Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and Matthew did a playthrough of about three and a quarter turns of Invasion Norway at TotalCon on Friday. It is a heavy game with an almost OSC like feel, supply points have to be tracked and manually moved across the map, also there are two types of separate supply types (ground and air).

The game started rather ominously as Matthew was able to sink most of my pre invasion merchant marine and tanker units, however one tanker with aviation fuel made it to Trondheim, so all was not lost. Then as the invasion fleet left its bases in Germany the weather turned to a major storm! The rough seas helped in keeping my ships undetected, however it also grounded my air force for most of map, except for the Oslo sector (where weather was only marginal). By the end of the invasion turn I managed to grab Oslo and its surrounding airbases, however one shore battery remained operational and in Allied hands as wave after wave of my paratroop units crashed into the fjords; definitely a dark day for the German parachute arm. My Narvik invasion force was still crawling up the coast by the end of the turn, and in the south Sola airbase remained unconquered since I couldn't fly any units in. Finally we started the first post invasion turn, the weather cleared in the central sector, which prompted me to try air and naval interceptions of Allied warships close to the coast. However, after 7-hours of brain-heavy gaming we had to make way for the Carcassone tournaments. Me and Matthew noted the locations of our units and hopefully we'll continue at a later date.

Overall this game is a blast, but it's also a major commitment, both in time and brainpower!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prawn King
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice little report thanks!
Its good to see this older game getting some air time. I used to live close by Sola airbase and have played the game quite a few times.

You are correct about the brain power! That said, there is little more satisfying than planning and successfully executing a real combined arms operation on land, sea and in the air. This is the only non-Pacific game where both sides can do that.

There is also a lot of tension for both sides as they have to base strategy on isolated groups of units holding out until supply arrives. Extreme weather and terrain also need to be reckoned with.

It will soon be April again so I just might get this out for an anniversary spin!

Best regards,
Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
I own the game. Enjoyed set up and studied the rules, but not played it.
No doubt it is great game, with the small but important places in Norway in 1940.

Egersund was important due to telegraph cable to England. High priority early target, not mentioned in the rules, but the small town Egersund is there.

King`s Guard (a unit). Did not move along with the King -and really does not deserve own unit. The King and the Government (prime Minister and a few other ministers) escaped as civilians. Sinking Blucher gave them time to escape.

What is missing is the escape of gold reserves from Central Bank in Oslo. Almost identical to the Government's escape. It was loaded on trucks and transported to Sweden. Worth a few German VP?

I am not sure if the important delaying tactics is implemented. Too small groups for this scale? German troops was heavily delayed by roadblocks (Trees, rocks and blown bridges). When a forward patrol encountered a roadblock, they were attacked by Norwegian troops, and sniped when clearing the block. When the heavier German units finally arrived the Norwegians retreated and build a new roadblock around next bend. And the skirmish repeated again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.