Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: First time , Ancient one awaken rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Last
msg tools
mb
Hello,
1-Since each ancient one has 4 mystery cards & all you need to win is to solve 3 of them before it awaken , my question :
If the ancient one was awaken :

A-do I need to solve the one final mystery card at the back of the ancient beside the 3 mystery cards ?
or
B-do I need to solve the one final mystery card at the back of the ancient beside all the 4 mystery cards ?

2-When the reference guide says “Once the Ancient One awakens, the investigators must complete the Final Mystery on the back of the Ancient One sheet in addition to the other Mysteries” ,

When it says “ In addition to the other mysteries” , does that mean all the 4 mysteries cards or just 3 of them?

3-If the ancient one was awaken before I solve all the mystery cards , do I still need to solve all the mystery cards before I attempt to solve the final mystery card ? or can I solve the final mystery card on the ancient one sheet then continue solving the mystery cards ?

4-Even while the ancient one awaken , I still have to do the 3 phases of the game (action-encounter-mythos) … right?

5-Can I use (Shriveling) Spell card to reduce the health of the monster ( Ghost) although it doesn’t has strength test ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you solve three mysteries prior to the ancient one awakening, then you win. If it awakens before you solve three, you have to solve three and then the final mystery on the back of the ancient one card.

Unless it says specifically otherwise (and I don't think any do), you continue with the normal phases of the game. Action/Encounter/Mythos, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Last
msg tools
mb
Thank you very very much for quick reply .

Just one more thing if i may ask , why the need to have 4 mystery cards if i need to solve only 3 to win ?

what about my 5th question , can you help me with it ,it isn't related to the ancient one .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
james0007 wrote:
Thank you very very much for quick reply .

Just one more thing if i may ask , why the need to have 4 mystery cards if i need to solve only 3 to win ?

what about my 5th question , can you help me with it ,it isn't related to the ancient one .

4 mysteries so that when you replay the game with the same ancient one, you might have a different challenge/setup. Basically increase replayability.

For #5, yes you can. IIRC Shriveling is an action. So you use it outside of combat and you just do 2 damage flat out.

The different horror/strength test only take place during combat which happens in the encounter phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Last
msg tools
mb
Thank you alot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slattery
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, note that there are four mystery cards per Ancient One in the base game, but new Ancient Ones come with six mysteries as the standard, and if you purchase the Forsaken Lore expansion, you will get a new Ancient One (Yig) plus 2 mysteries each for the four Ancient Ones from the base set, bringing those up to the now-standard six mysteries per Ancient One.

As mentioned above, this is to increase replayability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forget about the fact that there were just 4 mysteries per GOO in the base game. Even with the just four I felt that it created enough variety as I played the heck out of the base game, but I do think that 6 is essential now.

I would love to see it even increase actually... make an expansion that just makes the current roster of ancient ones that much more unique.... Would be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.