United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I am excited to announce that 10th annual Golden Geek nominations for the Best Games of 2015 are now open!

The Golden Geek Award is given annually to the best new games of the year, as selected by you, the users. The "Geekies" will be given in the following categories:

For Board Games
---------------
- Board Game of The Year
- Best Strategy Game
- Best Thematic Game
- Best Family Game
- Best Wargame
- Best 2-player Game
- Best Party Game
- Best Card Game
- Best Artwork/Presentation
- Best Expansion
- Best Print & Play (New Rules See Below!)
- Most Innovative
- Best Solo Game
- Best Podcast
- Best Board Game App/Videogame (New category)

For RPGs
--------
- RPG Game of the Year
- Best Artwork & Presentation
- Best Supplement
- Best Podcast

For Video Games
---------------
- Video Game of the Year
- Best Visuals/Artwork
- Best Indie Game
- Best Mobile/Handheld Game
- Most Innovative Game
- Best PC Game (New category)
- Best Xbox One Game (New category)
- Best PS4 Game (New category)
- Best Wii U Game (New category)
- Best 3DS Game (New category)
- Best PS Vita Game (New category)

You may notice there are a few changes for this year. We've removed the Abstract Games, and Children's games categories from the board game award due to lack of participation. We've added Best Board Game App to the board game awards.

There is a new rule for the Print & Play category - the nominees for this category may not be a title that has been, in the process of, or announcement of it being published or crowdfunded during the award period.

In addition, we've added 6 new categories to the video game award for each major platform (PC, XBox One, PS4, Wii U, 3DS, and PS Vita).

Here are the specifics:

In order to avoid voter fraud, we have adopted the following restrictions. Voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient),voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee, or users who have purchased an avatar or a geekbadge.

Anyone caught stuffing the ballot box will have their votes removed and be suspended permanently from the site.

There will be two steps to selecting the winners.

First, there will be a nomination phase. Each eligible voter can nominate up to 10 items in each of the categories. The 10 items with the most nominations in each category will become the nominees for the final voting. You are not restricted to the list of suggested nominees.

The board game nomination page is here.
The RPG nomination page is here.
The video game nomination page is here.

The final voting will be resolved using a condorcet voting system - specifically the Schulze method. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

For those who don't want to read the specifics of the system, users will rank the games in each category from 1 to 10, (with a 0 for no opinion), and, through some mathemagical computations, we will select the winner.

The nomination phase will run until 12am midnight CST March 4th 2016 and the final voting for 2 more weeks after that - March 18 2016. The winners will be announced shortly afterwards.

You are welcome to campaign, discuss voting and nominations, etc, as much as you like. Let the awards begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh man, I loved the childrens game category cuz I have kids! Hope it comes back next year. and abstract game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you nominate Life is Strange as Game of the Year ?

Do you need to choose all five episodes separately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
We really need a Golden Geek Awards Show! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I play Print n Play games, but what are the new rules for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
"No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood."
badge
Small talk (noun): insincere questions and dishonest answers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are video series included in the RPG "Best podcast" category? If so, where can I nominate Matt Mercer and cast's amazing Critical role?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
There's no listing under podcasts for The Adventure Zone? That's a shame, it's amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hodkinson
Canada
Kemble
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
兵者,詭道也。
badge
mb
godunow wrote:

You can use the game entry you made for the 5 episode compilation: Life is Strange
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewhodkinson wrote:
godunow wrote:

You can use the game entry you made for the 5 episode compilation: Life is Strange

Ahh, ok, thanks. Somehow with filter set to "owned" list was showing only separate episodes, but after switching to "rated" it has shown this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the filter work. When I click "Owned" it doesn't show my whole collection; is it just ones that came out in 2015?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocab wrote:

I wonder which celebrity we could get to host it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Martins
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Once upon a time, there was this guy named mawkee..
badge
Hey, what are you trying to do??!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
Jocab wrote:

I wonder which celebrity we could get to host it?

Wil Weathon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
How does the filter work. When I click "Owned" it doesn't show my whole collection; is it just ones that came out in 2015?

Of course. The award is for games that came out in 2015! The filter would not be very useful if it showed all of your owned games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
captainraffi wrote:

Of course. The award is for games that came out in 2015! The filter would not be very useful if it showed all of your owned games.

That's what I initially thought, but if you don't apply a filter at all then any game can be added, even if not released in 2015.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Dellutro
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a geek badge different than a micro badge? I've purchased a micro badge and it states that those who've purchased a geek badge are eligible to vote. Wondering if I should be eligible (I'm not currently).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekbadge is the one that goes above your avatar, with me it's the thing that says Call of Cthulhu. It's not a microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a save button. If I leave the page will my nominations remain saved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
I don't see a save button. If I leave the page will my nominations remain saved?

Yes, the little instruction box in the beginning says so, but it disappears after you start adding things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
russ wrote:
captainraffi wrote:

That's what I initially thought, but if you don't apply a filter at all then any game can be added, even if not released in 2015.
Problem is, it actually seems to show games whose entry in the database is 2015. This excludes games that were Kickstartered, but which weren't available until 2015 despite having an earlier entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocab wrote:

Check out the recent Squirrelly Awards episode of the podcast Rolling Dice & Taking Names. Great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Davies
United Kingdom
Haddenham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame there's no podcast category for video games - there are a number of excellent ones out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
russ wrote:
captainraffi wrote:

Interesting. I should start a campaign to make Go win as Game of the Year!

But seriously, how do you add any game? I only see the possibility to add games explicitly appearing in the list on the left.

Aha, I figured it out: by searching for item. Yep, I can add Go as a nominee. Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunc wrote:
There's no listing under podcasts for The Adventure Zone? That's a shame, it's amazing.

Came to say the same thing. Best RPG podcast I've ever heard.

edit: I guess maybe we need to get it added to the database...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Eisbrenner
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No best written reviewer or video reviewer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb K.
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to nominate Argent: Mancers of the University for the expansion category but it wasn't listed. It was most definitely released in 2015.

Edit: I found it by using the search function but it doesn't show up by any other means or is in the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.