Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan G
Germany
Ahaus
Northrhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just played a game where we decided to ignore a crisis card. I don't know the name of the card right now, but it said we had to add 1 starvation marker to the pool and lose 1 morale. Now it is a bit unclear, does the -1 morale already represent the starvation marker, or does the starvation marker additionally remove 1 (or x, if you have multiple already in pool) morale?

Option 1:
Add starvation marker to pool, lose 1 morale, nothing else happens

Option 2:
Add starvation marker, lose x morale for the markers in pool, then additionally lose 1 morale

Option 3:
Add starvation marker, lose 1 morale, in colony phase lose x morale again for the marker

Which one is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
From my understanding of the situation the solution should be a combination of the 1st and the 3rd but with a small note. You lose one morale because of the crisis and add the starvation token. If during the "feeding" phase you have not enough food, you'll lose morale counting the additional starvation token.
I might be wrong but.. I believe this would be the outcomes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan G
Germany
Ahaus
Northrhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That would be my understanding, too, so we played it that way. But not sure if it was correct. Had not such a big impact, though, at least in that session. It decided only whether we won the game with 1 or 2 morale left
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the correct option is 1; which, not incidentally, is exactly as the crisis card is spelled.

Also notice that the Resolve Crisis step is the 3rd of the colony phase, while Pay Food is the 1st. This means that the additional starvation token would have an effect only since the following round and - as always - only if there is not enough food to feed the colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the check for food comes before the resolve crisis phase therefore the added starvation will have no effect that round. However, I was of the understanding that you always lose a morale due to a starvation token (on subsequent rounds) regardless if you have enough food to satisfy the needs of the colony. I believe the comment in one video I watched was "they never forget that they went hungry".

TLS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Thelegitsandman wrote:
[...]I was of the understanding that you always lose a morale due to a starvation token (on subsequent rounds) regardless if you have enough food to satisfy the needs of the colony. I believe the comment in one video I watched was "they never forget that they went hungry".
TLS

That's not what the rules states, however. Is there a FAQ on this issue?
Thematically, that comment is still valid if the survivors starve a second time during the game, but I think it can't stand for the rounds in which there's enough food for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter rules wrote:

Pay Food: Remove 1 food token from the food supply
for every 2 survivors in the colony (rounded up).

Remember that helpless survivor tokens count as
survivors for this purpose.
Note: Survivors at locations other than the colony do not count
towards the total number of survivors in the colony. They are
considered to be foraging food for themselves and so do not
require food be paid from the supply.

If there are not enough food tokens do the following in
order:
• Do not remove any food tokens.
• Add a starvation token to the food supply.
• Decrease morale by 1 for each starvation token
currently in the food supply.

Starvation tokens are only checked if there is not enough food to feed the colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks. I heard it in a video - I think the one with the designer playing it! Maybe not. Anyway, thank you for clearing that up.

TLS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.