Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adastra
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With this thread I would like to show off my (mostly) self-made Dixit box*. I'm afraid there is no online shop where you can buy this, but maybe this will be inspiring for the craftier geeks around here.

Like many people in this forum, I ran into a bit of a problem when I started buying expansions for Dixit, and especially when I decided to sleeve all my Dixit cards. I could hardly fit any of them into the standard Dixit box anymore, so I came up with a plan.

And what I thought would be the best solution, would be a box with 6 equal spaces, all of which hold a stack of ~85 sleeved Dixit cards. I measured the sleeved stacks, calculating in a bit of leeway to get them in and out, and this was the plan I then drafted in a 3D app:

I thought about building this box myself, but I didn't really have any of the necessary tools for that – most importantly a saw that saws straight edges. So I merely printed this plan and gave it to my father, in order to have him ask one of his best friends, the local carpenter, to make this box for me. A couple of months later, I had a beautifully, hand-crafted box that holds all the cards a game of Dixit can handle!

However, there were still two important things missing: an actual board to measure the point when playing, and the top of the box. So I decided to combine the two and create an upper box which also acts as a scoring board. For this, I bought some wood at a local craft store and tried as best as I could be measure it out so it would fit nicely on top of the lower box. With these measurements drawn on the board, I went to my father again, asking him to saw this board into parts. His saw wouldn't cut straight edges though, so we walked over to his carpenter buddy's workshop, where the apprentice did a wonderful job of cutting the board into 5 pieces; the top and the 4 sides. I took these parts home again and started preparing the decoration; the Dixit logo** for the 4 sides, and the scoring board for the top. In order to do that, I just printed the Dixit logo and transferred it onto the wood with baking paper. For the scoring board, I first created the numbers in Illustrator, roughly in an inward-twisting spiral. I then printed and enlarged this to fit the wooden board and embellished it with twig/vine/tentacly-thingy drawings. Afterwards, I transferred this to the board as well.

Having the blueprint in place, I then heated up the 'burn peter' (literal translation) and started engraving the entire box along the pencil lines:

And once I finished doing that, there was only one last but very important step: gluing it all together. I was a bit worried that gluing might not hold the box together, but so far, it's been looking good. To glue it, I wrapped the lower box in shrinkwrap and then put the upper box on top of it the way it's supposed to end up, using some heavy bottles to hold everything in place. Just to be sure, I let it dry like this for two days. This worked rather well and the result is a beautiful, definitely unique box:

So obviously creating a box like this requires quite a bit of expertise in carpeting. But with the proper tools (which I obviously don't have myself), I think you could easily recreate a similar box for yourself. The box has been holding together nicely and stores at least 3 expansions. I think it might be able to hold a 4th one, but I'm content with my deck of Dixit cards for now and won't buy any other ones.

Also, you might have noticed that I didn't add the "0" to the scoreboard - simply because I wasn't paying enough attention. But it's not a very big deal when playing, because we just put the meeples next to the board before we begin.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this and perhaps you're even inspired to start crafting yourself!

----

* Parts of this post where originally posted on my blog at http://adastra.me/2015/10/how-to-improve-your-board-game-box...
** The copyright for the Dixit logo remains with the game producer. I would like to point out that I only made this for personal use. I have never and will never earn money with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Forsberg
Sweden
Norrköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
The boardgaming chef!
badge
"Anyone can cook but only the fearless can be great"
mbmbmbmbmb
I want one of those!

Awesome work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.