Popular Tags: [View All]
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Marshall Plan:

If I don't have 7 non-ussr controlled countries in western europe, can I put all 7 tokens on one country? Or do I have to at least put 1 in each non-ussr controlled and then I can spend the rest for increasing some other countries?

US/Japan Mutual Defense Pact
This one has an asterisk and is underlined. So when do I remove this card entirely from the play? If I play this as an US-Player and as an event, it gets removed immediately?
If the USSR-Player plays it as an operation, it stays forever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weis
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Marshall Plan
You're only allowed to add one influence per country. If there are less than 7 non-USSR controlled countries in Western Europe, then the extra influence is ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Hi

US/Japan Mutual Defense Pact
This one has an asterisk and is underlined. So when do I remove this card entirely from the play? If I play this as an US-Player and as an event, it gets removed immediately?
If the USSR-Player plays it as an operation, it stays forever?

As with ANY underlined card, if the event triggers, the card is removed.

As a US event, when played, the US player MAY trigger this event and the USSR player MUST trigger the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still doesn't understand the US/Japan card.

I can't choose if the event happens or not according to the rules. As US event I get as much as influence as needed to gain control of Japan. But then I have to discard it, so the text that the USSR is not allowed to do coup or roll the dice for Japan is not longer valid. As soon as I play the card as US player and gain control I have to remove the card from play. Or does the marker stay in the game forever? Then it makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Japan..." is a permanent, underlined event. Often, as US you are better off playing the card for its operations and hoping it will end up in the hand of USSR later. However, whoever triggers it, the card is immediately removed from play, but its effect lasts until the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:

I can't choose if the event happens or not according to the rules. As US event I get as much as influence as needed to gain control of Japan. But then I have to discard it, so the text that the USSR is not allowed to do coup or roll the dice for Japan is not longer valid. As soon as I play the card as US player and gain control I have to remove the card from play. Or does the marker stay in the game forever? Then it makes sense.

You seem to be confused.

When you play your or neutral card, you get the choice: Trigger event or use ops. When you play opposing-faction card, you don't get this choice; you must use it for ops, and the event is triggered (and you can decide when: before your ops or after).

Stars and underlines on a card work only if the event is triggered*. The star without underline means that the card goes out of the game after event, and star with underline means that the card goes out of the deck but has a permanent effect: most people leave the card on the table as reminder, some people use tokens**. Pact is a starred underlined card.

Therefore, as US you choose:
- Trigger event. Then you add enough influence to Japan for control, leave this card on the table (or use the token). The card won't get reshuffled. (This is usually a bad choice, because you only get 3 influence worth out of 4 ops card. But if a careless USSR player used The China Card to get 5 influence to Japan, and you draw Pact, then this choice gets tastier.)

- Use 4 ops (influence, coup, realignment rolls, space race). This card is discarded and will be reshuffled. It won't have any permanent effect.

Were you the USSR, on the other hand, you would choose:
- Send it to space race: then it's discarded and event won't get triggered
- Use it for ops in other ways (influence, coup, realignment rolls). The event will be triggered and resolved, US will get control of Japan, and this card will remain on the table.

Hope this helps. The framework for playing cards is simple, but it's hard to understand it from reading the rules. I should start a blog where I rewrite the rulebooks to popular games like I tell their rules to friends.

* and resolved, but that's irrelevant here
** there is one underlined card without a star. It has a lasting effect; when that effect is finished the card returns to the discard to be reshuffled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:

Yes, the Marker stays in the game.

I think you are confused by the fact that the card is removed from the game, yet has an ongoing effect. You are under the misconception that once a card is removed, it cannot have an effect anymore, but this is incorrect.

When an event has an ongoing effect, you use one of the supplied tokens to mark that the effect has been triggered. What happens next with the card itself is irrevalent; the token is all that matters to show that an event has occurred. If a card does not have an asterisk, it will go into the discard pile and can be dealt to players again, but if it is underlined, it is removed from the deck so that it cannot be drawn anymore. The event text still lingers, and you still have to abide by all ongoing effects from the event; the removal is only there so that the same event cannot happen twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I hope I got it now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoring Cards:
Asian Scoring has a "+1 for every country you controll adjacent to enemy superpower"

Do I get the +1's even if I don't have Presence in Asia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to control one country adjacent to enemy superpower in order to get the forementionned +1.
That is Japan for the USSR or, as the US, N. Korea or Afghanistan.
Holding any of these countries gives you at least presence in Asia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Scoring Cards:
Asian Scoring has a "+1 for every country you controll adjacent to enemy superpower"

Do I get the +1's even if I don't have Presence in Asia?

This is +1 for controlled country in Asia adjacent to the enemy superpower. If you have such a country, by definition you also have presence in Asia.

The same applies with Europe and Central America scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.