Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Actual board games with interesting/great card play. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for games in the vein of:

Lewis & Clark
Mage Knight
Gears of War
Tash-Kalar (to an extent)

in that there's great card play that represents varying (and interesting) possible choices. I don't much like games with JUST cards (besides Race for the Galaxy) and enjoy seeing how my hand of cards plays out on the board.

Any ideas?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
La Granja
Rococo
Imperial Settlers

These are some I have, enjoy and can think of right now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alien Frontiers with the Outer Belt

...more worker placement than card based, but tech cards + asteroid cards create a much better game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain1957 wrote:
Concordia


I really think I need to pick this up as I keep hearing about it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deus
La Isla
Heroes Wanted
Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't believe I forgot viticulture and Concordia. I really enjoy both of those games a lot!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
How about branching out? Go crazy with

Twilight Struggle
Kingdom of Heaven
Unhappy King Charles
Hammer of the Scots
Here I Stand
Virgin Queen
Wilderness War
Hannibal
Napoleonic Wars
Washington's War
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure this is quite what you mean, but I really like how the lore cards in BattleLore (Second Edition) affect the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Concordia
I'd add Bruges
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deus
Summoner Wars
Impulse
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A Study in Emerald (second edition) - Full disclosure; I've never played this. But I love the first edition and it's not easily attainable. So I'm blindly recommending the second edition.
Concordia
Deus
China - For a lighter option.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For something recent, try Mombasa
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Rococo, Lewis and Clark and Concordia. In that order as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Twilight Imperium.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Twilight Imperium.


I'd love to try that but we only ever play 2p.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How's replay value on Concordia? I've heard mixed results because of the supposed static set-up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
How's replay value on Concordia? I've heard mixed results because of the supposed static set-up.
Concordia doesn't have a static set up, as far as I can remember. If you're only playing two player you may want to get Concordia: Salsa as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
79strat wrote:
How's replay value on Concordia? I've heard mixed results because of the supposed static set-up.
Concordia doesn't have a static set up, as far as I can remember. If you're only playing two player you may want to get Concordia: Salsa as well.


What does the expansion add for 2p? Thx. Whoever's review I read that stated it was a static set-up must have been wrong because I'm seeing it is variable now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Relax wrote:
79strat wrote:
How's replay value on Concordia? I've heard mixed results because of the supposed static set-up.
Concordia doesn't have a static set up, as far as I can remember. If you're only playing two player you may want to get Concordia: Salsa as well.


What does the expansion add for 2p? Thx. Whoever's review I read that stated it was a static set-up must have been wrong because I'm seeing it is variable now.

Rhado does a great run through that explains it all in great detail, but it basically adds a very small and tight map that makes the two player game more interesting. It adds other things as well, but the tighter map is great specifically for two player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll check his video out though I bought the base game anyways just now. I'll probably grab Salsa once I find out if I like the base game (my rule is never buy an expansion unless I try the main game first!).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
I'll check his video out though I bought the base game anyways just now. I'll probably grab Salsa once I find out if I like the base game (my rule is never buy an expansion unless I try the main game first!).

And a very sensible rule that is. The base game does come with two maps anyway, with the Italy map being smaller than the other.

I feel bad mentioning this now that you've already bought it, but the game differs from those you've listed in that you only ever play one card on your turn. The trick is in knowing which card to play and which cards to buy as the cards both give you different actions but also determine how you score at the end of the game. I think it is a very interesting game with challenging choices, but there's no playing combos all in one turn...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
79strat wrote:
I'll check his video out though I bought the base game anyways just now. I'll probably grab Salsa once I find out if I like the base game (my rule is never buy an expansion unless I try the main game first!).

And a very sensible rule that is. The base game does come with two maps anyway, with the Italy map being smaller than the other.

I feel bad mentioning this now that you've already bought it, but the game differs from those you've listed in that you only ever play one card on your turn. The trick is in knowing which card to play and which cards to buy as the cards both give you different actions but also determine how you score at the end of the game. I think it is a very interesting game with challenging choices, but there's no playing combos all in one turn...


That's alright it still looks cool. I like how the rule book is 2 pages or whatever (it's short I remember). Super tired of these 20+ page books for now. Thx
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand your request I would recommend:

+1 for Twilight Struggle

Perhaps Forbidden Stars - I have yet to play with two but from what I've read it plays very well at that count. So if you were looking into Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) but the lack of two player or long play time was a deal breaker this one might be just what your looking for.

Food Chain Magnate - A bit pricy but plays well at two and the manner in which one attains and "manages" employes is quite interesting.

Thunder Alley - IMO it plays well at two players, even better with more. That said the card play involves tough decisions fighting for positioning, attempting to group ones card to maximize movement and break away from or attach ones self to ones oponents.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.