Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
95 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Modern Classics: Which post-2010 release will be widely respected in say 2025 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
X YZ
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to pick sides, I'd say I'm more of a "Cult of the Old" type of gamer. And that's mainly because I'm the kind of gamer who doesn't invest in games until they've proved their staying power. Their "legacy", if you will. I don't often jump on the hotness train until enough people I trust tell me: "you've GOT to play this!"

Having said that, I'm curious to learn about more recent games and their long-term potential. What are some "Cult of the New" games (let's say 2010 and newer releases only) that, in the year 2025, will be remembered as being ground breaking, seminal, important or just incredibly fun?

For a frame of reference, what will be the El Grandes, Power Grids, Pandemics, Dominions, Puerto Ricos, Arkham Horrors, Nexus Ops, Hives or Twilight Struggles of the future (but not limited to just those games)?

Edit:
I added some clarification here:
Re: Modern Classics: Which post-2010 release will be widely respected in say 2025
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Modern Classics: Which post-2010 release will be widely respected in say *mirror* 2025
whistle Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I feel like Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar is a pretty solid bet. The complexity/gimmicky aspect of the cog-wheels might turn away some, but after you get past that, I feel like there's a good, solid game there.

I also think Love Letter has some staying power. Unending rethemes aside, the basic gameplay is well-rounded and entertaining, for its time slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

... which is MMP 2007 (But I agree with you, at least for the grogs, I know!)

And I'd relaunch with (2010+):

- The US Civil War (2015) for merging (almost...) the old VG's TCW with Herman's FTP (...but those leaders with a clocked death, uhm...)

- Twilight Struggle (Italian deluxe was 2011) because you know, it's the most non-wargame played as a wargame by non-wargamers around (if that makes sense!)

- Fire in the Lake (2014) because all we love the smell of napalm in the morning

- Empire of the Sun 2nd (2015) because it's the PTO, period

- Paths of Glory 4th (2010) because it showed that yes, a playable WW1 can be done

Off the top of my head...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eckswyezed wrote:
If I had to pick sides, I'd say I'm more of a "Cult of the Old" type of gamer. And that's mainly because I'm the kind of gamer who doesn't invest in games until they've proved their staying power. Their "legacy", if you will. I don't often jump on the hotness train until enough people I trust tell me: "you've GOT to play this!"

Having said that, I'm curious to learn about more recent games and their long-term potential. What are some "Cult of the New" games (let's say 2010 and newer releases only) that, in the year 2025, will be remembered as being ground breaking, seminal, important or just incredibly fun?

For a frame of reference, what will be the El Grandes, Power Grids, Pandemics, Dominions, Puerto Ricos, Arkham Horrors, Nexus Ops, Hives or Twilight Struggles of the future (but not limited to just those games)?

Heopefully we never see a Nexus Ops again!

Through the Ages might. It is easy enough to make fan made cards to keep it fresh, and it has the gameplay to warrant consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panayiotis Zois
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the time limit you have set I'd have to agree about:

Terra Mystica
Tzolk'in

and I would also say:

Troyes
Orleans
Trajan
Lewis & Clark
La Granja
7 Wonders
Snowdonia
Polis: Fight for the Hegemony
Baseball Highlights 2045
Keyflower
Targi
Patchwork
7 Wonders: Duel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower seems very likely, but I would like it to be Dominant Species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore (Second Edition)
Trajan
Blood Rage
Cyclades (i would also add but it just misses out at 2009)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Mabuchi wrote:

Heopefully we never see a Nexus Ops again!

Through the Ages might. It is easy enough to make fan made cards to keep it fresh, and it has the gameplay to warrant consideration.
wow ~"1,2GIGAOPSUS NEXT!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oli Jeffery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Love Letter - I don't think I've come across a game as mechanically perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These things are always hard to predict, but I'd put a little money on Hanabi having legs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmb
I think due to their accessibility, innovation, and popularity these games will still be well respected:

T.I.M.E Stories

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Mysterium

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game

Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These will still be popular, and the standards against which new games 10 years from now will be judged.

Mage Knight Board Game 2011
I think is really a modern classic.

Eclipse 2011
I don't think is going anywhere.

Love Letter 2012
I agree with the above. Nearly a perfect game. Works with gamers and non-gamers alike.

There are others that I think will stand the test of time for ME, but I don't know how widespread they will be in 10 years.

The Ares Project
Great 2 player game with enormous replayability.

Galaxy Defenders
Wonderful Campaign Solo/Co-op

Spyrium
Innovative worker placement by the creator of Caylus. Can't go wrong here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X YZ
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythologem wrote:
GROGnads wrote:

- The US Civil War (2015) for merging (almost...) the old VG's TCW with Herman's FTP (...but those leaders with a clocked death, uhm...)

- Twilight Struggle (Italian deluxe was 2011) because you know, it's the most non-wargame played as a wargame by non-wargamers around (if that makes sense!)

- Fire in the Lake (2014) because all we love the smell of napalm in the morning

- Paths of Glory 4th (2010) because it showed that yes, a playable WW1 can be done

3/5 of these are reprints. Surely there have been other war games of note in recent years. C'mon Grogs I know you can do better! (Plus I genuinely want to hear about modern classic war games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
lastcastlegames wrote:
Love Letter - I don't think I've come across a game as mechanically perfect.

I don't think you've come across man games then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eckswyezed wrote:
Mythologem wrote:
GROGnads wrote:

3/5 of these are reprints. Surely there have been other war games of note in recent years. C'mon Grogs I know you can do better! (Plus I genuinely want to hear about modern classic war games)

1) If they reprinted it, there's a good chance that's because it's a good game; I think Twilight Struggle is still GMT's best seller with ~70,000 copies and counting (normal print is ~1/10th lower), and for many people the one and only "wargame" (?!) ever. Not including TS in the list of classics because the original (non-deluxe mind you!) was 2005 is a stretch to me... and that lead us to the point #2:

2) For wargames a reprint doesn't usually mean "more of the same": there could be a mounted map (instead of the original paper), sturdy brown-core chits, revised rules and/or cards (for a CDG): Wilderness War 1st ed. had a simple rules core with many optional rules, then later ed. incorporated all the optionals into core; WW2:Barbarossa to Berlin changed a lot between 1st (mediocre) and 2nd (nice), tweaking rules and cards; Empire of the Sun changed way a lot, with many many improvements even in vital areas like victory conditions.

So the classic is the refined, stable & "matured" product imho.

(And see, for example, I believe For the People 2015 ed. is still the same as the 2006 ed. so I've not included it for that reason... or A House Divided 2012 ed. is somewhat worse than 2001 ed. and so on).

3) Wargames don't come cheap. The "masterpiece" seal (and see how personal it is) must stand the test of time.
Unconditional Surrender! (2014) to me is plain genious, numberless counters, but a classic? We have a plethora of ETOs...
Waterloo 1815 Fallen Eagles (2015) is really good, but a classic? That would be Napoleon's Last Battles campaign for my taste... which is 1995.
We don't have many age of sail games and Flying Colors (2010 2nd) does fleet actions quite interestingly, but a classic? I've heard they even dropped Manpower damage lately... the true classic is still Wooden Ships & Iron Men for many reasons... which is 1981.

I think you got my point.

(Obviously point #4 is that maybe there are other great titles out there that I'm not aware of, or that I don't remember now...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Terra Mystica will be. I don't see the "classic" in it, there's just too much stuff jammed into the box. I slag it off daily becuase of that, but won't deny it's popular now. Amongst other games though, I think this will cause it to fade.

Caverna should be. Lots in the box, but in a consistent mechanical direction

Pandemic
Eclipse
Robinson Crusoe

Patchwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Love Letter

...and by 2025 you'll have fifty rethemes to pick from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X YZ
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Pandemic
Eclipse
Robinson Crusoe

Patchwork?

Pandemic is 2008, friend. Everything else checks out. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X YZ
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
In [article=21599500]this followup[/article] you can see my list of "cult of the Old", games, with Risk at the top, for obvious staying power through new editions and reimplementations, like Risk Legacy.
So the answer to the original post are games that are prone to new editions and reimplementations, but still recognizable. I think Terra Mystica is obvious, furthermore any top rated game from publishing year 2012 since many games are highly rated, more so than the years around it. 2014 is the new king of publishing year, though.
Cato the Elder wrote:
Moreover, I consider that Fakirs should be buffed and Darklings nerfed.

Fantastic analysis on that other thread, Henrik. Thanks for sharing.

My question is a little more "speculative". Based on your experience of the games that you've played, which ones would be well-remembered in future. You may be spot on about the 2012 and 2014 releases, but I'd love to see names named.

In other words, there is no "right" answer and you cannot use data to back your answer up - because that data won't exist until 2025.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Robinson Crusoe
+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower and Concordia, which I'm honestly surprised hasn't been mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ragaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling that Love Letter (and the inevitable re-themes) will have replaced Uno as a quick go-to filler for a lot of casual gamers. Most non-gamers are just starting to hear about it, but in about 10 years, it's gonna be all over the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my thoughts:

It's a gamer's market. That means it's going to be increasingly difficult for games to have the kind of staying power you describe. Part of the problem is that the market is saturated, and publishers are still really small. So, even if a game has already begun to prove its popularity, There isn't the same sense of calm that I can find a certain game in a few years time.

Even games like Troyes, Carson City -- both highly-regarded -- were out of print for a long time. And then, when they do come back into print, it's for a one-off "big box" Kicksarter limited edition version, or something like that. People who want the game are going to get it. But for the rest of us who didn't, we'll never know because it won't be available to purchase once we discover it.

There used to be fewer games being put out in previous years. If you ask me, the reason why classic games are "classic", it's not only because they were mechanically sound and good, fun games, but also because the proverbial pond size was a lot smaller.

Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some people need a bit of a reality check. Most of the games mentioned thus far are much too niche to be widely discussed in 2025. Most of these titles will be near or completely forgotten by then.

Tzolk'in, Snowdonia, Targi, Orleans, La Granja, Pollis, Patchwork, Cyclades, Trajan, Mysterium, Spyrium, Robinson Crusoe, Eclipse, etc. NONE of these will have wide appeal in 2025. There may be a few people here and there still playing them, and some of these are good games. But none of these had wide enough appeal to last that long. It was much easier for titles 10, 15, or 20 years ago to grow those types of legs because there wasn't as many titles to choose from. Now, there are just too many titles being printed. And publishers are not willing to give any of them the attention that is required to generate staying power.

The only games that might still be around are easy to teach games that will fit a very broad audience. Linko! is an example. Games like Sushi Go also have a chance because you can find titles in popular department stores and people are buying them there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.