Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: D6 generation and Tom Vasel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all the D6 generation most recent podcast Ep 183 has a preview of Rebellion with Tom Vasel.


http://www.thed6generation.com/
15 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas F
msg tools
Cool!

Interesting that he's lost so much as the Empire. I'd heard some concerns from other reviews that Empire was too overpowered.

Maybe the balance (albeit still asymmetrical, as it should be) isn't too big of an issue after all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
---------ViSiT---------- ------------------------- DockingBay416.com -------------------------- ----------for some---------- -------------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Man geeks can be the most annoying dorks sometimes. That first five minutes was unbearable to listen to. Why do some people thing annoying is funny?

Anyway, for those of you with a similar temperament and want to cut to Tom talking about Rebellion, it starts around the 1 hour 20 minute mark.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Man geeks can be the most annoying dorks sometimes. That first five minutes was unbearable to listen to. Why do some people thing annoying is funny?

Anyway, for those of you with a similar temperament and want to cut to Tom talking about Rebellion, it starts around the 1 hour 20 minute mark.


Doing the lords work there.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Man geeks can be the most annoying dorks sometimes. That first five minutes was unbearable to listen to. Why do some people thing annoying is funny?

Anyway, for those of you with a similar temperament and want to cut to Tom talking about Rebellion, it starts around the 1 hour 20 minute mark.


Omg, you were not kidding. I went to listen to it thinking, 'meh, probably not that bad'. I don't know what that guy is thinking but I wanted to strangle him instantly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cann
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, the first few minutes were definitely an embarrassment of riches. I especially liked the attempt, and I use that word loosely, to impart some inane historical fact with mockingly faux french.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
R2EQ wrote:
Man geeks can be the most annoying dorks sometimes. That first five minutes was unbearable to listen to. Why do some people thing annoying is funny?

Anyway, for those of you with a similar temperament and want to cut to Tom talking about Rebellion, it starts around the 1 hour 20 minute mark.


Omg, you were not kidding. I went to listen to it thinking, 'meh, probably not that bad'. I don't know what that guy is thinking but I wanted to strangle him instantly.


Defenestration. Based on a French word. Went through my mind, like an open window . . .
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
Quote:
Why do some people thing annoying is funny?


What was annoying about it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how some people might enjoy it. It's fast and high-energy. I never particularly cared for the whole "geeks celebrating our geekery" revelry that seems so trendy. D6G's morning-zoo format never charmed me either. But, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
---------ViSiT---------- ------------------------- DockingBay416.com -------------------------- ----------for some---------- -------------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Draffut wrote:
Quote:
Why do some people think annoying is funny?


What was annoying about it?


That's hard to explain, kind of like asking why some comedians are funny and others embarrassing to watch. I'm sure there are more intelligent people out there that can put it into words, but I can't, other than to say, some people have social awareness and humour skills while others don't.

Now, that's not to say anything negative about a persons worth as a human being. It's just that people have varying strengths in different areas of life.

In geek terms, his real life character has a terrible charm stat and he rolled the worst possible result while trying to be entertaining.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like D6 Generation. There style is unique, and not for everybody, but the detail they give to a game is second to none.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They must be doing something right. I remember starting to listen to them over five years ago, and they're still around and still at it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garrett
msg tools
youperguy wrote:
I actually like D6 Generation. There style is unique, and not for everybody, but the detail they give to a game is second to none.


Maybe they were off their game, here, but I felt like the whole interview here was pretty bad. For those who haven't listened to it, they manage to go a full 40 minutes without sharing a single piece of information that's not available in the previews we've already seen. It's also the case that the interviewers seem to have done no research on the game beforehand, asking "So, uh, are the objectives symmetrical, or asymmetrical?" and, at one point, "So, is the rebel base always on Hoth?" I understand that they may have wanted to keep the review accessible to people who'd never heard of the game before, but this honestly felt more like unpreparedness than anything else.

Unfortunately, Tom's not much more helpful than his interviewers, at times just giving wrong information (he claims that Kamino's on the board, when it's not), and also blanking on basic Star Wars lore ("The rebels start with Princess Leia, two generals, and uh... their leader, uh... Moth... You know, that 'Moth' woman.") He also just didn't do his own homework on the game: at one point, he says, "Apparently there's a computer game out there, that's, uh, I think it's called something similar." I suppose he's not wrong; Star Wars: Rebellion is awfully similar to Star Wars: Rebellion. But...

I guess I can't help but feel like this is a missed opportunity. Some of us are really excited for new information about this game, and instead, we got a bit of a stinker. It's not easy to listen to, and it ends up being a 40-minute recap of what we already know, which one could honestly read in ten minutes.
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
I think it just was meant to be a simple preview. They may have taken the point that if they don't know much about the game themselves then many of their listeners wouldn't. Sure, it doesn't tell us anything new but what else apart from more card reveals and specific rules clarifications can we actually be told at this point?

I do agree, though, that they could have talked more about how it is to play the game, rather than rules details.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
I actually like D6 Generation. There style is unique, and not for everybody, but the detail they give to a game is second to none.


I actually thought it was fine once the intro guy stopped doing his damnedest to be over the top annoying guy. I enjoyed the preview, and even "that guy", what ever his name may be, was fine as soon as he stopped trying to be funny.

But that intro... I wanted to force choke him.
ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect FFG was pretty specific about what could and could not be revealed in a preview for Rebellion. Also, Tom likes space and sci fi games, but he is not a dyed in the wool Star Wars fan the way some folks are. He's a game reporter, not a Star Wars reporter, and if you expect him to tell your Ozzel's from your Needa's you will go home disappointed. He will tell you if he thinks a game is good and can tell you why, though. As for the D6 Generation...if you don't like it don't listen to it. They aren't charging you money to download their podcast, it's not like they are ripping you off. They have a specific style of presentation that has served them very well and allowed them to record almost 200 shows over the last 5 years. That's almost 600 hours of gamer nonsense.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmkraehe wrote:
I suspect FFG was pretty specific about what could and could not be revealed in a preview for Rebellion. Also, Tom likes space and sci fi games, but he is not a dyed in the wool Star Wars fan the way some folks are. He's a game reporter, not a Star Wars reporter, and if you expect him to tell your Ozzel's from your Needa's you will go home disappointed. He will tell you if he thinks a game is good and can tell you why, though. As for the D6 Generation...if you don't like it don't listen to it. They aren't charging you money to download their podcast, it's not like they are ripping you off. They have a specific style of presentation that has served them very well and allowed them to record almost 200 shows over the last 5 years. That's almost 600 hours of gamer nonsense.


What are you talking about? He did a live gameplay on youtube. I.e., there's nothing left to spoil; if it's in the game, he showed/discussed it. And Tom may have trouble with Mon Mothma's name, but he's at least average to above average in Star Wars lore knowledge. For example, you can see that he knew Han Solo is from Corelia from watching the references he makes in the gameplay video. You had to have knowledge beyond the movies from that.

More power to D6, I wish them well. Just voicing my opinion that "that guy" is obnoxious... at least in the intro of this podcast. And I am not alone in this assessment.

Someone please tell me his name so I can stop referring to him as "that guy". My ire needs a name.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cawatrooper9 wrote:
Cool!

Interesting that he's lost so much as the Empire. I'd heard some concerns from other reviews that Empire was too overpowered.

Maybe the balance (albeit still asymmetrical, as it should be) isn't too big of an issue after all.


He's not a strategic genius and will admit that often. In the play through I've seen he did a lot of stupid moves, and mismanaged his military greatly.

I think the rebel side actually favors the inexperienced. You don't have much to control, you're not trying to control the entire board, you are just trying to run down the clock. If the heat is on and the Imps are closing in on the base, you can relocate.

The Imps have to be ready for that relocation, and he clearly wasn't.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Tom mentions something that we didn't know for certain before is that in the advanced game setup the starting planets are random. Apart from the Rebel base, of course. How random though, is still unclear. Obviously it would only be populous planets, and maybe the Imperial player draws several more than he needs and chooses. Details that will have to wait until we get the rule book.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
Tom mentions something that we didn't know for certain before is that in the advanced game setup the starting planets are random. Apart from the Rebel base, of course. How random though, is still unclear. Obviously it would only be populous planets, and maybe the Imperial player draws several more than he needs and chooses. Details that will have to wait until we get the rule book.


One of the previews indicated that those starting planets are picked from the probe deck - some of them have rebel loyalties on them, some have imperial loyalties on them, and some are neutral. You draw enough cards until you have your 3 rebel starting planets, your 2 imperial loyal planets, and your 2 subjugated planets, respectively.

Seems pretty simple to me. This does mean that the setup is not entirely random - but rather randomly chosen from a number of possible choices. Corellia will never start rebel for instance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Full disclosure: I've never listened to this podcast before, so I don't have any affinity with it or connections to the host. So maybe their 'chatter' is lost on me...

But OMG that first 20-30mins was awful.

First 10 mins we get a demented guy shouting absolutely random **** at our eardrums. Followed by random chatter.

I can't believe how many podcasts get this simple thing wrong.

When you're podcasting, it's not for the hosts to socialise, catchup or talk ****, it's for the listeners to gain something out of it

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:
I can't believe how many podcasts get this simple thing wrong.

When you're podcasting, it's not for the hosts to socialise, catchup or talk ****, it's for the listeners to gain something out of it
Only because you bolded and italicized it... sometimes, those two are one in the same. Sometimes a podcast is just as much about personality as it is about edification. I'm not going to criticize how you enjoy podcasts, but I don't think that's a good generalization.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:
jonboyjon wrote:
I can't believe how many podcasts get this simple thing wrong.

When you're podcasting, it's not for the hosts to socialise, catchup or talk ****, it's for the listeners to gain something out of it
Only because you bolded and italicized it... sometimes, those two are one in the same. Sometimes a podcast is just as much about personality as it is about edification. I'm not going to criticize how you enjoy podcasts, but I don't think that's a good generalization.



Bingo. Different shows are for different audiences. While there are a few objective things a podcast can get wrong--poor audio, talking over one another, too much background noise--the rest of it is very much subjective.

As I say, they've been doing this five years, I enjoy their conversational style. If it's not for you, a quick search of iTunes podcast store shows dozens of others. Go check 'em out.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Xatham wrote:
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
Tom mentions something that we didn't know for certain before is that in the advanced game setup the starting planets are random. Apart from the Rebel base, of course. How random though, is still unclear. Obviously it would only be populous planets, and maybe the Imperial player draws several more than he needs and chooses. Details that will have to wait until we get the rule book.


One of the previews indicated that those starting planets are picked from the probe deck - some of them have rebel loyalties on them, some have imperial loyalties on them, and some are neutral. You draw enough cards until you have your 3 rebel starting planets, your 2 imperial loyal planets, and your 2 subjugated planets, respectively.

Seems pretty simple to me. This does mean that the setup is not entirely random - but rather randomly chosen from a number of possible choices. Corellia will never start rebel for instance.

That seems pretty cool. Is that method explicitly stated somewhere? I don't recall seeing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:
Full disclosure: I've never listened to this podcast before, so I don't have any affinity with it or connections to the host. So maybe their 'chatter' is lost on me...

But OMG that first 20-30mins was awful.

First 10 mins we get a demented guy shouting absolutely random **** at our eardrums. Followed by random chatter.




lol
ikr?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.