Nations» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Score rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klara Kristiansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hiya All

I have grown fond of nations. The versatily and creative ideas are endlessssss!

Anyhooters.
Am I the only one who thinks a high score is not necessarily a good score?
I mean in the sense that it is weird that someone says he can score 50+ or even 60+ and his/her opponents score less than 40.

I often find our games more of wrestle where you seek the opportunity to hinder your opponents slightly more than you hinder yourself.

When we play we often roam around the mid 40ties to find a winner. (2-3 players, Prince.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game will play out differently depending on the cards and events that come up. Sometimes the winner will do so by scoring high and margins may be wide, sometimes it's a struggle for every point and margins and scores may be low.

I guess I'm not really sure what you mean by saying "a high score is not necessarily a good score." I mean, a high score isn't very useful if it's not the highest score, but that still doesn't mean it's not a good score.

Could you elaborate a little on your point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Maxime Tremblay
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm guessing he means that boasting here about scoring high does not necessarily make you a good player.

This is a tough one. I'd say, in general, his assessment is true. You could boost your point total if you played poor players, for sure. The lack of contest for some important progress cards and tracks will inflate a score.

But I'd also be willing to bet that if your group consistently win with a score in the 40s, you will get wrecked if you come play with my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Meertens
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
You gotta hang on to the trip you're on
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The level of play makes a huge difference (Chieftain, Emperor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kehmesis wrote:
But I'd also be willing to bet that if your group consistently win with a score in the 40s, you will get wrecked if you come play with my group.

I agree. I've seen so many times (in different games) people pointing out that big scores couldn't happen in their group, because people would block so much. In this game players can block mostly books & take wars. Winner should still get 50-70, if they can optimize their play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I am raising up this topic with a slightly different question to the OP. My scores in 3-player games have been in the mid 40s and may look something like this (A board and base cards):
7 VP initial
10 VP if I win the book race and take a couple golden ages
1 VP for colonies (I don't go heavy Military so will usually be unable to score colonies from ages 3-4)
5 VP for Wonders
12 VP for workers (say 4 workers on 2 VP spots, and 4 workers on 1 VP spots)
10 VP for resources
Total: 45 VP

So what should I do to bring this score in the 50s or even 60s ? In other words what are the best scoring strategies? For example, is that dependent on raising a maximum number of workers? I find it difficult to deploy more than 3-4 but perhaps I am playing too conservatively. Or are there better scoring opportunities when using B boards in the advanced/expert games that I don't know about yet?
Any insight for improving my games would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, increasing the workers is main thing you do to make more points. Every extra worker at the end basically scores 2VP+production. Increasing military at some point to get colonies at least filled is also good idea. Military at the end scores a lot. They have the most 2VP places and also "produce most resources" (since military is resource at the end).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.