Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From this week's update, Isaac was asking for thoughts on the scenario books design and layout. As he requested, please do not post editing comments here.

1. In reviewing the layout, one thing that bugs me personally is that all of the text including checkpoints (numbered doors) and the conclusion is before the maps. My preference would be a layout where at least the conclusion is at the end of each scenario. I found myself noticing flavor text and story points as I was switching between the introduction and the map.

2. When looking at a multilevel map, such as scenario 1, am I missing the icon for the stair location? Or are we supposed to assume we find the way down to level 2 by nature of finishing the first level goals?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ghost604 wrote:
As he requested, please do not post editing comments here.

You say not to write suggestions here, and just below you make suggestions!??? LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, no - he asked that we not edit the text itself. He did want comments on layout, overall design and ease of use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost604 wrote:
1. In reviewing the layout, one thing that bugs me personally is that all of the text including checkpoints (numbered doors) and the conclusion is before the maps. My preference would be a layout where at least the conclusion is at the end of each scenario. I found myself noticing flavor text and story points as I was switching between the introduction and the map.

I understand your point here. A lot of non-ideal stuff is done in an attempt to save space. The blue lines are there to signify when you should stop reading, though I get that the eye can naturally gravitate towards text even with that in mind.

ghost604 wrote:
2. When looking at a multilevel map, such as scenario 1, am I missing the icon for the stair location? Or are we supposed to assume we find the way down to level 2 by nature of finishing the first level goals

Each scenario is self-contained, so yeah, you're not going through the entire place room-by-room and actually descending stair cases and whatnot. You're just doing the important, enemy-filled parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
What about using choose-your-own-adventure style things, for those really keen to not see what happens on win/loss?

E.g. on win, gain reward 57

Later in the book, a section "rewards" and reward 57 says:

open quest 6,7
get item XYZ
open envelope entitled 'doom'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried a 2 column layout for text? That might give more flexibility for arranging frames on the page. None of this a deal breaker, just my thoughts.

I like the idea of win results in a separate section, but I could see that making the booklet too long. Lol, we need 3d spy glasses for the win sections.

Cheers and thanks for letting us be a part of the game, it is looking great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the same space, is it feasible to write it upside down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny S√łndergaard
Denmark
Kgs. Lyngby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorlin wrote:
Using the same space, is it feasible to write it upside down?

I think this is a clever idea. Doesn't solve the problem, but it definately mitigates it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's not too late, I'd like to offer a thought or two on the rule book layout.

So far it looks very nice and professionally laid out. The main thing I've noticed that gives me pause is the layout for a graphic that has multiple points referenced by accompanying text. In these cases, letters are assigned to the various features and then referenced by the text. However the letter of the feature is often buried in the text and may make it more difficult to use this as a quick reference.

Perhaps the letter emblems could be used as bullets at the beginning of the statement describing the feature reference. This may not always work, as in some cases a single statement describes multiple features from the image.

That said, I'm super excited about this game. The graphics are fantastic and the game play and mechanics superb. I especially like the hand-of-cards mechanic that provides a depth of strategic planning that is unusual for this type of game.

Final thought: nothing spoils an impression of a game more than poor grammar and spelling in the rulebook or on card text. I haven't found anything yet that stands out, but please take extra care with this aspect of the game. Unfortunately it's something that only stands out in the negative. Nobody ever comments about NOT finding typos in a game. A little extra proofreading goes a long way. Your fans will thank you.

(I'm sure having pointed this out, someone will find a typo in my remarks. sigh.) whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.