Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

For all these long years I have kept my starting decks per set separated. This seems to be the right thing to do as I don't see a reason to mix them up beyond personal taste. I also feel the starting decks for each set seem to have a bit more of synergy.

However, for draftring -

I noticed I have never played with any of my promos. Ever! And I have them all. Reason being is that, like the starting decks, I have my draft decks sorted by sets.

I just found someone else who seems to love the game (it, as well as board gaming in general, are new to him). So we have been playing quite a bit. The question came up about how to choose which draft deck. One thought led to another and then I wondered why am I keeping the draft decks separate. So - for those of you who own multiple or all available cards in Nightfall, do you just use on giant Draft deck? And then deal out cards randomly from there as well as the cards for the personal archive? Or do you keep the draft decks sorted by the sets the came from? I assume there may be some synergy there, but then maybe not. Maybe it's just better to have them all jumbled together. My only concern with such a large pool is some colors could just get bamboozled on the drafts.

Not a pressing question, but I'm about ready to mix the entire lot of draft cards together. Just wanted to see if there was a reason, or common method, for dealing with the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
When mixing a lot of sets, I prefer to take a bit more time in the draft to make sure I have a smaller, balanced draft deck. Instead of sorting your draft cards by set, sort them by color. Then shuffle each color and count out 10 or so of each, preferring a somewhat balance between actions and minions. Do this for each color then shuffle those 60 cards into the deck you actual draft from.

Some will keep this custom draft deck separate and draft from it a few times before building a new draft deck to save time. Others just use the web tool to handle the draft for them: http://m.s3rvant.com

Still others prefer a more complex draft via the booster pack draft style and use its web tool for setup: http://nf.s3rvant.com/draft
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terra Nystrom
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have nearly everything--we're just missing a couple promos--and we use just one giant draft deck. When drafting with the big deck, we deal out 10 cards to each player, so that there's more variety from which to choose. We have never had an issue with color doing it this way and we generally play once a month or so (we might just have always been lucky).

We have tried David's recommended methods and they work too, but I usually don't want to put that much time in--I'd rather just shuffle the whole thing and go. David's method does result in significantly better kicker combos; the way we do it using the giant draft deck, the kickers have less chance of being triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.