Subject: Movement Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I have navigated the walkthrough and am about to start the first scenario in the module. Before I get too carried away I just want to check if my understanding of the movement rules are correct. In the photo below I am starting out in hex J8. I have elected to use DT which gives me 6 MPs. If I read the TM table correctly it costs 4 to cross the bocage into J7 and then another 2 to move through the field into J6 where I stop. Is that right?

With only 7 turns on this scenario I guess it's all about speed to the objective without getting spotted. I like how the scenario rules define random movement for the German side. Makes it easier when playing solo rather than having me chase myself around the map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following on from that question, the scenario says that night rules are in effect which means if I stay at least 2 hexes away from the German units I won't have to worry about getting into combat and can just stroll to the objective and hope they patrol in the other direction. In my photo below my units plan on heading up into the wheat field as the Germans are heading straight down (unless the next dice roll changes their direction)The units on the right are just going to stay 2 hexes behind the Germans in front, unless of course they turn around!!

Given the American units aren't meant to know where the German patrols are, how do you play tactical games like this, either solo or with another opponent, when it is obvious you can see them and just try and avoid them as you make your way to the objective?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrew!
Bocage (like wall,, hedge and stream) is a HEXSIDE terrain feature so its cost is to CROSS it. This must be added to the hex you are going to enter. So, in your example, the cost to enter J7 from J8 is 6 MPs: +4 to cross the Bocage and 2 to enter the wheat field in J7, where you have to stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I've understood your next tactical question but in every war game you as the player know things that your units could not know. That's why games have LOS, concealment, hidden, blind rules or the elegant LnL Spotting rule. Your units can't pretend to not know where enemies are as you can't. Just play at your best, also taking advantage of what you (the player) know just as your opponent does, trying to stay out of LOS if you won't engage the battle or shortening the distance if you are on the fighting side!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Boutilier
United States
Smyrna Mills
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,
it sounds like you are at the same place I am in learning the game. Would you like to try a PBEM game using vassal. We can help each other learn. Herb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ruben. I was playing it wrong then.

Qwirz wrote:
Hi Andrew!
Bocage (like wall,, hedge and stream) is a HEXSIDE terrain feature so its cost is to CROSS it. This must be added to the hex you are going to enter. So, in your example, the cost to enter J7 from J8 is 6 MPs: +4 to cross the Bocage and 2 to enter the wheat field in J7, where you have to stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be happy to give it a bash Herb but while I have loaded up Vassal and had a look, I really have no idea how it works for PBEM

hbmaine wrote:
Andrew,
it sounds like you are at the same place I am in learning the game. Would you like to try a PBEM game using vassal. We can help each other learn. Herb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Boutilier
United States
Smyrna Mills
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew, I'll help you along with using vassal for PBEM. before you know it you'll be playing a dozen games at once! :-) I'll email you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That will be interesting to see as I have enough trouble playing myself!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.