Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too early to really get into planning optimal play and the like, since we do not yet have access to everything, but I'm bored and impatiently waiting for expansions to arrive so figured it would be fun to explore the new expansion cards and the like we've seen in the updates while waiting for the expansions to actually arrive. Once we get the expansions in we can start talking about them in full here as well.

So I'll start out:

I'm looking forward to a double cat fang knife & Lion God statue. +1 strength tokens on perfect hits + additional strength per red square is going to be bonkers.

I'm really curious about what the Lion Knight expansion's tactics cards are going to look like (see "Lion Knight Badge" in the images of the expansion). I imagine something like formations that you draw randomly and can only use for the showdown you've drawn them for. It could really add another layer to combat.

The Sunstalker equipment looks amazingly strong. Skleaver is basically perfect slayer lite and the Apostic Crown is potentially enormously powerful with the right setup. The gear looks a little fiddlier to pull off, though. I'm getting the feeling, looking at the Sunstalker gear, that Sunstalker civilizations are going to be all about careful setup of combos and teching up. A sort of high effort/high reward approach. Pure speculation, of course, but it makes sense to me. It would be really fun, too. Quite different from how civilizations tend to build in the base game (reactive construction has been rewarding me more than carefully planning out the direction I intend to go).

How about you folks? Any cards/apparent mechanics that have caught your interest for some reason? Anything seem to combo well with something we already know about? Any wild speculation about what expansions are actually going to play like based on the small amount of evidence we now have access to? Go nuts! The crazier the theorycrafting/speculation, the more fun, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pistol - crazy.

Gloom Arrow…. rool:

Regeneration Blade (squee!)

Heavy Armor upgrades (Beetle)

I really want to see the Green Knight armor perks, it looks like each piece has some crazy bonus, and you can see the obvious usage of the beetle parts.

I am really drawn to the MH and what he brings to the game and he's got a lot of nasty perks… Lion AI cards (trained pet), survivor tracker (trying to kill them during the settlement phase and stuff), he has a (small) AI deck for sword fighting, tracking Hunt cards for increasing likelihood of the L3 prey, showing up during another Showdown… He just seems despicable. So excellent.

I've been the most stoked about a Peeps of the Sun campaign since I first saw the SS…. Praise the Sun!

The Lion Knight's Claws are interesting - and they're asymmetric - different stats and different perks, looks cool.

There's a whole barrel of awesomesauce, just waiting to ship out to door stoops across the world… that much is certain!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, People of the Sun is the campaign variant I'm going to go for first. I'm thinking People of the Sun hunting Gorm and Spidicules if that ends up being possible/feeling doable. I'll also slot in one or two of the new nemesis monsters (Lion Knight, for instance, feels like it would interact well with a People of the Sun campaign). I also think Sunstalker Armor and weapons are my favorite looking kits of the ones we're getting now.

The pistol is really interesting to me. If you look carefully at the Man Hunter image, you can see that the pistol seems to lack a weapon profile. That means it's some sort of an item instead. It's got quite a bit of small fiddly text on it, so, whatever it's doing, it's doing something quite complex, but what on earth does a pistol do if it's not a weapon?

Some other things I've noticed:

You can gain something called the "Phantom Friend" fighting art from the Slender Man expansion. I guess Slendie protects his marks? Sounds really neat from a narrative perspective, and it creates a lot of opportunities for interesting game design, too.

From what I can tell, the only bit of "loot" you get from the Lonely Tree is the Lonely Fruit, which triggers an encounter with the Lonely Lady. I had originally thought encountering the Lonely Lady would be a negative, but now I'm thinking she must be helpful in some way. She might still trap you and force a fight with the Lonely Tree monster, but there must be some sort of non-card ability or the like as a reward for the fight with the tree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
The snippet we got of spidicules looks interesting

You can cut off his legs and a settlement event requires you to have a legless ball.

I wonder if you have two options.
1) kill it and harvest it like any other monster
2) de leg it, thus making it helpless, then use it to make resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I saw this discussed before but I can't seem to find it: What number of monsters are recommended per campaign? Is it the same as the core box has, so 3 huntable, 3 nemesis and 1 boss? And I assume we can interchange 1 or more of these expansions to build custom campaigns, right? So, I could switch out the White Lion for the Gorm and have a different campaign with new gear, fighting arts, etc.?

The pistol really interests me because it doesn't have a weapon profile as mentioned. Can't wait to see how that's utilized. I actually think the Manhunter has some of the coolest gameplay effects with his sword AI, tracking of survivors, WL pet, death pit and more.

I want to know more about the Lion God and how it interacts based on the number of lions you've killed. Also really intrigued by the Necromancer and how it affects settlements. That Necomancer's Eye gear card is awesome. I really wish I could read the Golden Plate armor gear card. It looks like it interacts with fur cards? Wondering what that Triptych card is all about too.

Lion Knight looks excellent. I'm really happy his two claw cards are unique and provide different effects and stats. I love what appears to be his main mechanic of putting on a play with survivors taking on roles.

I think if you de-leg the spider, then you can use it as a loom in your settlement and start making gear from it. The little spiderlings don't appear in the KS pictures. Were those removed and turned into tiles?

I'm really interested to learn more about farming from the Dung Beetle and calcifying your gear to make it stronger too. Argh, so much stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
I know I saw this discussed before but I can't seem to find it: What number of monsters are recommended per campaign? Is it the same as the core box has, so 3 huntable, 3 nemesis and 1 boss? And I assume we can interchange 1 or more of these expansions to build custom campaigns, right? So, I could switch out the White Lion for the Gorm and have a different campaign with new gear, fighting arts, etc.?

The pistol really interests me because it doesn't have a weapon profile as mentioned. Can't wait to see how that's utilized. I actually think the Manhunter has some of the coolest gameplay effects with his sword AI, tracking of survivors, WL pet, death pit and more.

I want to know more about the Lion God and how it interacts based on the number of lions you've killed. Also really intrigued by the Necromancer and how it affects settlements. That Necomancer's Eye gear card is awesome. I really wish I could read the Golden Plate armor gear card. It looks like it interacts with fur cards? Wondering what that Triptych card is all about too.

Lion Knight looks excellent. I'm really happy his two claw cards are unique and provide different effects and stats. I love what appears to be his main mechanic of putting on a play with survivors taking on roles.

I think if you de-leg the spider, then you can use it as a loom in your settlement and start making gear from it. The little spiderlings don't appear in the KS pictures. Were those removed and turned into tiles?

I'm really interested to learn more about farming from the Dung Beetle and calcifying your gear to make it stronger too. Argh, so much stuff!

I actually think I have a fairly good grasp on what the Golden Plate Armor does. Its category is "item," so it's not a bit of armor, but it does seem to give +2 to all fur armor if you have completed certain colors and have a certain insanity threshold(the text you can read in its colored square linking description is: "depart, gain +2 armor to... wearing fur armor," which reads to me like "if you have a certain amount of insanity when you depart, gain +2 armor to all body parts where you are wearing fur armor." It also seems to give evasion right off the bat (the "vasion" right above the top of the color block effect bit). Don't know what color keying will trigger its effect, but, given the rest of the gear on display and the fact that he's supposed to be mostly supplementing lion gear, my guess is the gear keys off red blocks. So it's basically an item that gives +1/2 evasion passively and can be keyed to give +2 armor to the starting armor sets (hide/lion/antelope), greatly increasing their late game value. Antelope armor goes up to a 7/6/6/6/6 with that armor, for instance, or higher with a shield, which is actually pretty reasonable compared to late game gear.

Number of recommended hunts is an interesting question. I'd be interested to hear what other people are generally hunting in the core game right now. For me, I often choose between focusing on lions/transitioning to solely hunting antelopes near the beginning of my campaigns. I've found trying to balance between hunting lions and antelopes before moving onto the phoenix doesn't usually have the same quality of results as balancing the two. Given this, I'd imagine three huntable monsters is going to generally be the max, with maybe a splash into one or two other monsters for single hunts hoping for the items required to make gear with extremely powerful synergies with the stuff you can get from your core huntables. Given that Adam's stated the Gorm is a slow build early hunt, and given what we've seen of it, I think there's a reasonable chance that choosing the Gorm will really lock you into two monsters rather than three. (You'll be liable to have to ignore a mid level monster so as to gear up with the Gorm adequately.) I expect there will be optimal decisions for which nemesis monsters to encounter, too. Unless there's something to limit which monsters you end up going up against (such as the "hunting too many lions" bit for the Lion God), a lot of the expansion nemesis monsters will just be out and out providing better opportunities for gear than the core game nemesis monsters. Perhaps challenge level will balance that out?

One of the things that's gonna have me chomping at the bit waiting for the Lantern Festival expansion is the fact that the extra time with that expansion is liable to really open up a better chance at niche/resource intensive builds. I expect we'll have enormous difficulty grabbing the Green Knight armor, for instance, until that expansion comes around. You'll probably have to luck into getting lost in the mists to complete it until Lantern Festival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zamnath wrote:

Number of recommended hunts is an interesting question. I'd be interested to hear what other people are generally hunting in the core game right now. For me, I often choose between focusing on lions/transitioning to solely hunting antelopes near the beginning of my campaigns. I've found trying to balance between hunting lions and antelopes before moving onto the phoenix doesn't usually have the same quality of results as balancing the two. Given this, I'd imagine three huntable monsters is going to generally be the max, with maybe a splash into one or two other monsters for single hunts hoping for the items required to make gear with extremely powerful synergies with the stuff you can get from your core huntables. Given that Adam's stated the Gorm is a slow build early hunt, and given what we've seen of it, I think there's a reasonable chance that choosing the Gorm will really lock you into two monsters rather than three. (You'll be liable to have to ignore a mid level monster so as to gear up with the Gorm adequately.) I expect there will be optimal decisions for which nemesis monsters to encounter, too. Unless there's something to limit which monsters you end up going up against (such as the "hunting too many lions" bit for the Lion God), a lot of the expansion nemesis monsters will just be out and out providing better opportunities for gear than the core game nemesis monsters. Perhaps challenge level will balance that out?

One of the things that's gonna have me chomping at the bit waiting for the Lantern Festival expansion is the fact that the extra time with that expansion is liable to really open up a better chance at niche/resource intensive builds. I expect we'll have enormous difficulty grabbing the Green Knight armor, for instance, until that expansion comes around. You'll probably have to luck into getting lost in the mists to complete it until Lantern Festival.

That's why I'm wondering if we are limited to 3 huntables/nemeses per campaign, or if we can add as many (or as few) as we want. In my two core game campaigns, I've almost exclusively hunted 1 monster. I would think if we were to mix in all expansions, there wouldn't be much overall flavor to the campaign. It'll be interesting to see if there is an explicit min or max to the numbers of monsters per campaign.

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed about the Lantern Festival being delayed, as it was the one that changes the campaign the most. Hopefully the wait won't be more than a few months. And then another year or so before we see the Ram, Fox and Weaver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will any of the expansions introduce new principles? While I enjoy choosing between Graves or Cannibalism I would like a third or fourth choice to be introduced. Same with child raising. Any word?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
Will any of the expansions introduce new principles? While I enjoy choosing between Graves or Cannibalism I would like a third or fourth choice to be introduced. Same with child raising. Any word?

I hear you. I don't believe there are any principle changes coming unless they are under a Sunstalker or Dragon King campaign, but I don't think anyone knows just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Zamnath wrote:

That's why I'm wondering if we are limited to 3 huntables/nemeses per campaign, or if we can add as many (or as few) as we want. In my two core game campaigns, I've almost exclusively hunted 1 monster. I would think if we were to mix in all expansions, there wouldn't be much overall flavor to the campaign. It'll be interesting to see if there is an explicit min or max to the numbers of monsters per campaign.

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed about the Lantern Festival being delayed, as it was the one that changes the campaign the most. Hopefully the wait won't be more than a few months. And then another year or so before we see the Ram, Fox and Weaver.

It may have changed since, but Adam said around a year ago that it is just recommended that you stick to 3 huntable and 3 nemesis but you have the option of adding them however you want. Really you wouldn't want more in a single campaign because you won't have time to complete sets, but the idea of not really knowing what is coming out of the darkness next from a wide range of monsters is pretty cool as well.

I am really looking forward to the gorm. It does not look like an easy beast so it is interesting to see it being talked as an early game monster. I guess with two extra locations it is going to be pretty resource heavy to open everything up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:

I haven't heard anything about new principles, but the Sunstalker does use a unique reproduction table which, conceivably, could make Survival of the Fittest a bit more palatable. The new innovations we get access to could also open things up some even if there's nothing in the way of new principles to work from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
Green knight looks tanky

5 armour per location and a bonus 5 for a complete set. In addition to reach pieces special rules and the suits charge ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.