news. End of month is exciting. I was honestly expecting not 'til mid or late March since there hadn't been more concrete word this late into February. I've still got Secret Wars Vol. 2 cards I haven't played. I better get busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cummings
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to place the artist for the 1940's Cap. Looks like Bruce Timm with those squared off fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyTempest wrote:
I'm trying to place the artist for the 1940's Cap. Looks like Bruce Timm with those squared off fingers.

(hint: look right above the word Bystander in the card text box)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just realized something.... Why is Captain America 1941 affiliated with the Avengers? The Avengers didn't exist in 1941! *scratches head* The Howling Commandos or the SSR would've made more sense here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Just realized something.... Why is Captain America 1941 affiliated with the Avengers? The Avengers didn't exist in 1941! *scratches head*

Maybe it is the recently un-frozen Cap. Running around with the Avengers when they first formed up....comic storyline. Where the one in the movies is the Cap in the Base Box?

I got nuthin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:
DarthEd wrote:
Just realized something.... Why is Captain America 1941 affiliated with the Avengers? The Avengers didn't exist in 1941! *scratches head*

Maybe it is the recently un-frozen Cap. Running around with the Avengers when they first formed up....comic storyline. Where the one in the movies is the Cap in the Base Box?

I got nuthin'

Earth's Mightiest Heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I think I got it... He's "the first Avenger". Subtitle to the first Captain America movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
Oh, and that pseudo-old art style for old Cap looks great! Stylistically different, and similar enough not to be jarring like a deck or three in Secret Wars. Super awesome.

That's Al Milgrom just doing what he's always done. He's never been a favorite of mine, but it's good to see him getting work here, after how he was turfed out of Marvel back in the '90s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
OK, I think I got it... He's "the first Avenger". Subtitle to the first Captain America movie.

Let's all agree to go with that and never bring it up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stroud
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love it. I can't get enough of this game. Thanks, Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffP300 wrote:
TonyTempest wrote:

(hint: look right above the word Bystander in the card text box)

Milgrom original for Legendary?!

NICE!!

JeffP300 wrote:
expansion for the Legendary® Deck Building Game will be available at the end of February!

Will it be available at my LFGS by Feb 27th? That's when I'm going - so that would be really neat (it's a 40 minute drive for me...).

Thanks!

-rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jones
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Cap Falc looks like Bruno Mars are we going to get a CapFalc/Uptown Funk card?

runnestrand wrote:
ludd_gang wrote:
Do you think they'd do 3 versions of Cap? They sure could I guess, I was thinking maybe it was just a single hero with a historical arc treatment of the card art. But yeah, Civil War set for Carter makes a lot of sense too.

I'm thinking

Sam Wilson Captain America
The Winter Soldier
WWII Captain America
Peggy Carter
Steve Rogers, Super Soldier

2 for 5 so far Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjones2013 wrote:
CapFalc

Why would you go this route when FalCap is right there whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jones
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
jjones2013 wrote:
CapFalc

Why would you go this route when FalCap is right there whistle

Because I am not a smart man...

In all honesty I was just reading left to right on the card. "Captain America (Falcon)"

Edit: And because a part of me really wants this character to be called Captain Falcon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
I am where I need to be when I need to be.
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the preview Jeff. Everything I have seen in this preview has impressed me. I really like the little details like calling Sam Wilson 'Captain America (Falcon)'.

I don't mind both of the two heroes shown being Avengers. Adding an additional group like Howling Commando's and the like is pointless if there are not going to be a lot of cards using that team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jurney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Honestly I'm excited to see these schemes. What makes them so difficult? That's what really sets this game apart for me is the schemes, so I'm liking that teaser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might we hope in vain for a Thrown Artifact in this expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Upper Deck Customer Care wants me to mail in a receipt and some UPCs to resolve a missing card issue. Since the mailing address is 3 miles away from my house, I'm thinking of just bringing it to the office in person. Want to meet me out in the lobby, Jeff? Maybe play a few rounds with the new cards? Eh? Eh? I'll sign an NDA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] |