Pub Battles: Brandywine» Forums » General

Subject: Forming Square rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Strand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I must admit that after playing today I have landed firmly in the less is more camp. I really enjoyed the pace of the game. As you know, I have been working on a fantasy version of this system and after today's game I am going to go back and simplify, simplify, simplify. If a rule isn't absolutely essential...Out it goes!

I had ratings on heroes and wizards, just like leaders, now I'm saying no to that. It is not necessary. Sure you could do it, and it sounds cool, but it is just another damn thing to test for. Every time you have to test for something, or roll for something, it puts a little more random luck into the game.

A little luck is fun, a little more starts making things feel too arbitrary.

So you can imagine my attitude towards adding in forming squares and other brigade level Napoleonic drills. who is to say whether or not an officer would judge it necessary? Is giving a higher echelon commander with God-like vision over the battlefield authority he did not possess historically the solution? Sounds like make work to me, or guess work really.

I feel that you have really hit a sweet spot with Brandywine and it troubles me that you are veering off in the wrong direction. You can not be all things to all gamers. There are those minis gamers who live or die by complex rules systems. There is the much broader audience who would enjoy a game like Pub Battles: Brandywine who will be completely non interested in greater complexity. You are never going to attract the former audience (small boat) and you will lose the latter audience(big boat). I believe the latter audience was your target market. I know it is mine. I don't know if my serious Napoleonics friends are going to give this game more than a sniff, but I have several non wargaming friends who are showing an interest already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark motley
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Napoleonics, my vote is that you must capture the rock/paper/scissors interaction of inf/arty/cav, and the approach that does that simplest is best - whether or not it involves orders to form square at this level of command or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.