Pub Battles: Brandywine» Forums » General

Subject: Measuring distances rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Strand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The game moves so quick and the moves are rarely maximum range that we found only a very few situations that we even bothered with measuring the move.

There were also a lot of instances where "that move looks good." We weren't going to deny a unit the ability to claim the hill because it was a quarter inch short or so. we just kind of eyed it up and called it good enough.

When your playing with this beautiful map that isn't "adjusted" to fit the rules requirements, it just make sense that you're not going to quibble over hair breadths.

If you are the kind of person who demands that degree of precision perhaps you'd be better off staying to hex maps. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We took the opposite approach for the most part. We measured carefully. Several times a unit was unable to come into contact with the enemy by less than a quarter of an inch. No attack! We had a unit sitting just short of the hill top - so it was not on the hill! We figured it was a slippery slope. If that little bit is ignored, then how about a little more? Some flexibility was required at times, and that was easily done between two reasonable players. But overall we tried to be careful and exact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To each his own. I get your preference. But for our game, speed was important and we more interested in seeing how certain what-ifs played out. It definitely plays faster, and I don't think Washington or Howe sat in their tents and agonized over fractions of an inch.

But I get the feeling that if we're gonna play like that, why don't we just pretend they all carry rings of teleportation for F&*^ sake!

FWIW, in the future, once we have a solid set of rules and are more experienced with the game, we probably will tighten up our measurements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marsbarr wrote:
That is a good point on measuring. It may sound complicated and tedious at first to measure out all your moves. We were concerned about that at first. After we play tested it, we realized it rarely comes up.

Most of the time, you know where you want to move. You know it is easily in range, so you just move it. After awhile you will start to get an eye for it. You can just look at the board and say, "Well, a facing change, woods, a hill, so I should end up about here." If you actually measure it out, you will be pretty darn close! Amazing.

So, I guess we usually do a little both. Most of the time we just know and move. If it is critical, like being able to get far enough to make full contact, then we measure it. -And we do count it to Mark's precision. That is the max extent of their move. You could imagine stragglers and units falling behind not able to actually get there with the piece. If you are a little short, then you're not going to be able to make a concerted attack. There is always next turn.

That said, we do prefer a gentlemanly game. It's more about the experience. Getting together with friends. Emersion in the period. Puzzling over some interesting military strategy conundrums. Imagining some leadership and C&C problems. Not so much a competitive contest with money at stake or something.

As for measuring, I really like the custom measuring sticks...it's hard for me to tell on your KS page...as a stretch goal, how close are the measuring sticks to becoming unlocked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.