Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Burkhard
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing T&E for awhile now, usually participating in 3-4 games at a time on BGG and playing a game or two per week face to face. The more that I play, the more different strategies I see. I am NOT an expert, by any means (as many of my opponents on BGG can attest,) but I have found a couple of nice plays in my time.

I don't want everyone to give up their best strategies, but a list of good tips might be helpful for new players.

A few that I have come up with:

- Place your key leaders, especially those attached to a Monument, on a temple with a treasure. This ensures that the tile cannot be "Disasterized," taking both of your leaders off of the board in one play.

- If, early in the game, an opponent is building towards an unattached treasure, hoping to grab it with a weak green leader, you can attach your Green Trader to the treasure. This works especially well if you have three or more green tiles in your mix. Your opponent must either forgo the treasure, or connect, forcing an External conflict. If he attacks, you have a good chance at pulling out your 3 tiles to beat him and grab an early fistful of green points.

- Sometimes, the end of the game is near and the score is close and your opponent must grab some green/blue/whatever color points to beat you. You notice that he has amassed a nice force to attack you with an external conflict. There are occassions when a retreat is the best policy. Pull your leader away from your civilization and place it in some far-off corner, where it cannot be attacked. Your opponent is stuck without a civilization to attack in the color that he needs. If you can then quickly follow up with a tile swap to end the game, even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Ben-Ezra
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Good T
Spread out your leaders between several kingdoms. This gives two advantages.

First, since more than one person is adding to the kingdom, someone else is increasing the "influence" (i.e. the reach) of the entire kingdom, which then improves the influence of the leader(s) that you have in that kingdom.

Second, the chances of your profiting from an external conflict increase. Generally speaking, one kingdom gets beat up in an average external conflict. Having leaders on both sides of the line enables you to gain VPs, regardless of who loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Burkhard
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other tips...
I continue to play this game with great regularity on BGG and find that evels of depth of tactics and strategy continuing to be revealed. I easily find this to be the very best game I have ever played.

I have come across more decent tips:

-Try to protect the available temple tiles on your kingdoms. If you leave an open space with two or three adjacent red tiles, you are simply asking for an internal conflict. For this reason, the starting treasure tile at E-14 is a good starting tile, as the attachment of two leaders bars any internal conflicts until additional red tiles are added.

-In most games, but especially two player games, disaster tiles are good as gold. Do not use them unless you absolutely have to. Any player without disaster tiles is at a great disadvantage to someone who has disasters remaining.

-Always watch for kingdoms that can be split apart through the movement of a leader. These can easily swing the balance of power on the board in your favor, or against you, depending upon which side of the split you are on.

-Keeping a strong and cohesive kingdom is essential. Try to build so that a disaster cannot split your kingdom in pieces or sever all of your strength in a color.

-Chasing treasures relentlessly can often lead to a kingdom formed in a long chain, easily broken by disasters and invaded by others. Take treasures when they are available, but don't base your entire game strategy on treasure seeking.

-One very strong color, well protected from internal conflicts, can be used over and over again to bully other kingdoms on the board. My personal favorite color for doing this is black, but blue can work well, too. Red does not work for this at all, as often red tiles stay on the board after an external conflict and kingdoms are not split apart by red external conflict.

-Make sure that you have all of your external conflicts worked out ahead of time. This is especially important when you and your opponent both have leaders in each kingdom. If you beat him in one color, will his tiles coming off the board sever your support in other colors?

-If you think that you can only beat your opponent on one of the three colors facing off in an external conflict, make sure to join to the tile of that color when you start the conflict. That way, when you win the conflict, the opponents tile is removed and there is no longer a joined kingdom and your other two colors are still safe. This works well when your victory will remove lots of tiles of your opponent, splitting his kingdom into pieces.

-A good time to build a monument is after an external conflict when there is no strength in nearby kingdoms in your monument base color to oppose you.

-Don't be afraid to complete a monument in your opponent's kingdom in a color in which you are strong nearby. The momument will take away three tiles worth of external strength from your opponent. If you can follow up with a successful external conflict in that color, you will win control of the monument anyway!

-After external conflicts, there are often stray tiles spread out on the board. If you have a leader out of play, look to use these stray tiles to give yourself instant external power in the color that you are missing. Even one tile of additional strength can be very helpful.

Please feel free to add in any other tips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Some other tips...
If your opponent leaves 3 out of 4 spaces in one color, finish the monument for him and choose a color that he dosen't have a leader down for. Then you can place your leader and get half the benefit of the monument.

Even if you can't directly benefit from the monument, sometime it's a good idea to complete it anyway and choose a secondary color that the other player is already strong in. Preventing him from getting points in a weak color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Burkhard
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Strength of Red.
I have decided to revise my original statement above. In the section talking about the establishment of one predominant "bully" color that you can use again and again to crush other civilizations on the board, I originally said that blue and black make for good bully colors and that red does not.

I amend this. I have found that establishing red as a bully color can be useful. I like to keep an eye on the board at the beginning of the game and watch for a kingdom with 2 or 3 red tiles, but no red leader. I then like to jump in there with my red leader and build up good red support. Sometimes, you can get a real jump on red support, using this to bully other civilizations on the board in that color.

It also helps if the Trader leader in your Priest's Kingdom is out fishing for treasures, which gives you extra red support without any effort on your part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Good T&E Tips....
There is a risky tactic that can be used when you want to attack a kingdom and are behind in a few influence tiles in your own kingdom. It only works when there is a placement for completing a monument which is on the colour you are attacking.

- Place a fourth tile in the opponents kingdom (with respect to the colour you wish to weaken)
- Create a monument that would hopefully benefit yourself after a successful external conflict (or at least not help them as much, in the case of a loss)
- Now, with their loss of 3 influence (to your use of one) tiles, create an external conflict.

In a situation where it is, for example, 4 (opponent) vs 2 (you) and you only have 1 tile in your hand, you can use that one tile to reduce their on-board influence to 1. This would leave it at an advantage for yourself. Although this is not a perfect strategy, I have used it at times when I was either confident of a victory or desperate enough to risk giving the opponent a benefiting temple.

NOTE wrote:
I just noticed that something similar was mentioned above, but I overlooked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bech D
msg tools
mb
habermanm wrote:
Even if you can't directly benefit from the monument, sometime it's a good idea to complete it anyway and choose a secondary color that the other player is already strong in. Preventing him from getting points in a weak color.

That is generally a mistake because you can simply place the fourth tile and choose NOT to complete the monument!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you understand his point. By building the monument, you have just weakened him by 3, and can assail him more easily than before. Not building the monument as you say, just made him 1 strength stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
petar todosic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

silverpenny has started a great thread here, and I am looking forward to the continuation of the posts (if there is to be any more..)

In the meantime, is there a one place now where a sum of the strategies is listed? I've found a couple of posts on other sites but It's all chaotic when you look at it..

TX

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
petar todosic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatWolf wrote:

Second, the chances of your profiting from an external conflict increase. Generally speaking, one kingdom gets beat up in an average external conflict. Having leaders on both sides of the line enables you to gain VPs, regardless of who loses.

Hey there

Would you be kind to illustrate this second advantage, I have a little trouble visualizing it. Thanx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.