Subject: Is Freitag that mighty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Schmid
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

we played RC and as fans of co-op-games we really enjoyed it, but it was NOT a challenge for us as everyone says.....
BUT we always used Freitag for our 2-Player-Game to assist. Now my girlfriend is a little disapointed cause it s not such a challenge then Pandemic with 5 EpidemicCards and here is the question:
Is this Freitag such mighty. I am afraid she won´t play this game with me again after we had 3 times really a to easy game. We played Castaway and Rescue Jenny.
Any suggestion out there? Oh, and yes, i do have studied the manual seriously and watched a lot of introducional vids. A lot. but maybe there is a tipical bad ass rule, which one could miss easily?....mmhh
Thanks for your help folks. I really want the game next time to defeat us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify for non-German speakers, Feitag = Friday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:

The German is Freitag, not Feitag.
But do you really think non-German speakers have trouble figuring out Freitag = Friday in this context?!?

Anyway, I'd say Friday is a significant help indeed, and I think you should definitely try a game without him if it's too easy for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Cannibal Island.
Don't use Freitag.
Cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Freitag is definitely helpful in a 2 player game, but I don't think he's so "mighty" that it makes the game a breeze. If it was too easy, I can think of three things that happened.

1) You are a board gaming genius.
2) You got really fortunate in your event draws and dice rolls.
3) You played some rules wrong.

I suspect it's a little of all three. For number 3, check out this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Play Cannibal Island.
Don't use Freitag.
Cry.

The simpler way to play this is to take any of the dice in Robinson Crusoe and roll them over and over. When one of the dice comes up as a Batman symbol, you win! It's seems more forgiving than 2 player Cannibal Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday gives an extra action (or at least guarantees a succes) and gives an extra life buffer. As such, I think he is a huge benefit. He can easily provide that one extra thing you need to get started.

There is always the chance that you somewhere got a rule wrong, but it is always hard to start guessing for that. You can always check the rules section to see if something has been discussed.

brayle wrote:

This can easily be found by searching on BGG: Freitag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:

Or here: Must be missing something: Seems offly easy, help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schmid
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you a lot for all of your help!!!

That thread which Greg recommended me helped a lot. I found out that we played this easy rule wrong:

"If you gather from or explore a tile that is not adjacent to your camp tile, you must use three pawns." I was aware of this rule, but played it wrong anyway. yuk

We always used 2 pawns or 1...and I thought we had them all...whistle

now, without Friday (what means "freeday" if you translate 1 by 1 for some more of the educatinal flavour in this thread )
and with the right rule my girlfriend and me will die a nice dead. Sounds weird, but i am looking forward to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiet wrote:
brayle wrote:

The German is Freitag, not Feitag.
But do you really think non-German speakers have trouble figuring out Freitag = Friday in this context?!?

Anyway, I'd say Friday is a significant help indeed, and I think you should definitely try a game without him if it's too easy for you.

Yes, I accidentally misspelled it.

No, I don't think most people will have trouble figuring it out.

Also, there is no need to be rude! I was just trying to be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
I think Freitag is definitely helpful in a 2 player game, but I don't think he's so "mighty" that it makes the game a breeze. If it was too easy, I can think of three things that happened.

1) You are a board gaming genius.
2) You got really fortunate in your event draws and dice rolls.
3) You played some rules wrong.

This was exactly what I was thinking, although I imagined #3 was the main culprit. Guess we were right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
@chrissi696:

Be careful with the rules for distance. You don't ALWAYS use three pawns. The farther away from camp a tile is, the more pawns you need.

On the camp tile / adjacent to the camp tile: 1/2 pawns
One tile between camp tile and the tile you perform the action on: 2/3 pawns
Two tiles between camp tile and the tile you perform the action on: 3/4 panws
etc.
Make sure to always use the shortest possible route ACROSS TILES on the board...

The same is true for exploration, of course, only you don't perform the action ON a tile, but ON an empty space (that always has to be next to a tile, of course).

There are possibly more minor details you might have made an error with. Not saying you did, but one detail can slip by easily.

Any questions, let us know.

Oh, and btw - once you figure out how to win scenario #1, it's not that hard to beat (you will have a decent success rate). Scenario #2 is even easier, once you grok the way to success. I can't say anything about scenario #3 (have not won it yet), but scenario #4 is harder, and #5 is a nightmare. #6 is a little easier than #5, probably on par with #4.

If you still find scenarios too easy, there are suggestions in the rules how to make it harder, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:

Yes, I accidentally misspelled it.

No, I don't think most people will have trouble figuring it out.

Also, there is no need to be rude! I was just trying to be helpful.

Fair enough, my apologies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.