Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially posted this on the Mercury Expansion Forums, (why? I don't know,) but I am reposting it here for a wider audience.

Hi there, I'm a new player and playing solo doesn't give me anybody in person to bounce ideas off of that might help me learn this. I'm having trouble Mission Planning a mission that takes time and Ion rockets. I tried planning out a mission for a man to Mars and back, but it landed up taking all my budget for 11+ years and that meant starting in 1959 and not having money to test anything from that point until the start of the mission in 1970. That seems just a little crazy and inefficient, or it might be my lack of experience in understanding that that is exactly how much it takes.

Anyway, that is a long intro to a request for someone to make a video of Mission Planning for something that requires just about everything, (My mission to Mars needed everything but Juno Rockets.) I just do better learning with the auditory/visual components.

I love this game. The shorter missions I have done have really made me want to handle some of the bigger missions, but there is something that needs to get unblocked for me to grok the whole mission planning thing.

Thanks in advance. 100 to the person that post a video first and 100 to the person whose video helps me the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid question time but did the Ant Lab Games and garou videos not help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I covered Ion Thrusters in my videos. I only recently figured them out myself.

The mistake I made early in the game was always using a single Saturn rocket to boost a payload of 5 mass directly into Earth Orbit.

You can get a lot more stuff into Earth Orbit with a two-stage rocket that goes through Suborbital Flight.

It will also help to think of a single Ion Thruster and then do the math to discover the number of years a maneuver will take. For example, a spacecraft with a mass of 5 doing a difficulty 4 maneuver requires 20 thrust. 20 thrust divided by 1 Ion thruster's 5 thrust = 4 years.

Once you get the hang of driving a probe around with a single Ion thruster, you can start to add mass and additional Ion thrusters to cut the time down.

Just remember you have to draw an outcome card for each Ion thruster, and if they are damaged, they need to be repaired.

Hope that helps. Happy to make a video, but very busy with grad school and BIOS: Genesis right now, so not sure when I can get to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, Paul, I learned the game the same way you did--start with the easier missions and use traditional rockets to get there. Eventually you will need to use Ion thrusters. Start simple, and work your way up.

I made plenty of mistakes along the way. Eventually we'll grok everything (I think!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:
Stupid question time but did the Ant Lab Games and garou videos not help?

I watched the Ant Labs video. It is what sold me on the game. I also watched Ava Jaris' video that demonstrates her Excel sheet. Neither really gets into a longer mission, IIRC. I have not watched the gar0u video all the way through, but as he posted here already, he did not cover Ion Thrusters.

There is also something about the Rendezvous that messed me up in my planning when filling out a spreadsheet by hand. (I really don't do Excel very well either.) Everything just started looking messy and I lost track of things and convinced myself that even if it was technically correct, everything was way too inefficient for gameplay purposes.

If I knew a good way to post my planning sheet in the forums, I would have done that and asked for a critique, but all the formatting gets lost. Asking for a Video that I could then reference and crib off of, modifying as needed for specific missions, seemed the best way to go, learning-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the other reason I am anxious to grok mission planning is that one aspect of the game I really like is the ability to play it even when you don't have it in from of you. As long as I have the numbers, I can plan missions anywhere, even giving myself new missions not provided by the game to try, or figuring out how to best combine missions to multiple planets. It becomes a bit sandbox-like if I allow myself to not get stuck inside the structure of "Game on table. These are the voyages of my space agency. My twenty-one year mission is to accomplish these specific tasks while keeping in budget."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a fun challenge! Maybe I'll try this tomorrow, only doing a manned mission to Mars and back. I've not done anything near that complicated, so learning experiences all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope this helps:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
Hope this helps:

Thanks for the video. 100 sent.

The video definitely started me toward understanding the Ion drives and some of the changing mass in mid-mission aspects that I have been getting hung up on. The fast travel portion was an nice bonus. I had not even started to consider that yet. I will most assuredly be going through the play by forum link as well to see how others plan missions.

Just to be open about it, I'll probably wait at least a week before giving the second 100 out, just to give other videos a chance to be posted before I figure out which does the best to help me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I had something going then realized I dropped a rocket when carrying the one. More to the point, I was using Rendezvous to dock spacecraft together for the longer haul, but forgot about adding the mass of an extra rocket along the way, and didn't feeling like backtracking the math for an extra supply if I decided to use the Ion engines again right now.

I'll still work it out, but it'll take a couple extra days now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulRadagast wrote:
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
Hope this helps:

Thanks for the video. 100 sent.

The video definitely started me toward understanding the Ion drives and some of the changing mass in mid-mission aspects that I have been getting hung up on. The fast travel portion was an nice bonus. I had not even started to consider that yet. I will most assuredly be going through the play by forum link as well to see how others plan missions.

Just to be open about it, I'll probably wait at least a week before giving the second 100 out, just to give other videos a chance to be posted before I figure out which does the best to help me.

It has definitely been longer than a week so I am sending you the 100 for the best video to help me out with this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.