Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
The 16th hero in our game group's custom expansion, and the fourth deck from season 3. He's a gravity-flavored telekinetic, and actually the first hero I came up with when I started thinking about doing this round of decks. He's been pretty well playtested at this point.

Mechanically, he's a fairly straight-forward damage dealer, who likes to build lots of big damage onto 1 target at a time, which means he generally favors big targets. All of his setup cards have entering-play effects, letting him be effective quickly, and he has lots of ways to burn extra ongoing cards to give him an excuse to play them again.

Hero: Impact
HP: 29
Base power: Force Blast
- Power: Impact deals 1 target 1 infernal damage. You may destroy 1 hero ongoing card to increase this damage by 2.

Incapacitated:
- One hero may use a power now.
- Select a hero target. That target deals 1 other target 1 projectile damage.
- Damage dealt to environment cards is irreducible until the start of your turn.

One-shot (Qty: 11)
-----------------------------
Accelerated collision (Qty: 4)
- Impact deals 1 target 2 infernal damage.
You may play a card.

Crushing rift (Qty: 2)
- Select a non-character target in play with current HP less than its maximum HP.
Reduce that target to half of its current HP, rounded up.

Escape velocity (Qty: 2)
- You may destroy 1 ongoing card.
Select up to 3 non-character targets in play with 2 or fewer HP. Place those targets on the bottom of their associated decks in any order.

Mass driver (Qty: 3)
- Destroy 1 environment card.
Impact deals 1 target X projectile damage, where X is the number of your Ongoing cards in play.

Ongoing (Qty: 20)
Gravitic orb (Qty: 3)
- Play this card next to a target. Impact deals that target 2 infernal damage.
When the target next to this card would deal damage, destroy this card and prevent that damage.

Inescapable pull (Qty: 3)
- When this card enters play, draw a card.
Power: select a target that Impact damaged this turn. Impact deals that target 4 infernal damage.

Slingshot trajectory (Qty: 3)
- When this card enters play, Impact deals 1 target 2 infernal damage.
Power: destroy any number of your ongoing cards. Impact deals X targets 2 projectile damage each, where X is 1 plus the number of ongoing cards destroyed this way.

Decaying orbit (Qty: 3)
- When this card enters play, Impact deals 1 target 2 infernal damage.
At the start of your turn, Impact may deal 1 target 2 projectile damage. If he does, destroy 1 of your ongoing cards.

Spatial Finesse (Qty: 3)
- When this card enters play, draw 2 cards and destroy all other copies of Spatial Finesse.
Whenever one of your Ongoing cards other than Spatial Finesse is destroyed, you may destroy this card to put it back into play.

Meditate (Qty: 2)
- When this card enters play, draw a card.
When Impact damages a target, you may destroy this card. If you do, Impact deals that target X infernal damage, where X is the amount of damage he just dealt.

Hurled Obstruction (Qty: 3)
- When this card enters play, Impact deals up to 3 targets 1 projectile damage each.
Reduce damage dealt by villain targets by 1.
At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

Ongoing, Limited (Qty: 9)
Repulsion field (Qty: 3)
- When this card enters play, Impact deals each non-hero target 1 energy damage.
Reduce damage dealt to Impact by 1.

Local microgravity (Qty: 3)
- When this card enters play, Impact regains 1HP.
The first time Impact would be dealt damage each environment turn, prevent that damage.
Power: Impact deals up to 3 targets 1 sonic damage each. Destroy this card.

Gravitational lensing (Qty: 3)
- When this card enters play, reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Replace 1 and discard the other.
Increase damage dealt by Impact by 1.

[ High-res individual images | printing instructions ]

EDIT: typo fixes, Inescapable Pull & Decaying Orbit entering-play effects now mandatory.
EDIT: made the Local Microgravity change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Some notes on how he's intended to play.
- Impact likes piling medium-to-large instances of damage onto a single target each turn. He's also got some non-damage options for dealing with cards. His deck is mostly ongoings with entering-play effects, allowing him to contribute pretty quickly. He also likes burning ongoing cards for other effects.

- His base power gives low, reliable damage and lets him trade spare ongoing cards (from anyone in the team) for a respectable boost.

- Inescapable Pull and Slingshot Trajectory are his main powers. IP gives shotgun-level damage but only against targets Impact has damaged this turn, making it great for finishing off big stuff, but it requires constant secondary sources of damage (usually one-shots), and is tricky to use the same turn you play it. ST gives slightly higher damage than his base power and a different way to spend spare ongoings; Force Blast spends them for a single higher attack, ST spends them to turn moderate damage into an AOE attack. ST can only use Impact's own ongoings; its entering-play damage effect makes it a strong early play, or allows you to put it out without taking a turn off from IP. Depending on what needs to die when, all 3 damaging powers generally remain useful throughout the game.

- Repulsion Field and Gravitational Lensing are his basic self-buffs. RF gives armor and entering-play AOE damage, making it decent as a pseudo-one-shot at any point in the game (especially for giving Inescapable Pull options). GL's damage buff is usually a priority, since he often attacks twice per turn (especially with Inescapable Pull); but like IP it doesn't provide any damage of its own when entering play (although it does help you cycle).

- Accelerated Collision is Impact's main damage one-shot. While its output isn't that high, its follow-on card play allows him set up for Inescapable Pull without slowing down (especially good prior to playing IP).

- Gravitic Orb and Decaying Orbit function as his other main damage one-shots, despite being ongoings. GO is 3 damage and prevents the target's next attack, or provides fodder for Impact's ongoing-burners (why negate the target's damage if you can kill it?). Note that the orb doesn't fade when its target dies. Decaying Orbit usually reads as "2 damage now/2 damage later" by burning itself next turn, but gives nice flexibility as another source of/reason to burn spare ongoings.

- Mass Driver and Escape Velocity are his support one-shots. MD destroys environment cards and deals low-to-respectable damage (and a reason not to burn all your ongoings constantly). EV destroys enemy ongoing cards and does away with multiple about-to-die targets without actually damaging/destroying them (or putting them in the trash at all).

- Meditate gives card draw and lets him double a future attack. Good with damage buffs (like Gravitational Lensing) since they'll apply twice.

- Crushing Rift functions as his mega-damage one-shot without actually dealing damage; it halves the HP of any damaged, non-character target. This is a little more flexible than Inescapable Pull's requirement that Impact deal the damage, but can leverage a lot of the same tricks (Accelerated Collision or Decaying Orbit to provide same-turn damage). Note that of the pre-Oblivaeon villain decks, that most this card can "deal" is 12HP (if one of Gloomweaver's relics was at 24/25 HP). That's a lot, but given the setup involved, its inability to finish off targets, and its lack of synergy with Inescapable Pull/Meditate, it's been pretty reasonable so far (usually averaging around 6-7). Note that the only similar effect in an official deck so far is the Partial Omni-Drone, and that since CR "sets" HP it bypasses things like damage immunity, damage modifiers, things that trigger off damage, etc.

- Local Microgravity gives Impact some minor environment-turn protection (usually just saving him some environment damage) along with his only healing and a one-use damaging power.

- Hurled Obstruction provides his second-best AOE entering-play damage, and gives heroes armor against villain damage for a round (assuming it lasts). Makes great fodder for Decaying Orbit since it would fade anyway.

- Spatial Finesse (my favorite card) serves as great card draw and encourages you to burn ongoings, because then you can replay them to get their entering-play effects all over again! Makes for some great combos with Force Blast, Slingshot Trajectory, and Decaying Orbit.
Alternate character cards for Impact wrote:
Hero: Renegade Impact
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Brown
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like an interesting hero. He's got a lot of ongoings, but self-card destruction ought to mitigate ever having a static playfield.

One minor typo: The first text in Spatial Finesse is missing an a word. I think it should read "When this card enters play, draw 2 cards and destroy all other copies of Spatial Finesse."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Is the damage on decaying orbit being optional and on Slingshot trajectory not optional intentionally?

Looking it over he looks really good, and really cool. He has very few cards in his deck that don't deal damage, but none of it is too big.

Nicely constructed and I like a lot of the effects.

Crushing rift reaches a maximum of 17 health reduced vs. official decks, but mostly it won't get anywhere near that high.

I like the deck a lot.

Thoughts:

With a decent amount of destroying your own ongoing cards already in the deck, would Force Blast be better off being increased if an ongoing card was destroyed during your turn?

Going that route you would want more destroy to do Y than do Y when enters play then destroy later.

Alternately you could feed the destroying with your base power by just giving some of them on destruction effects instead of when they enter play effects. A good mix would give an interesting set of options in how you build through multiple turns.

The way it is now is less driving of the destroy mechanic, since most players won't want to destroy an ongoing to gain 2 damage on the power, but if you rework it to destruction effects you get a delay in effect, and an option for bigger single turn damage at the cost of steady damage.

29 ongoings is interesting, he certainly will eat up destruction effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting hero, even when playing ongoings, he still deal damage

Couple of questions/concerns:

Escape Velocity - what about indestructible targets? Isn't that too powerful here? Wouldn't St. Simeon's Catacombs env too easy to ignore?

Gravitic Orb - what about AOE damage? If a villain is about to deal each hero target a damage when Gravitic Orb is next to him, do you prevent only the first instance or the whole fact of dealing damage? What if two Gravitic Orbs are placed next to the same target? Also, did you consider making the card a target with let's say 5 hp that absorbs the damage of the target it is next to?

Decaying Orbit - the quote has a typo - it should say your, not you.

Hurled Obstruction - is it Celadroch in the back?

Crushing Rift - is that some kind of Ram's promo in the art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siobhan Mooney
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No time to analyze the gameplay at the moment. Just want to say that the art looks amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Thanks for catching the Finesse ommission, I thought I had updated the inner text when I changed the name, apparently not.

Phantaskippy wrote:
Is the damage on decaying orbit being optional and on Slingshot trajectory not optional intentionally?
Pretty much; Orbit is the only card where the entering-play damage is optional. There's no amazing reason for it but Slingshot's only purpose is damage, so it gets to be a little more flexible, if you want to play it early but start utilizing it later.

EDIT: However, the optional draw on Inescapable Pull is a typo, and the fact that I hadn't noticed it makes me think I should just make all the effects mandatory.

The max for Crushing Rift I could come up with for a non-environment card was 12HP (Gloomweaver's relics); The Enclave has higher targets but anyone can blow them up with a single destruction card so I didn't really count them. If there was an environment deck with a large indestructible target, that might be a concern, but so far not.

I just realized last week that the partial Omni-drone actually has wording similar to this effect, so it might be better worded as "remove half its current HP, rounded down". But also pretty clear as-is, I think. Doesn't count as doing damage.

I kept away from on-destruction effects because I was going for an "entering play" theme, and because we already have plenty of delayed-gratification heroes. That said, Spatial Finesse might be my favorite card conceptually, because it turns all his entering-play effects into on-destruction effects. With some buildup time he can use it to have crazy turns.

Force Blast's main positive is flexibility; he can eat other heroes' spare ongoings if something really needs to die before he's set up. The "if something was destroyed during your turn" would gain the most during the late game when you're playing a lot of one-round effects, but by that point you should have better powers. Also it edges close to Echelon's thing.

dannte wrote:
Couple of questions/concerns:
Escape Velocity: indestructible targets can't leave play, so they're unaffected. Not sure which Catacombs cards you're referring to, but they also can't be affected by hero cards at all when you're not in the right room.

Gravitic Orb: works like any other "next damage" effect; in AoE cases, only the first hit is affected. Two orbs would be able to cancel two hits, as the first hit can't get past the first orb to trigger the second. Giving the card HP was not the intent.

Hurled Obstruction: a part of him.

Crushing Rift: yep. No ideas for it, but I like to dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Watson
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's a lot of infernal damage for a character that appears to be manipulating gravity. I'd have expected it to be energy, as infernal is usually used for 'magic' damage. Of course, that's a stylistic disagreement rather than a bug.

Local Microgravity: How does that react to things that don't do damage? Can Impact discard a card to remove Oxygen Leak when it's played? Can he do damage with a meteor storm out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, energy or physical damage.

Why the choice on it being infernal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I thought about energy, as well as pyschic, projectile, even sonic; but those are all much better represented in existing decks. And since Writhe's shadow stuff is represented as infernal, I figured why not. Kind of a dark matter/non-physical force effect.

Microgravity is a weak point in his card wording. Since it's a) not integral to his play and b) not all that strong, it hasn't been much of an issue, but it does leave a lot open to interpretation. We play it as: anything the environment card says that would affect him that turn, doesn't. So he can't contribute to discard/destruction costs. He also ignores any damage +/- to himself. He can be picked for damage based on his HP, but he's immune to the damage and any riders. Environment cards that buff other cards which then attack him are OK. Environment cards with their own immunities or armor still have that against him.

The main intent of the card was to avoid damage, discard, and destruction surprises, and the power is for flavor and not really needed, so there might be a better (slightly longer) way to word it that I haven't thought of. Thoughts welcome.

EDIT: Meteor Storm wouldn't make Impact immune to damage on that first turn, but everything else would still be immune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Probably best worded:

Impact cannot be affected by effects of Environment cards on the turn they enter play.

I really like it because it also will at times stink, like Atlantean Font of Power you wouldn't get the card play, which also makes the power important, so you can get rid of it if you need/want to.

It will work a lot like Isolated Hero from Miss Information, so there will always be some confusing cases, but it isn't a big deal in this case because it will only be 1 or two cards a turn, and only the environment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Not sure if I see any difference with that wording, and "affected by effects" sounds clunky to me. Leaving as-is for now.

I did update the images with a few small typo fixes and tweaks, mainly changing Inescapable Pull and Decaying Orbit's enter-play effects to be mandatory (like all the rest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, awesome art, as usual!

Crushing Rift + Meditate looks like a pretty effective combo...! I like that, despite looking too strong, Crushing Rift has some key limitations that make it feels right at its place in this game. Good job...!

Also:

tosx wrote:
Crushing Rift: yep. No ideas for it, but I like to dream.

Is this some kind of challenge!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Quick note, Crushing Rift does not deal damage, so it does not work with Meditate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:
Quick note, Crushing Rift does not deal damage, so it does not work with Meditate.

Ok, I see. Is this wording canon in SotM? I can't think of a card which "reduces HP" off the top of my head...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
The only other card that does anything like this is the partial Omni-drone from Omni-IV. There it's for a different goal, but is worded "remove 25 HP from this card."

Crushing Rift could be worded "remove half of that target's current HP, rounded down," but I think it's clearer to state the amount of HP they should end up with. The Omni-drone doesn't have this issue because there's a number in there that never changes.

Hence the current wording, and the lack of any mention of damage being dealt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:
The only other card that does anything like this is the partial Omni-drone from Omni-IV. There it's for a different goal, but is worded "remove 25 HP from this card."

Crushing Rift could be worded "remove half of that target's current HP, rounded down," but I think it's clearer to state the amount of HP they should end up with. The Omni-drone doesn't have this issue because there's a number in there that never changes.

Hence the current wording, and the lack of any mention of damage being dealt.

Ok, I get it. I have to admit that it is legitimatley cool and thematic, but might be a little confusing... Is there a reason for this particular wording? The only reasons I can think of is 1. gets around damage reduction and 2. avoid the meditate combo.

With onyl two copies of both Crushing Rift and Meditate, I figured it was a legitimate, yet powerful and very thematic combo. Did you consider having crushing rift dealing irreducible damage...? Just thinking out loud...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
The fact that it 'sets' the target to an HP amount, without doing damage, is pretty big. It means:
- You ignore armor, damage buffs, and any effects that trigger off damage.
- You ignore redirection, prevention, and immunities.
- You ignore inability to deal damage.

So you can't ever increase the amount of HP you knock off, or combo it with other effects...but the amount won't ever be decreased, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:
The fact that it 'sets' the target to an HP amount, without doing damage, is pretty big. It means:
- You ignore armor, damage buffs, and any effects that trigger off damage.
- You ignore redirection, prevention, and immunities.
- You ignore inability to deal damage.

So you can't ever increase the amount of HP you knock off, or combo it with other effects...but the amount won't ever be decreased, either.

Fair point. I like how many of his cards are aiming at "him not being bothered by exterior influence". Crushing Rift is plain HP reducing, Microgravity avoids impromptu environment effects, Gravitic Orbs putting a target in a small cage, etc.. Altough, all of these effects are temporary too. It's as if you all thought it through in advance!

Definitey keep this card that way. It is very unique and flavorful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, Affected by effects is rough.

Cannot is the standard wording in Sentinels. I think it is clear as is, just trying to think how that would be worded officially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Perry
msg tools
I believe that there are a few "ignore" effects in the game that reference the phrase "game text," since that is an actual, anatomical part of Sentinels cards.

Adding "game text" doesn't solve the ambiguity problem completely, but it might sound something like: "Impact is not affected by the game text of environment cards during the turn they enter play." --- Or something like that.

At the risk of making the effect more (too?) powerful, you could do a more global "Environment cards have no game text during the turn they enter play."

Food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Phantaskippy wrote:
Cannot is the standard wording in Sentinels
Interesting, wasn't aware of this. That said, what about "is immune to damage" etc?

You could do "is not affected by the game text of" or "cannot be affected by the game text of" but as mentioned, those don't solve the ambiguity, and I think any increase in length means losing/simplifying the power, so I'm reluctant to expand the current text unless there's an improvement to clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Timmerman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am always torn when I see a new deck from you Tosx.

I know they will be awesome.
I know I want it and don't want to wait.
I know that I really have better things to spend money on.
I know I'll end up buying it sooner rather than later.

Keep up the good work (but not so fast that my wallet screams ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Tobias
msg tools
Another deck! I've already got hype building up in my game group for the next cauldron expansion. And these decks look amazing as always. Thank you for your amazing work and willingness to share it with everyone. My only question is how many decks are you planning for the Stormfall expansion? I can't wait to see them up on the cauldron website so I can get these made up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Something Ridiculous
msg tools
mbmb
For microgravity: The current wording also doesn't note whether the Impact player is affected. I'm not sure if there's a rule precedent for that, but you may want to make this card's effect on the player explicit.

"Impact and all cards in Impact's play area are not considered in play when determining the effects of environment cards on the turn they enter play. You may not affect or by affected by environment cards on the turn they enter play."

Annoyingly lengthy, but I think it covers everything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.