Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be nice to see this game get some attention like Alien Frontiers got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different Publishers. No chance. A guy who self-professes that he charges on to the next big goal, never looking back seems to be unlikely to produce an expansion for a game. I suspect that Crash are "done" with Pay Dirt and have "moved on".

What would you look for in an expansion anyway? It's hard to see how an expansion could add anything without also having to address some of the fundamental flaws in the game - something that I'm not convinced is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What flaws? I think the game is sold. If you don't line it maybe don't post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
What flaws? I think the game is sold. If you don't line it maybe don't post
So that's the part of my response that you chose to react to? OK, as you asked: it takes too long to play for a game of its weight, it's over-sensitive to the outcome of the first auction, and the simultaneous action workaround is clunky and not robust. Now, how about responding to my question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree with the mentioned flaws, however I will admit that I'm not sure there is much room for expansion in the game. Maybe just add more options in equipment/personel? Or add something different with claims? I'm not a designer though, so meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couch wrote:
I don't agree with the mentioned flaws, however I will admit that I'm not sure there is much room for expansion in the game. Maybe just add more options in equipment/personel? Or add something different with claims? I'm not a designer though, so meeple
I have no problem with you not seeing those flaws - if everyone wanted the same from games it would be a very homogenous hobby!

Did you get the 3 "promo" mini-expansions? They really don't add much worthwhile IMO. Perhaps adding a mechanism via Claims might work, but I can't see it fixing my issues with the game. It's on my trade/sell pile and I don't expect any offers in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he's not seeing "those flaws" because they're not really flaws, just things about the game that you personally don't like. I happen to think the auction mechanic is really well done. I like the equipment variety in the mini expansions. I don't see how simultaneous play can be "clunky". But I'll agree with you on one point: the game could be a bit shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Maybe he's not seeing "those flaws" because they're not really flaws, just things about the game that you personally don't like. I happen to think the auction mechanic is really well done. I like the equipment variety in the mini expansions. I don't see how simultaneous play can be "clunky". But I'll agree with you on one point: the game could be a bit shorter.

We felt the game played really smoothly and worked well with two also. If you wanted a shorter game you could start at a lower temperature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

We felt the game played really smoothly and worked well with two also. If you wanted a shorter game you could start at a lower temperature.
I can see how it might be an acceptable length game with two players, but IMO auction games don't work well with two. I didn't say that simultaneous play is necessarily clunky, just that it is in this game. Of course any assessment that I make is subjective as is any judgement that there is a flaw, I shouldn't be obliged to caveat everything with IMO (though I try to remember to do so). Clearly the general opinion is that it isn't a stellar game - it pretty much disappeared off the radar after the KS excitement died down. I'm happy that you enjoy it as much as you do to the point where you can the needed to defend it, that's cool, you have a game you enjoy and want to evangelise - I'm the same with Arkham Horror. Just don't try to kid me that Pay Dirt is anything better than an "interesting game with niche appeal".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Clearly the general opinion is that it isn't a stellar game - it pretty much disappeared off the radar after the KS excitement died down. I'm happy that you enjoy it as much as you do to the point where you can the needed to defend it, that's cool, you have a game you enjoy and want to evangelise - I'm the same with Arkham Horror. Just don't try to kid me that Pay Dirt is anything better than an "interesting game with niche appeal".

Well... (surprise?) some folks like the game, a lot. You're obviously allowed your opinion, but really the only one attempting to evangelize in this thread is you (or 'reverse-evangelize', if you will).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couch wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Clearly the general opinion is that it isn't a stellar game - it pretty much disappeared off the radar after the KS excitement died down. I'm happy that you enjoy it as much as you do to the point where you can the needed to defend it, that's cool, you have a game you enjoy and want to evangelise - I'm the same with Arkham Horror. Just don't try to kid me that Pay Dirt is anything better than an "interesting game with niche appeal".

Well... (surprise?) some folks like the game, a lot. You're obviously allowed your opinion, but really the only one attempting to evangelize in this thread is you (or 'reverse-evangelize', if you will).

Yeah, I just got a copy and haven't heard of it before. I liked alien frontiers so I bought it on the designers pedigree. Turned out to be a really solid game. Would love to see it get the same attention that AF did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couch wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Yeah, sorry about that! While I'm entitled to my opinion, seems the OP didn't want to allow me it and I got sucked in. I can be stubborn. Still, at least you and I agree on the possible value in an expansion - if not for exactly the same reasons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Couch wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Yeah, sorry about that! While I'm entitled to my opinion, seems the OP didn't want to allow me it and I got sucked in. I can be stubborn. Still, at least you and I agree on the possible value in an expansion - if not for exactly the same reasons

No offense but I didn't start this thread to hear about what people don't' like about the game or watch others debate. Can you let those that like the game talk about ideas that are productive to the topic please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the game. Played it a bunch of times and sold it, just didn't have the wow factor anymore. But the auction works great with 2 players, a very rare thing these days, and the components are amazing. The game does go longer than it needs to be though, but am sure that goes down with experience. Tbh, I've been thinking about procuring myself another copy. So yeah, I would love to see an expansion. More events to add to the gameplay, a couple of more options of worker placement on the board, new machines, characters, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Gialouris
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And maybe some gears that are worth buying. Very few tiles are worth the cost. Or maybe some mechanic that buffs gears a bit.

(We discard the bottom tile even with more than two players since in most cases nobody buys one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
you have a game you enjoy and want to evangelise - I'm the same with Arkham Horror. Just don't try to kid me that Pay Dirt is anything better than an "interesting game with niche appeal".

Funny, I felt the same way about Arkham Horror. Couldn't someone argue the same as you about Pay Dirt, that AH is nothing more than an "interesting game with niche appeal"? The game mechanics themselves are rather repetitive and boring and it falls flat if you aren't into the whole Lovecraft/Cthulu stuff. I hear people say the fun of the game is the story that develops, however, that reinforces its reliance not upon gameplay, but rather on the niche appeal of the whole Lovecraft theme.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get that people have games that they really like and that is great, and more power to them. I just was a little confused by your statement that I quoted since the reason why you disliked one game could be applied the other game you said you really liked. Perhaps it just comes down to the fact you happen to be part of the appealed niche in the latter game but not in the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
you have a game you enjoy and want to evangelise - I'm the same with Arkham Horror. Just don't try to kid me that Pay Dirt is anything better than an "interesting game with niche appeal".

Funny, I felt the same way about Arkham Horror. Couldn't someone argue the same as you about Pay Dirt, that AH is nothing more than an "interesting game with niche appeal"? The game mechanics themselves are rather repetitive and boring and it falls flat if you aren't into the whole Lovecraft/Cthulu stuff. I hear people say the fun of the game is the story that develops, however, that reinforces its reliance not upon gameplay, but rather on the niche appeal of the whole Lovecraft theme.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get that people have games that they really like and that is great, and more power to them. I just was a little confused by your statement that I quoted since the reason why you disliked one game could be applied the other game you said you really liked. Perhaps it just comes down to the fact you happen to be part of the appealed niche in the latter game but not in the former.

Pay Dirt is a solid game and could totally befit from an expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I agree with crispy that the game has definite flaws, but I'm also curious to find out how people would answer his original question, namely:

mccrispy wrote:
What would you look for in an expansion[?]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pay Dirt is my wife's favorite game. She loves the auction portion and it really works well in a 2-player format. Because 1 category gets blocked off, there is a lot of psychological strategy she employs when bidding on something she doesn't really want and lets me have it, only to shut me out of something else I might need. Much more depth than one would initially think. Also, the worker-placement portion is very thematic as you watch the dirt move through the machines. All that said, I think it might be fun for an expansion that provides the following:
- More community worker placement locations. Currently there is only the spot to sell gold nuggets and the spot to buy Camp/Claim Gear. However, sometimes I can't really do anything with my workers and it feels like such a wasted turn. It would be great to have perhaps a few other action options. Maybe a spot that would allow you to "send a worker home early" -- that worker is unavailable for a turn, but you get some extra cash. Maybe a spot that would allow you to have a 4th claim tile. Maybe a separate deck of one-time use cards that help you in some way (ex. Selling gold nuggets this turn earns 1 extra $, you get first pick of the hardship cards this round, ...) and you can take a card by sending a worker to that location. Maybe the expansion could provide some extra equipment, claim tiles, personnel, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More places to send works, other end goals, secret scoring objectives.. etc. I wish the designer would step in before wasting our breath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that missed it: https://youtu.be/BVc9uQIg3Vs?t=5555

So no, no chance for an expansion and the game will probably stay OOP. As for the question what we would look for in an expansion for Pay Dirt: actually not much. We are quite happy with the game as it is (having all three mini expansions) and I think that more mechanics would just over complicate things. Still, there is always hope that when the rights revert to the designer that he may revisit the game at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I agree with crispy that the game has definite flaws, but I'm also curious to find out how people would answer his original question, namely:

mccrispy wrote:
What would you look for in an expansion[?]
Somewhat moot, as predicted. It's a shame for fans of the game and potentially makes my KS copy more valuable on the pre-owned market, but as they aren't exactly beating down my door, I suspect that I'm stuck with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GhundiPI wrote:

So no, no chance for an expansion and the game will probably stay OOP. As for the question what we would look for in an expansion for Pay Dirt: actually not much. We are quite happy with the game as it is (having all three mini expansions) and I think that more mechanics would just over complicate things. Still, there is always hope that when the rights revert to the designer that he may revisit the game at that point.

What does "off brand" mean ? WHo was this guy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saluga
United States
Ramsey
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
GhundiPI wrote:

What does "off brand" mean ? WHo was this guy?

That's the publisher of the game. He's probably saying this because since Crash Games joined with Geek Chic, the vision of Crash of Games (new company name) is probably going in more small games that focus on a family friendly approach. Pay Dirt might end up having to get picked up by another publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also suggest people write to crash games requesting one

http://crashgamesaz.com/contact/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.