Subject: Almost 10 years after: The Android App rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello Starcraft BG fans,

Starting in Android development, I made an application to get all unit details embedded.
Detailed cost, combat cards, Technologies per unit are listed (including Brood War).

It also features an assistant to setup a new game from the opening of the box to the first turn.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=saturn.worksho...

I think I could add some more information, like match up statistics, average Attack/Health, etc.
Any feedback is very welcome !

• [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work on the app!!

Some feedback for you:

1} Double tapping on any picture while showing how to setup the game causes the app to crash.

2} Minor attack values on combat cards are also important in some cases so you should add them too.

3} Leadership card info would also be nice to have

4} I have a 4.5 inch screen phone and the text size while watching various card abilities was a bit small and I had to move the phone closer to read. There was enough empty space on the screen to make the letters bigger and still fit the info on the screen.

5} Maybe add the official scenario setup too? Not sure this is needed at all, I'm just writing some ideas for you to consider.

That's all. All in all, nice idea and a good aid for those people who still play this awesome game. (I still think that it's FFGs greatest game of all time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for you feedback Vasilis, very useful.

Bowmangr wrote:

1} Double tapping on any picture while showing how to setup the game causes the app to crash.

No such issue on my phone. Which version of Android and which phone do you use ? So I can emulate it to reproduce.

Bowmangr wrote:

2} Minor attack values on combat cards are also important in some cases so you should add them too.

I agree, but it is more about where to display them. I need to think about it.

Bowmangr wrote:

Working on it for next release

Bowmangr wrote:

4} I have a 4.5 inch screen phone and the text size while watching various card abilities was a bit small and I had to move the phone closer to read. There was enough empty space on the screen to make the letters bigger and still fit the info on the screen.

Ok, I will make the text bigger

Bowmangr wrote:

5} Maybe add the official scenario setup too? Not sure this is needed at all, I'm just writing some ideas for you to consider.

Why not, but I admit I never played the scenario. For later release.

I have a 6 players game planned this next weekend, and I will have my phone with me, so real practice case could also point improvements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitrik wrote:
Thank you for you feedback Vasilis, very useful.

No problem. meeple

Quote:
Bowmangr wrote:

No such issue on my phone. Which version of Android and which phone do you use ? So I can emulate it to reproduce.

I have Motorola Moto G 1st generation with Android 5.1

Quote:
Bowmangr wrote:

I agree, but it is more about where to display them. I need to think about it.

thumbsup

Quote:
Bowmangr wrote:

Working on it for next release

thumbsup

Quote:
Bowmangr wrote:

Ok, I will make the text bigger

Cool!

Quote:
Bowmangr wrote:

Why not, but I admit I never played the scenario. For later release.

I never play scenario mode too. I just mentioned it as a possible feature to implement if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you include the changes if you have the expansion? I never play without it as all the stuff is integrated into the player components.

Thanks!

After this you should do this for TI Too!! My only problem with these games is I NEVER can remember the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Can you include the changes if you have the expansion? I never play without it as all the stuff is integrated into the player components.

Actually the application considers base game + Brood war.
Like you, I always play with it, even with new players.

I could do an option to select/unselect the expansion, but it requires few hours of work, and not sure it deserves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitrik wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Actually the application considers base game + Brood war.
Like you, I always play with it, even with new players.

I could do an option to select/unselect the expansion, but it requires few hours of work, and not sure it deserves it.

Oh! For some reason I thought there was an extra step (and the pictures were of just the base game so I wasn't sure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

Oh! For some reason I thought there was an extra step (and the pictures were of just the base game so I wasn't sure).

You are right, it is not clearly states. I changed the app and the topic description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z3RO S4B3R
South Africa
Pietermaritzburg
Kwa-Zulu Natal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just downloaded the app and it looks great, definitely can be a helpful resource for when i get the game to the table, especially the set up help.

Just a suggestion. Would it be possible to add in a turn layout helper, like how you had the game set up, but for each step of a turn phase, and maybe the same thing for combat, I have printed out sheets that I use, but if everything is integrated in 1 app it will reduce table clutter.

Sort of based off these that are similar to what I currently use.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/116050/starcraft-board-ga...

Just a suggestion, take it or leave it. Thanks for the app and the work you have done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Update time !

New version has been posted, now featuring the leadership cards !
* All leadership cards listed for the 7 factions
* Dynamic Stage level filtering

Preview:

Still looking forward your feedbacks

The app is still here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=saturn.worksho...

smithalank wrote:

Just a suggestion. Would it be possible to add in a turn layout helper, like how you had the game set up, but for each step of a turn phase, and maybe the same thing for combat, I have printed out sheets that I use, but if everything is integrated in 1 app it will reduce table clutter.

I do not plan to do it for now, since many documents exist, as you linked.
But you get a point about the table space.
As I said, this weekend I have a huge 6 players game, and I plan to use the app for practice feedbacks. Then I will see what to do next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck. I can't wait to see what other features/tweaks you might make!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New feedback:

Bigger font is appreciated. Much better than before.

App still crashes when I double tap anywhere on the game setup assist screens which is not a big problem as I don't have to tap the screen and the 'previous'/'next' buttons work as intended. The only difference that I can see is that in the previous version the app crashed and closed but now when it crashes it throws me back in the main menu.

All new additions are useful.

Keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Miller
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for this! Have some geekgold for an avatar if you like!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a lawyer.

As some general advice, I'd have the app set up so it's easy to switch/strip the artwork - it's the one thing that you could get a legit Cease and Desist letter over, or have your app pulled.

Looks great, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So this last weekend I had 6 players game, and I, but also 2 of them, used the app.

We used:
thumbsup The setup Assistant
thumbsup Unit detailed view to plan which will be deployed
thumbsup Unit Att/Health overview values (more detailed than the unit sheet)

We missed:
thumbsdown A fast navigation menu (example: to move from Marine to Dragoon unit view, you need to: back,back,click,click)
thumbsdown Average value for units
thumbsdown A glossary
thumbsdown Battle and Regrouping sequences

Note we had sheets to get these 2 last information, but I wished I had everything at the same place.

ska_prince wrote:

Thanks for this! Have some geekgold for an avatar if you like!

Awesome ! Thank you ska_prince !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those changes sound awesome!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Q:
I really don't understand how knowing the average values instead of the real values can help anyone in a deterministic battle system. Can anyone help me here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmb
It's really just a statistic average to give you an idea of the relative power of the units. Useful to decide about your front-line unit.

In the printed player aid it's also useful because it uses up less space, but I guess it would be cool to have the full information on the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really, really, great, thanks a lot. I actually fantasized about something like this existing just yesterday, but didn't think it actually existed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
... ...
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an older post already but I'll still write something since I just downloaded your app.

Stellar STELLAR job!

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nikolas88 wrote:
It is an older post already but I'll still write something since I just downloaded your app.

Stellar STELLAR job!

Thank you!

Thank you for compliment laugh

I'm still around, but moved on other projects. So the app improvements are paused for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitrik wrote:
Nikolas88 wrote:

Stellar STELLAR job!

Thank you!

Thank you for compliment laugh

I'm still around, but moved on other projects. So the app improvements are paused for now.

This app is awesome. It's been a while since I had played but it is really in depth and informative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a g
msg tools
Is this out . Deff want to play it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Davis
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Very cool. I finally took the copy off the shelf we've had for 10 years and was learning the game this past weekend. I'll definitely give your app a shot. There are so many fiddly details in the game so it might be good to have this as a handy resource for the players at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.