Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on a new LCG concept, and I have three of the six factions in the base game near fleshed out, but I wanted to ask something of you all.

In the game, players choose seven regions to form their region pile. I have the rules for claiming regions set, but which idea sounds better?

1. The players shuffle their 7 regions into a common pile, from where two are drawn each turn for the players to claim.
2. Each player has their own region deck, like the Thrones plot deck, and chooses one that only they can claim each turn.

I'm leaning toward the first one.

(And just to spoil a little bit, it is set in the Small World universe by Days of Wonder. My brother has been working on the backstory, which is all new, but uses the small World geography and races, as well as general strategies. For those of you who don't know Small World:
https://www.daysofwonder.com/smallworld/en/ )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
By Thrones do you mean from Game of Thrones or a deck in your game? If the former, it seems odd for you to reference another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
I've been working on a new LCG concept, and I have three of the six factions in the base game near fleshed out, but I wanted to ask something of you all.

In the game, players choose seven regions to form their region pile. I have the rules for claiming regions set, but which idea sounds better?

1. The players shuffle their 7 regions into a common pile, from where two are drawn each turn for the players to claim.
2. Each player has their own region deck, like the Thrones plot deck, and chooses one that only they can claim each turn.

(And just to spoil a little bit, it is set in the Small World universe by Days of Wonder. My brother has been working on the backstory, which is all new, but uses the small World geography and races, as well as general strategies. For those of you who don't know Small World:

I have a nagging suspicion that Small World theme won't be carried going forward. Are you looking to publish or are you just doing this for fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially if it's like other LCGs in that each player is bringing their own cards, option #1 seems fiddly, because it requires that you can keep track of which card is whose. Plus it makes the pacing of the game very random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I just make a completely unrelated suggestion? Please avoid the FFG model of forcing fans to buy multiple core sets to be competitive or do any meaningful deckbuilding. It is highly annoying, very expensive, and is sure to scare a lot of potential costumers away. I have always felt that a core set of an LCG should include a complete playset of all cards, so that if, say three of a card are allowed in a deck, the core set should feature three of each card.

Another thing that would improve upon the FFG model, would be a less frantic release schedule, where perhaps a few expansions are released every year, as opposed to an expansion every month, which is exhausting, quickly raises the barrier of entry to untenable levels, and again keeps costumers away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a fun idea, and the "each player plays their own" model is good for the mixed sets problem.

I'd also urge you to make the base game a complete experience. Leave space open for your ECG, but don't start there.

Also, I'd move away from SmallWorld right away if you have any plans to do this as more than a free PNP. Building on someone else's IP just means more work later as you transition away from it. Unless you have a contract with Days of Wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sag0016 wrote:
Toenail21 wrote:

I have a nagging suspicion that Small World theme won't be carried going forward. Are you looking to publish or are you just doing this for fun?

Mostly for fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
Can I just make a completely unrelated suggestion? Please avoid the FFG model of forcing fans to buy multiple core sets to be competitive or do any meaningful deckbuilding. It is highly annoying, very expensive, and is sure to scare a lot of potential costumers away. I have always felt that a core set of an LCG should include a complete playset of all cards, so that if, say three of a card are allowed in a deck, the core set should feature three of each card.

Another thing that would improve upon the FFG model, would be a less frantic release schedule, where perhaps a few expansions are released every year, as opposed to an expansion every month, which is exhausting, quickly raises the barrier of entry to untenable levels, and again keeps costumers away.

Yeah, I agree totally with that. I hate the multiple core thing. I only bought one Netrunner core, so if I ever went to tournaments, I wouldn't do well, except maybe with a Foodcoats deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it has gone so far away from Small World that I am basically just using that until I can come up with a better name. Still working on that. And yes, the multiple core thing is pretty stupid.

Just to tell yall a little about it, here are the six factions:

Humans (Kind of a slow farming people that are difficult to budge. They only really have a militia, and a few troops controlled by the Draqlords (the ruling class), which is reflected by many of the units being conscripts.

Amazons: Their backstory is too long to get into here, but just imagine butt-kicking women with a few strange, genderless mystics and you got it.

Dwarves: Pretty Standard.

Trolls: The comic relief. Really funny, part of which is due to their very unreleastic powers of regeneration. They are also masters of these funny animals called Indifrongs, which these crazy weird wolves that breath fire and have a mace for a tail.

Orcs: Also a very long backstory, but they are basically creatures of fire cloaked in flesh, who live in a volcano-ridden desert. Very different from traditional Orcs.

Elves: Quarrelsome, unhelpful, and difficult to work with. Not at all the wise elves of Lord of the Rings.

Future races (outside of the core)

Wizards
Necromancers Horde
Wild Demon creatures I haven't named.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole multiple core thing has a sole purpose - to allow new players to be able to play with minimal fidgeting. Can you imagine if the core's instructions were "to build the NBN starter deck, here's the deck list: find the cards from all the 3x of everything and put them together" instead of "take ALL NBN cards and ALL neutral cards and smash them together"?

Also doing 3x everything means the core would rise in cost.

Or they could have made core decks with 3x everything, which means the cardpool would probably be about half its original size. Which would suck more.

So... Try to understand why things are the way they are, it helps you understand why games are designed the way they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Mezzotero
msg tools
designer
badge
Running on last click.
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I'll try to avoid shuffling together cards owned by different players unless it's the central mechanics of the game. Problems from remembering who owns a particular cards, different sleeves, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
moonwalkr wrote:
In general, I'll try to avoid shuffling together cards owned by different players unless it's the central mechanics of the game. Problems from remembering who owns a particular cards, different sleeves, etc.

Damaging someone else's expensive card or having it go missing could start some serious issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.