Subject: Making My Own Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm building up components around an rpg I'm running with my friends.
I'm going to need to make a couple of hundred unique cards. My questions are:

Which online service offers the best product? Right now I'm leaning towards
Printerstudio.com.

Should I get plastic or linen finish? I really don't know the advantages of one over another.

I'm designing player boards to lay these cards on throughout the game, if that matters.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McBamf wrote:
So I'm building up components around an rpg I'm running with my friends.
I'm going to need to make a couple of hundred unique cards. My questions are:

Which online service offers the best product? Right now I'm leaning towards
Printerstudio.com.

Should I get plastic or linen finish? I really don't know the advantages of one over another.

I'm designing player boards to lay these cards on throughout the game, if that matters.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Since you will spending the most effort in creating the cards, including the time uploading and confirming the cards with the printer, you best get the best quality out of it. Linen finish is nice, but it really is a personal preference.

I have used all the printers out there, and PrinterStudio is my favorite. I thought they did the best overall job, but they also are slightly more expensive... since we are only talking dollars here, the price difference really isn't a deal breaker.

A recently ended promo for cards was pretty good, so if you aren't in a hurry, another should roll around soon... unless you can score one of those first time customer coupons.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PrinterStudio is fantastic -- I've used them for both SmashUp custom cards and Sheriff of Nottingham cards. I would recommend the linen finish for sure. Plastic can dull the colors a little more than linen.

For what it's worth, you'll want to boost the saturation of your cards by about 5% and the brightness by about 10% to get a great look in the cards -- they can print really dark/dull if you just design as if it were for the screen (I made this mistake)

If you're not trying to match any existing cards, absolutely go with PrinterStudio. They're affordable and though the shipping can be long, a great product overall. They also have some special deals at certain times so if you can wait you can get a good deal on that as well.

Two thumbs up from me! thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for PS. Linen is really nice. Plastic is overkill. Think Fantasy Flight cards vs Gloom cards.

I definitely wait for sales. I also agree with the comment about dullness in darker cards. It has never been a problem for me, but the perfectionist in me sees the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of Print & Play (Admagic). They're inexpensive and the cards are of comparable quality to a final, shipped board game product.

However, if you're early in testing and don't have final art, I honestly just recommend getting some really cheap Magic: the Gathering cards, card sleeves, and putting paper in front of them in the sleeve. Extremely cheap, shuffles very easily, and you can make changes effortlessly and swap out the paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gotten cards from both PrinterStudio and Print and Play. They have comparable end products. I find PrinterStudio easier to use, as their web site is awesome. If you have questions or need custom work Print and play is so much nicer. The guy that runs that place is a really awesome guy, that I see each year at BGG con. His prices are better as well. There is another option and that it The Game Crafters. I have only ordered print on demand and have not used their custom card service, but the cards in the print on demand are okay. Not quite as good as the others, but I read they are adding better quality cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok cool. Do you know if they care about what's actually being printed?

I'm using a lot of images I just google and fit what I'm going for. I'm not looking to sell this or anything.
I had a little trouble at Staple's over this this past weekend-I'm not using anything super recognizable, just generic fantasy artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.