United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely adore this game, but I can't stand all the chit clutter that can accumulate on the battlefield! It's hard to see where my heroes are at times and not particularly easy to see what everyone's HP and status effects are, without a slow and careful study of the battle area. I have poker chips that I use as currency in other games and decided to use them as an alternative to the HP, shield, expose, and heroism markers in the game.

Here's a before and after:

Red = HP
Blue = Shields
Green = Armor
Purple = Expose
White = Heroism

By replacing HP with red poker chips, it's much easier to see the current health of players and enemies with a cursory glance. Identifying targets of opportunity is also easier since wounded enemies have visibly smaller HP stacks and/or sit on large stacks of Expose. Expose poker chips (purple) are resolved by drawing random expose chits from a drawstring bag or cup. The green poker chips are a visual reminder of a boss' armor, and useful for damage calculation without having to refer back to the encounter card. The really nice unexpected bonus is I now use the Yellow back-face of the enemy markers to identify enemies that have been activated. This is super useful since tracking enemy activation by memory was a chore.

The Red Poker chips have a "Heads/Tails" side so I can keep track of broken HP (if any) during a battle. For example, a hero enters battle with 5 HP with all poker chips on the "Heads" side. When healing, I would add red chips on the "Tails" side to designate as broken HP. It's also a nice and easy way to mark hidden/randomized attributes on certain enemies (i.e. exploding tomato vs regular tomato).

If you want to pick up a set of these poker chips, I purchased my set on Amazon for $16. NOTE: These are plastic chips, NOT ceramic. All my ceramic poker chip sets are too large for this game anyway, so these work much better since they are nearly the exact size of the round tokens.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4XH9MG?psc=1&redirect=t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the picture you posted first and didn't get it. With the explanation: genius!

And coincidently, I just got a load of poker chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really cool idea! Would help this game take up even less space on the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea!
I have a cheap 100 piece plastic set in 3 colors.
Think I'll use them.
Shields, armor and expose.
Thanks for the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea! Looks like it works really well.

What I realised seeing your first photo: We never keep the heroes' expose, heroism, health, and shields on their battlefield tokens, but next to or on our hero cards. We still put all the chits on the opponents, but at least our hero tokens are way easier to manipulate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I had originally done that too! But I found myself cheating unintentionally by forgetting to remove heroism/shield markers at the end of round.

This was mostly due to the fact I was trying (and failing) to perform all the upkeep on 4 heroes. I've since limited my solo games to 2 heroes and that's made all the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lez Andrew
United Kingdom
Newport
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved the idea but was having trouble picking up that specific Poker Chip set here in the UK. After a bit of research to find the correct chip size I ended up finding a cheap set (only cost me £5) on eBay with just enough colours in the right distribution.

Note that these chips are 39mm in diameter and I believe they are known as dice/suited (http://www.homepokergames.com/types-of-poker-chips.php). The nice thing about this set is the plastic trays that the chips come in sit nicely below the original Doomrock insert:

So that gave me:

Red = HP
Orange = Shields
Green = Armour
Dark Blue = Expose
White = Heroism

To differentiate between the normal/broken HP my orignal plan was to find some circular self adhesive label paper and print different inserts for the centre of the chips. Unfortunately I could never find stickers with just the right diameter. I then stumbled upon http://www.boardgamesmaker.com/ which do just what I was after (http://www.boardgamesmaker.com/print/custom-stickers-26mm.ht...). After a bit of time with Photoshop to create the images for the stickers, these are the results:

Really happy with the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using poker chips also. They work as a excellent reminder for the armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.