Subject: Scenarios with pre-defined/suggested forces? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if there were any scenarios, official or otherwise, that give a list of forces or suggestions for what ships to bring?

I am not that great at building decent forces. I don't play in tournaments and I thought it might be easier to get the family to play if we could pick a scenario, grab the ships it lists and go. I would probably get to play this more as a pick up game with new people, too.

It would probably make me buy more ships, too.

Any suggestion or ideas?

Thanks.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every single ship that is available for retail purchase comes with a scenario that is specific to that ship. Most of them are pretty entertaining. If you can recall the episodes that the ships appear in, most of the scenarios that come with them pertain to that in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
When I started playing, I bought the starter set (obviously) and the USS Equinox expansion (originally because I needed the Nova class model for our pen and paper Star Trek role playing game). The Equinox came with the mission "Under Attack". It's a pretty simple mission.

40 points Federation (which must be a Nova class) vs. 40 points other Faction. With only the starter set and the Equinox it was very easy to build 2 40-point fleets.

So I would start by buying one Expansion, play that mission and go from there. I have scanned all of my missions as PDF but I'm not sure I'm allowed to upload them here.

To get friends and family to play I have created simple starter fleets (with 36 points or so for each faction) which are easy to manage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I will look at those scenarios more closely.

CaptainShran, would you mind sharing your starter fleets?

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
CaptainShran, would you mind sharing your starter fleets?

Sure, depends on what expansions you have (not all of them are from the starter)

Federation:
- USS Enterprise-D [28]
- Jean-Luc Picard (8) [6]

Romulan:
- IRW Khazara [30]
- Toroth (7) [4]

Klingon:
- IKS Koraga/Pagh [26]
- Worf (5) [3]
- Photon Torpedoes [5]

Dominion:
- Kraxon/Koranak/Reklar/Aldara/Trager [26]
- Gul Dukat (7) [5]
- Captured Intelligence [3] or Aft/Dorsal Weapons Array [3]

So thats 34 points each. You can play 1v1, 1v1v1, 2v2. The fleets are as easy as possible and teach you about the very basics of the game. It worked well as an introduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That is a good place to start for me.

I wonder if WizKids would make a scenario book with points and suggested forces. Like a campaign book. I think WotC did something similar with their Star Wars Miniatures game.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The missions are very good in general. You can find my reviews of some of the missions on the Warp Core Breach Podcast.

Generally they mandate the ship the mission comes with AND maybe a card or two and make the other ships somewhat more liberal to choose. Sometimes it's obvious which ones they WANT you to take (based on the original TV/Movie battle the mission is based on). Bear in mind that since the missions were written a lot of ships have come out so some missions might be easier or harder than they intended them to be so use some judgement.

The best way to play them is to play them out with a friend and then switch sides and play his fleet. You tend to learn something that way.

Building a good fleet is a skill somewhat unrelated to actually playing the ships on the board, BUT if you play someone else's fleet you may not understand how it is supposed to be played. It's worth taking the effort to learn to build the fleet yourself so you know how it is supposed to fly. Plus no-one else has the exact mix of ships you have so your build might differ from theirs.

If you tell us exactly what you have maybe we can suggest starting "concepts" for building your fleets but the missions are a good starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.