Subject: UK is top dog - How about the Russians rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bausman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have only played two games but both ended pretty much the same. A UK victory by 1 point. In my first game neither Germany or Japan surrendered. In the second game only Russia made it into Japan and Germany did not surrender. Both times the UK and USA went heavy with spy networks and PA markers while Russia lagged behind. Also, Russia wasted a lot of offensive support in trying to get the Eastern front moving before D-Day.
Seems like the Russians should get naval support into the Artic right away and then help the UK get to Normandy as quick as possible.

Does this sound pretty typical?

In my second game the Russians entered Japan, had 4 PA's in the Balkans and did the entire Manhattan Spy ring but were still way behind in points. Anyone have suggestions on how Russia can win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things...

If Russia got the Bomb and conquered Japan I am surprised they didn't do better....

Convoys in the Arctic help the Soviets.

The Russians and Americans need to work together to keep the Brits from dominating the conference table ("I'll help you win this one; you help me win the next").

The Russians should work with the Americans to get the second front going. The Brits are generally in no hurry there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
mbausman wrote:

Seems like the Russians should get naval support into the Artic right away and then help the UK get to Normandy as quick as possible.

Keep in mind I have yet to win and I always play as the Russians. This does sound right though. In fact, the closest I have come to winning was a game where I ignored the eastern front entirely and focused on approaching Japan. Without naval support you can get one space away from Japan for 8 points. Given that the other powers wanted the Axis to surrender, they ended up spending resources to advance the eastern front for me. I spent my resources placing pol/mil markers for points. I came close to a win.

Also, debate, debate, debate during the conferences. It is the main Russian advantage (+1 when debating) so take advantage of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pol-Mil game heavily favors the UK. If both the US and UK try to play that game (and leave the war to the Soviets) then the UK will pretty consistently come out on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
mbausman wrote:

Keep in mind I have yet to win and I always play as the Russians. This does sound right though. In fact, the closest I have come to winning was a game where I ignored the eastern front entirely and focused on approaching Japan. Without naval support you can get one space away from Japan for 8 points. Given that the other powers wanted the Axis to surrender, they ended up spending resources to advance the eastern front for me. I spent my resources placing pol/mil markers for points. I came close to a win.

Also, debate, debate, debate during the conferences. It is the main Russian advantage (+1 when debating) so take advantage of it.

It is rare for me to lose with the Soviets. You may want to find a new strategy such as conquering Germany. Check out my various strategy articles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbausman wrote:
I have only played two games but both ended pretty much the same. A UK victory by 1 point. In my first game neither Germany or Japan surrendered. In the second game only Russia made it into Japan and Germany did not surrender. Both times the UK and USA went heavy with spy networks and PA markers while Russia lagged behind. Also, Russia wasted a lot of offensive support in trying to get the Eastern front moving before D-Day.

Does this sound pretty typical?

In my second game the Russians entered Japan, had 4 PA's in the Balkans and did the entire Manhattan Spy ring but were still way behind in points. Anyone have suggestions on how Russia can win?

Here is Soviet math 101, note that you can always win two issues if you do not focus on the conference win early on:

German reserves 5

Soviets: 1 off support from card play, 3 from production, at least one Directed offensive for 2, at this point the Eastern Front has a 40% chance of advancing.

In a long game I always invest in the Arctic: 60% chance.

Then either a UK production issue: 80% chance of advance or another D.O. for an auto advance.

If the UK wants to play a Pol Mil game, which they almost always do, they will not do much without production. Most conference cards send at least one UK production to somewhere, if the Soviets pick the UK DO and the UK production, they cannot resource Pol-Mil.

Once the Eastern Front has advanced just two spaces, the game will change as the Soviets will have demonstrated that they can take Germany alone for 15 points. That's a lot of Pol-Mil...

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
mbausman wrote:

It is rare for me to lose with the Soviets. You may want to find a new strategy such as conquering Germany. Check out my various strategy articles.

Thanks! I am happy to take your advice, will check out the articles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bausman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the words of wisdom Mark. However, Russia usually faces 5 German armies on the East Front so they would need 6 Offensive support to have a 40% chance of success. A lot of Russian cards aid in getting production or directed offensives so 2 of those is probably doable. If the Russia go for this and loose the battle then they are behind the curve right away.

You mentioned that if the Russians take Germany they get 15 VP's. I see the 8 for being in Germany when it surrenders but where do the other 7 come from.

If the Russians concentrate on Japan they will get 8 for being in Japan and 8 for taking Korea. Seems like a much easier 16 points than in Europe. The Russians can use less O.S. to move the Japan front and then help the US move the Western front. Once it gets to Normandy then those German armies drop to no more than 3. (With any luck)

If the Russians get a breakthrough they can move pretty quick down the East Front track.

On the breakthrough, say the Russians have 6 OS for 12 points and their base adds 2 for a total of 14. There are 2 German armies which subtracts 4 strength giving Russia 10 strength. Since the modified strength is 8 any roll except a 1 would allow the breakthrough. Do I have the breakthrough roll correct? If so, it seems that any strength of 10 or more has a real good chance of getting a breakthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the words of wisdom Mark. However, Russia usually faces 5 German armies on the East Front so they would need 6 Offensive support to have a 40% chance of success. A lot of Russian cards aid in getting production or directed offensives so 2 of those is probably doable. If the Russia go for this and loose the battle then they are behind the curve right away.

Which is what I wrote:

Soviets: 1 off support from card play, 3 from production, at least one Directed offensive for 2, at this point the Eastern Front has a 40% chance of advancing.

I believe that 1+3+2 = 6

You mentioned that if the Russians take Germany they get 15 VP's. I see the 8 for being in Germany when it surrenders but where do the other 7 come from.

Note that the Russians get 8 VP for front in Germany, they get 5 VP for being the sole front in Germany and they get an additional 2 VP for technology (rockets, jets) = 15 VP

The strategy is if the West is off fighting a Pol-Mil conflict, wreck the UK by taking their production. Once the USSR threatens to conquer Germany then the West is faced with defeat or they have to get into the war. Once they are in the war, then the character of the game changes. If the Soviets are not forcing the war, then you give the UK too many opportunities for Political mischief.

On the breakthrough, say the Russians have 6 OS for 12 points and their base adds 2 for a total of 14. There are 2 German armies which subtracts 4 strength giving Russia 10 strength. Since the modified strength is 8 any roll except a 1 would allow the breakthrough. Do I have the breakthrough roll correct? If so, it seems that any strength of 10 or more has a real good chance of getting a breakthrough.

This is not correct... if you have a strength of 10, if you roll a zero you get a breakthrough (0=10) and all other die rolls are a one space advance. If your strength goes over 10 then you ADD to the die roll. So if your strength is 14, then you ADD 4 to the die roll hoping to get a 10 or greater.

I hope that helps,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbausman wrote:

If the Russians concentrate on Japan they will get 8 for being in Japan and 8 for taking Korea. Seems like a much easier 16 points than in Europe. The Russians can use less O.S. to move the Japan front and then help the US move the Western front. Once it gets to Normandy then those German armies drop to no more than 3. (With any luck)

If the Russians get a breakthrough they can move pretty quick down the East Front track.

If Russia enters Germany alone, they get the points for being in Germany, plus a 5 point bonus for being in there alone, plus the German tech marker points.

You don't have the breakthrough correct. You only get breakthrough if your modified roll is 10 or higher. Your roll is modified +1 for each point of strength greater than 10. So in your example, with a total strength of 10, you have no modifiers so only a roll of 10 would be a breakthrough.

Let's say the total Russian strength after adjustment for German Armies is 12. Your roll would have a +2 modifier (12 is 2 higher than 10) and a roll of 8 or higher would be a breakthrough.

To get to a roll of anything except 1 being a breakthrough your total strength after deduction for German armies would have to be 18.

Edit: ninja'd by the designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbausman wrote:

Russia does not get 8 for Korea and 8 for Japan. If they conquer Japan they "lose" the 8 for Korea. Pg 18 of the rules under "IMPORTANT"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You don't have the breakthrough correct. You only get breakthrough if your modified roll is 10 or higher. Your roll is modified +1 for each point of strength greater than 10. So in your example, with a total strength of 10, you have no modifiers so only a roll of 10 would be a breakthrough.

Let's say the total Russian strength after adjustment for German Armies is 12. Your roll would have a +2 modifier (12 is 2 higher than 10) and a roll of 8 or higher would be a breakthrough.

To get to a roll of anything except 1 being a breakthrough your total strength after deduction for German armies would have to be 18.

Edit: ninja'd by the designer

That is always hard for me to remember. You normally want to roll low on an advance but if you are gunning for a breakthrough, you want to roll high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the UK player in mbausman's second game, my second game too and first full game, I did not make Pol-Mil a priority; I was only trying to keep up with the US.

My main goals were to make progress in the CBI and Italy so I was always looking to keep my Production and "borrow" from the US or the Strategic Reserves.

I also won a few Global issues which netted me 10VP at game end.

I did manage to win 5 Conferences and helped the US win 2 of his 3, when I had no chance of winning them, better the US than the USSR!

Edit: Also, we did not track scoring during the game so I always thought the US and USSR were winning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have played 2 games. Won one with Stalin and won the other with Roosevelt. Knowing the history of the era and the meetings really helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.