Shakespeare» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Going heavy on set pieces a bad strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
foldedcard
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
After a couple of games with my wife, she said she got stuck picking up set designers instead of costume designers due to the card draw (and letting me go first at crucial points). As a result, even though she did well on the act tracks it doesn't look like there were enough points available from set pieces for her to do well on a set heavy strategy. I was able to get many of the same set points with cheaper set tiles but get much bigger benefits from dressing characters in rich outfits. But maybe there's a combo she was missing.

Any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should ask.
In my last game, I did close to the opposite. I had 5 (!) fully dressed actors, but scored a whopping 1 point from my set pieces. In the end, I scored my lowest score yet and I sort of concluded that you have to get hold of some of those set pieces every round.
Having said that, my opponent went for the set pieces, but scored even lower than I did. He had two extras and one handyman, so he only used few action cilinders each round, which meant I got limited in my use of characters (otherwise I'd be giving him a free point every round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 20 plays and passionate debate with Ystari guys on TricTrac.net, i think that sets (and especially blue pieces) are good for scoring points through ambiance.

Grabbing 3 and 4 set pieces and activate Falstaff/Lear/Titania/Puck to go for big ambiance is one possible strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
fdubois wrote:
After 20 plays and passionate debate with Ystari guys on TricTrac.net, i think that sets (and especially blue pieces) are good for scoring points through ambiance.

Grabbing 3 and 4 set pieces and activate Falstaff/Lear/Titania/Puck to go for big ambiance is one possible strategy.

Yeah that makes sense. That seems to be what she missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also helps if you can get the objectives that relate to the set, and if you go fully all-in so that you pick up the VP at the top of the set board. Plus if you use a Jeweler for set, of course. And even if you don't get the ambiance pieces you can pay for a lot of your company if you get all the 2s (using all the 1s, on the other hand, is probably suboptimal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyril Demaegd (Ystari boss) said that players almost make the same mistake : build the set the quicker they can. He said that going for heavy set is almost always a matter of time (to finish it on turns 5 or 6) in order to not screw your decorator. It is not the case with the costume maker as you can always recruit and dress actors or extras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Rodgers
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
It sounds like you're playing with 2 - I think sets get better at 3 or 4 since it's more likely for double 3s to show up in the offer (which means you need to do some ambience fixing or you'll get dinged a VP). And it's a lot more efficent to fix abmience through sets than through Falstaff. When I neglect sets in larger games I find myself getting hit with that VP malus pretty often, since either I can't spare the action for Falstaff or he's resting.

It's also harder to pay people when you're going for costumes, since not only are you not getting those 2 set-pieces, you're also probaly going for the higher-value costumes which don't pay back money, and you'll also be tempted by the more expensive actors with a double dress rehersal advancement (or Lady MacBeth). Though this can be made up for with Act 1.

What this translates into is someone going costumes needing to activate the Queen and Falstaff more often.

Sets though need to hit up more actors on rehearsal becuase they have less costumes firing on Day 4 and 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.