6 Posts

Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » Rules

Subject: three questions about movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
All of the questions below pertain should be understood in terms of movement on the *same* night where applicable.

1) Do either the police or Jack *have* to move on their turn?

2) Can either Jack or the police revisit a place the have been on the same turn? i.e. can a police man move one black space forward and then back to where they started? Can Jack use the carriage to move one space and then return to where he started?

3) Can Jack return to a place where a clue token has been placed on the same night?

I read somewhere about Jack doubling back - but I am trying to understand how to do that within the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Nowak
Poland
Wałcz
flag msg tools
1) Jack have to move (if he can`t - he is busted), police may (or may not) move.

2) Police can move like that (but what for?). Jack can`t use carriage like that.

3) Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks,

Re: #2. Because you may want to re-investigate the same place twice in a row and that police marker might be the only one who can reach it. I.e. if you think Jack is doubling back, you might want to investigate the same places twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:
Thanks,

Re: #2. Because you may want to re-investigate the same place twice in a row and that police marker might be the only one who can reach it. I.e. if you think Jack is doubling back, you might want to investigate the same places twice.

Wait, reading your response I'm getting confused about what you're asking exactly. Do you mean on the same night or the same turn? Remember, Jack only moves once per turn, so if you've checked a space that turn already, there is no need to check it again on that turn (which is why Pawel asked why you would want to do that). In addition, a single policeman pawn is unable to move, look for clues, then move again in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Sorry for the confusion.

I tried to avoid that with my first sentence in my first post.

All questions pertain to any turns taking place withing the same night.

If an officer does not have to move - then that answers my question. My thinking was that you might want to have a single officer as a blocker, who is going to stay put and investigate the same positions again and again.

We haven't played a game yet, I am just going over questions we have before we start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah sorry, I missed the first part of your OP
And yup you have it right, policemen do not have to move (pg 16, "Police: Hunting the Monster" in the rulebook, for reference)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.