Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: Chaos Magicians no towns win rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marek Zurek
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An unusual situation occured during one of my league games. Playing with Chaos Magicians I managed to achieve a win, without forming even a single town, and ending up with only 9 structures on board:

http://terra.snellman.net/faction/4pLeague_S11_D7L7_G6/chaos...

To be honest, while having almost 50 online and a few dozens "live" games behind my belt, I never witnessed a situation where a player ends up with no towns at all (not to mention winning such game)...

Have anyone of you had a similar experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Building towns of course helps to get high score as they are a significant source of vps, but it's only a part of a possible score. Let's estimate that a town may be worth roughly 11vp - that's TW8 - usually a bit more, because tw8 often isn't the best choice.
So if you build 1, 2, 3 towns more, you could roughly say that this is 11, 22, 33 VP more from towns and usually some points less on other hand, because you usually invest something more to build a town compared to just building somewhere (more spades, fav5,...).
In most cases buulding between 2 and 3 towns is most efficient, because you build the structures needed for this anyway and the gain of 11VP is usually easily worth a relativly small overhead needed for a town.
But under some cicumstances it may of course be even efficient to build 4 towns or inefficient to form a second or maybe even your first town.

Here's a pretty highlevel game where Auren win with zero towns and a pretty good score:
http://terra.snellman.net/game/MelchiorFoursome1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Zurek
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceTrucker wrote:

Here's a pretty highlevel game where Auren win with zero towns and a pretty good score:
http://terra.snellman.net/game/MelchiorFoursome1

Great example. Apart from not bulding a town, auren ended up also pretty low on cult tracks, which is quite unusual for that race - and yet got a great result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C TK
Canada
flag msg tools
One minor thing I would add is that one of the reasons it's hard to win with no town is the fact that it prevents reaching 10 on a cult track which usually creates a relative disadvantage in endgame scoring. If you're playing a cult faction and may only form 1 town, you may end up taking tw6 just so you can win two cults instead of one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be noticed that additional scoring was active, which both leads to a bit higher scores and renders towns a bit less important, as there is a significant additional way to score points.
(But if you substract the additional scoring Auren would still have won with a decent score)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Zurek
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CTKShadow wrote:
One minor thing I would add is that one of the reasons it's hard to win with no town is the fact that it prevents reaching 10 on a cult track which usually creates a relative disadvantage in endgame scoring. If you're playing a cult faction and may only form 1 town, you may end up taking tw6 just so you can win two cults instead of one.

This is situational. It depends how much other players are pushing the cult tracks (often you can win a cult, while being far away from reaching 10), and how much you rely on cult track points for your final score.
I believe that a lack of additional resources gained for building a town (except for TW8) may be a bigger problem here.

Looking at the both examples presented here, I think to if you decide not built any towns, then you should make that decision in the first round for the game, and make sure to look for points and resources elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.