Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first details of OblivAeon gameplay have been released, in this Kickstarter Update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinels-of-th...

tl;dr the OblivAeon event is played in two "Battle Zones", each with their own environment and their own villain play area. OblivAeon affects each Battle Zone, and heroes can move between each Battle Zone on their turn by skipping part of their turn. When something affects "all targets", it now affects only targets in that Battle Zone.

In addition to OblivAeon's deck and 2 environments, there will be a Mission deck, A Scion deck, and an Aeon Men deck.

---

Disclaimer: Obviously, I haven't played the OblivAeon event - my concerns could obviously be way off...

It certainly sounds like this new villain will be "epic" and all that, but I'm surprised that the direction they're going to increase the epicness is to add more decks (and a new concept of location) to the game. This is surprising to me when the most common and (in my opinion) most legitimate complaint about Sentinels is that it's too fiddly.

What I was expecting, and hoping for, was not a way to make a single session of the game bigger and more complex. What I think would be a better direction is some kind of multi-session campaign model.

Apart from less potential to make a single session more convoluted, a campaign format, where what you do in a series of games affects how the final boss battle plays out, could be a lot more thematic and more climactic.

Imagine if Thanos had shown up in the first Avengers movie, as an enemy that could be dealt with in a single movie, instead of a shadowy threat in the distance that everyone knows will eventually show up. No matter how convoluted it was to take him out, he'd be just another villain. The buildup over multiple movies - that you see him so far in advance and can't do anything to him directly - is what lets the audience know he's the ultimate bad-guy.

---

All that aside, I'm still looking forward to all the new heroes, promos, and environments, and the collector's case.

I do wonder if a multi-game campaign idea was ever tried, and didn't work out? And am I alone in wanting a multi-game campaign over a single battle with more stuff added?

For an example of what I mean:
*Play x games against different villains - each game's outcome will have an effect on the final boss battle
*For each game, did the villain win? Did the Scion show up - did it survive? Did the heroes achieve any missions, or collect any artifacts to use against OblivAeon when he shows up?
*Final battle against OblivAeon set up includes elements of the outcomes of previous games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
I think the gameplay for OblivAeon sounds awesome it is very fitting for what SotM has always been. Will it be fiddly? Probably, but most players who have played 10 games or more learn how to handle that fiddliness. I don't expect this sort of gameplay should be attempted by new or novice players who would find the fidliness overwhelming.

The whole story arc for SorM has been exactly what you have been looking for. OblivAeon has been in the background as a shadowy figure from the beginning. If you want to do a campaign in game grab 4 new players and teach them the game and build up the villain difficulty until you get to OblivAeon, by then everyone should be able to handle the fiddly nature of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure playtesting of the game will reveal how it plays and whether or not it is that much more fiddly. I personally cannot wait to see how this plays out. I think a giant all-out battle sounds awesome and I am anxious to see how it all comes together. I do want a campaign mode though and I am hoping that is the $1M stretch goal includes one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My concern is that this multiple area thing reminds me of the space game, Galactic Strike Force. That game just took Sentinels one step too far in the fiddly category. But we will see.

Also less concerned about official campaign rules now that there are fan made ones that are looking pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
most players who have played 10 games or more learn how to handle that fiddliness.
This is true, but being able to handle fiddliness is not the same as enjoying it.
lastalchemist wrote:
The whole story arc for SorM has been exactly what you have been looking for. OblivAeon has been in the background as a shadowy figure from the beginning.
You're absolutely right. In the narrative of the game, they're doing exactly what I wanted. Maybe that's part of why I'm so surprised they're not doing an actual campaign.

I should have clarified more - I've always enjoyed all the awesome foreshadowing in the cards, and the stories told in the flavor text, and the great ARG they did. But, for me, if there are no game-play consequences of anything, all of that falls flat. All the times I've played the game, while I've enjoyed them all, will be meaningless when playing this new villain.

And, to be clear, I'm not even saying I won't enjoy the OblivAeon format - I just think a great opportunity is being missed in not having a multi-game buildup to the final boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another thing!...

Like Dominion, one of the strongest parts of this game is its modularity, and how different each game can be. While I like any given game of Dominion, I'm not going to play the same set over and over again - I'm going to play a set, have fun, pick a new set, and have fun the next game.

The most fitting culmination to a game whose major strength (one of many) is replayability rooted in modularity is to give players a reason to play more setups that they may not have played before.

An x-game series that leads up to a final boss fight, where each game makes a difference to the set-up of the final, sounds a lot more replayable than a single, monolithic boss fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
bmacfarlane wrote:
I should have clarified more - I've always enjoyed all the awesome foreshadowing in the cards, and the stories told in the flavor text, and the great ARG they did. But, for me, if there are no game-play consequences of anything, all of that falls flat. All the times I've played the game, while I've enjoyed them all, will be meaningless when playing this new villain.

And, to be clear, I'm not even saying I won't enjoy the OblivAeon format - I just think a great opportunity is being missed in not having a multi-game buildup to the final boss.

Agreed, it would have been nice to have some sort of multi-game build up to this, and I know a number of other people have asked for an official version of this (in my games I have done a campaign that allowed heroes that survived the previous game to draw an extra card for each previously survived game in the campaign and then discard down to the normal four cards which thematically shows their preparation for the next fight and a progression of skilling up). It would have been nice, but it is also leaves room for them to do something later for sentinels fans that they can publish periodically on their website, or something similar.

bmacfarlane wrote:
Like Dominion, one of the strongest parts of this game is its modularity, and how different each game can be. While I like any given game of Dominion, I'm not going to play the same set over and over again - I'm going to play a set, have fun, pick a new set, and have fun the next game.

The most fitting culmination to a game whose major strength (one of many) is replayability rooted in modularity is to give players a reason to play more setups that they may not have played before.

An x-game series that leads up to a final boss fight, where each game makes a difference to the set-up of the final, sounds a lot more replayable than a single, monolithic boss fight.

I believe the end game will be slightly different from game to game as you play with different environments each time, and you will have different scions and shields in play also. At least that is how I am understanding the setup from the update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
I believe the end game will be slightly different from game to game as you play with different environments each time, and you will have different scions and shields in play also. At least that is how I am understanding the setup from the update.
I'm guessing it will be more than slightly different: what we've seen of the scions so far sounds quite different from each other. I'm also going to guess that the mission deck adds more variability: if they were originally planning for a 10-card mission deck, you're not likely to get through a 25-card deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in the art chat today asked if there were any other play modes in the works, and Christopher said that OblivAeon was indeed the last thing they're releasing. I'll file this in the same folder as "There won't be any more Dominion expansions", but I'll take him at his word for now.

It was also asked how easy it would be to modify current villain decks to be playable in the OblivAeon event play mode (assuming it's actually fun to play), and he said that this was made to only really play with OblivAeon, so it seems like it's not only going to be a specific play mode like Vengeance, but only with this specific set of cards. That's not a big deal, obviously, and doesn't diminish the value of this expansion. As near as I can tell, the environments will always be swappable, along with the heroes of course. I'd be concerned that playing against OblivAeon would feel samey samey after a couple of plays, but I guess that's no different than any of the other special setup or flipping that some villains do.

While there's more than enough game (counting all of the eventual SotM content) to last a lifetime, this will always be a game that begs for more content. Before GTG retires the card game, I just want there to be enough variable character types, powers, environments, play modes, etc, that the modders and customizers have the largest possible developers kit available to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thomas
msg tools
mbmb
I agree! I am not looking forward to the fighting the villain so much because it sounds more fiddly and not as simple to play.

I agree though I am in this Kickstarter campaign for the Heroes!!! That is what the multiverse is all about. I don't think the villains need to be tweaked any bit more. I am really hoping that the greater than games will go out of their way to make the heroes awesome and with new mechanics.

My favorite heroes have had the new mechanics and hopefully they put a lot of effort into making the new heroes match the villains (for example Akashbuta has lots of HP(50), but takes damage if her cards are destroyed and such). I am hoping for awesome heroes and I might play the Oblivaeon once or twice and if it stinks, oh well there are plenty of simpler villains from other expansions in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe when they say this is their last Sentinels of the Multiverse product in its current iteration. They want to move on to the RPG and revise Sentinel Tactics so that it can be a viable product. I personally feel that Sentinels of the Multiverse has run its course. Now, that's not to say we as a community can't design new heroes, villains, environments, or even new stories; but the game is huge when you think about it. We will have over 30 heroes villains, and environments a piece which will satisfy me personally if they never put out another project. They and we love this world and honestly, the best way to grow it is through the other two Sentinel games. If they come back to the card world, great! If not, I will enjoy making my own stories from what they provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmacfarlane wrote:
the OblivAeon event is played in two "Battle Zones", each with their own environment and their own villain play area. OblivAeon affects each Battle Zone, and heroes can move between each Battle Zone on their turn by skipping part of their turn. When something affects "all targets", it now affects only targets in that Battle Zone.

I can't remember if it was this was on a forum or a discussion in a shop, but at one point I remember brainstorming an idea where six or seven people could play Sentinels at once. The obvious problem is that (H) effects lose the balance they have outside the 3-5 player count range. Having two villains with segmented battles was the exact solution we came up with for this problem, but we never devised a mechanic that would allow a hero to switch from battle to the other, so nothing beyond talk ever came of it.

The point I am moving towards here is that if Oblivaeon is meant to be this epic battle, it seems like letting more heroes join the fight just adds to the epicness. I wonder if the segmented play area they are introducing would allow up to ten heroes to enter the fight to save the universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up. They have addressed this idea of how to switch areas. Every turn, individual heroes may skip one of their turn phases (play power draw) to substitute it for movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ensign53 wrote:
Just a heads up. They have addressed this idea of how to switch areas. Every turn, individual heroes may skip one of their turn phases (play power draw) to substitute it for movement.

This was an old version of the rule during play testing. The final version, as shown in the latest update, is that a Hero can freely switch between zones at the start of his/her Hero turn. Play testing obviously showed that sacrificing a phase of the turn was too costly/not fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.